daughter in hospital,suppose to cruise dec 5th legend,what to do?

dirtracer27x

[quote name='Charleyann']i hope your daughter gets well soon. I hope you make some gain with Carnival !

Forget those who feel the need to lecture and slam you. Unfortunately this forum does little to curb and nastiness and bullying that goes on here .

People who live in glass house should not thrown stones ! They should not be the ones to cast the first stones....[/QUOTE]

I really do not think that anyone is lecturing or slaming the op but trying to make everyone aware of how important having travel insurance can be in certain instances. If I was reading this post and it was my first cruise I would consider buying insurance.

If people book online or on the phone directly with Carnival, where do they get their
cancellation and travel protection info? I've always used a travel agent, so that info
is explained to me. I'm just wondering if the direct booked passenger gets a print out
of the policy. If they do, then there is no leg to stand on when cancelling within
the penalty period. It's pretty cut and dried.......if you want to gamble, don't get
the insurance.
As far as reselling the cruise......I don't think there's a chance of that.....Homeland
Security might not allow name changes this close to Dec 5, even if Carnival did.

[quote name='racer102354']I truly hope your daughter is healing from her surgery. I too was going to be traveling Dec 13th with a party of 14 people with whom I was paying for everyone. My husband had a massive heart attack and kidney's failed back in August, 2010. He only had 2 hours to live and I almost lost him. I am thankful he is still alive with me. With him being on dialysis he would not be able to cruise. I called and spoke to someone at their main office in FL and sent all paperwork to them for their review and guess what???? They will not do anything but give us a cruise credit for up to 2 years. So far now he is off of dialysis but one never knows if it will happen again and since he lost 40 lbs while he was in the hospital he is still very weak. Carnival doesn't care about us people when it comes to sickness. The insurance would not have helped us either since he had a pre-existing condition. They don't tell you about the fine print you have to look it over with a fine tooth comb. If you would like to chat you can contact me at [EMAIL="racer102354@aol.com"]racer102354@aol.com[/EMAIL]. Thanks again for listening and I sure hope your daughter is doing much better. I will mention her in my prayers every day.[/quote]

First, I'm sorry your husband is ill. However, YOU made the choice to not purchase insurance. Carnival is obligated to do NOTHING. However, they GENEROUSLY gave you a cruise credit that you have 2 years to use. I pray you and your husband are able to use this credit. I hope your husband continues his recovery.

Edited to add: Sorry, I was so irritated by the rest of the post that I overlooked the fact your husband fell ill in Aug with the cruise in Dec. I'm guessing you booked Early Saver, and are out $700 (50x14), plus they are holding the rest of your deposit for a new cruise within two years. These are the terms of early saver. They are very clear when you book them. From a business perspective, Carnival cannot simply make exceptions for every single person that has something crummy happen to them. Again, I hope you're able to cruise soon.

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Okay folks, flame me! I'm a nurse. She's In a hospital, no bloodwork for a day when she's running a fever? No IV! It doesn't add up. How's she getting antibiotics? IV's are standard for hydration and emergency use.[/quote]
I was wondering the same thing. When I had mine out, I woke up with an IV in my arm and antibiotics already hung.

As for the insurance, insure my trip offers lots of choices that include pre-existing conditions, which I use even for a short cruise close to home.

We're booked on the Splendor with the MIL in Feb. If something happens and it's not fixed in time we've already checked and are looking at other cruises out of the west coast since the MIL doesn't fly. If cost was a major issue, I'm not sure I'd be adding airfare to the equation.

[quote name='jagsfan']If people book online or on the phone directly with Carnival, where do they get their
cancellation and travel protection info? I've always used a travel agent, so that info
is explained to me. I'm just wondering if the direct booked passenger gets a print out
of the policy. If they do, then there is no leg to stand on when cancelling within
the penalty period. It's pretty cut and dried.......if you want to gamble, don't get
the insurance.
As far as reselling the cruise......I don't think there's a chance of that.....Homeland
Security might not allow name changes this close to Dec 5, even if Carnival did.[/quote]

It is all in the contract that you must "read" and check off in order to even get your boarding pass

as far as Homeland Security etc..[B]that is a CC myth and misinformation[/B]

you can change names with a day to spare...you can book a new passenger on the very same day

in the case of the name changes...if last minute you book on two people to take the place of two in the cabin and one of the "originals" stays on and then just does not "show up"

now I admit that we do this a LOT more because we live in Florida and don't fly to the ports on the cruises I used as examples..still the OP can put ads on ebay for the tampa/orlando area and/or craigslist

as far as last minute booking and homeland security...you need to get there by 2 PM with ALL your info and ready to board....it may take a bit longer to board...you won't be able to use the kiosks in Miami but other than that you will be fine I have seen it done many times

to try to hold space on singles cruises our agent will even book girls in with guys :eek::eek: yeah guys they don't know...when we get to the port I help them switch at the desk haha...don't worry they aren't swingers LOL

we usually have a last minute person or two...I have been at precruise party the night before and someone brings a friend who wants to go or someone who has been on the fence calls me up...we sit on the phone with the agent and Carnival and they are on the ship the next day
This last cruise a gal who had a solo cabin booked for 6 months added a girlfriend the day before the cruise...no biggie

[quote name='dirtracer27x']thanks for all the advice,as this was going to be are first trip we really didnt know much about the trip insurance.i guess i should have read the fine print alittle closer,another bad habit of mine.as someone stated we definatetly are not looking for some one to feel sorry for us or have sympathy,simply tryin to get some advice.to some cruises are a dime a dozen,but for us and are family its a huge expense that we were barely able to manage.the airfare was pretty much are spending money,we had to ebay several items for some extra cash.we also are going to have a pretty hefty bill from the doctor as well.i wil try on monday one more time and see if i can talk to anyone higher up the chain.would the guestsolutions be able to help?

and no my daughter is not home yet,im actually getting ready to drop my 4 year old off and head over.this was a pretty bad case of appendicitis.they think she was ruptured for 24-48 hours before she had her surgery.shes been running a fever of 103-104 since her operation,and are worried about the temp,her white blood cell and lactic acid number are very high as well.no blood work yesterday,suppose to do it today to check her numbers.my wife just called but they couldnt find a vein,shes getting badly dehydrated.i will keep you guys post and thanks for the avdice as ell as the concerns.

[IMG]http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k318/mccraryfloors/baypreop.jpg[/IMG]

all that pain and still smiling,i love her so much.[/quote]

I have no advice to give but your daughter is so beautiful and I wish her a speedy recovery. I hope it all works out for your trip. You all deserve it.

[quote name='jagsfan']If people book online or on the phone directly with Carnival, where do they get their
the insurance.
Security might not allow name changes this close to Dec 5, even if Carnival did.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]You can buy it on line when you book[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='dirtracer27x']
and no my daughter is not home yet,im actually getting ready to drop my 4 year old off and head over.this was a pretty bad case of appendicitis.they think she was ruptured for 24-48 hours before she had her surgery.shes been running a fever of 103-104 since her operation,and are worried about the temp,her white blood cell and lactic acid number are very high as well.no blood work yesterday,suppose to do it today to check her numbers.my wife just called but they couldnt find a vein,shes getting badly dehydrated.i will keep you guys post and thanks for the avdice as ell as the concerns.

That picture and your words made me cry. Your daughter is in my thoughts and prayers. What a horrible ordeal for your family. Keep us posted on how she is doing. Good luck with everything.

Gina

[quote name='racer102354'] The insurance would not have helped us either since he had a pre-existing condition. [/quote]

[COLOR=black][B]Some good will come of this thread in helping debunk all of the WRONG information out there about travel insurance. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][B]Pre-existing conditions ARE covered on virtually [U]every[/U] policy if it is purchased within 14 days of money first being put down/deposit made. [/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][B]Too bad you didn't look into travel insurance for your huge group[/B] :(. [B]It was an affordable purchase that would have made the outcome of your story happy ever after. Glad to hear your husband is improving.[/B] [B]How extremely gracious of Carnival Cruise Line to offer a future cruise - you are so very very lucky! Happy Sailing.[/B][/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Gina[/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='dirtracer27x']thanks for all the advice,as this was going to be are first trip we really didnt know much about the trip insurance.i guess i should have read the fine print alittle closer,another bad habit of mine.as someone stated we definatetly are not looking for some one to feel sorry for us or have sympathy,simply tryin to get some advice.to some cruises are a dime a dozen,but for us and are family its a huge expense that we were barely able to manage.the airfare was pretty much are spending money,we had to ebay several items for some extra cash.we also are going to have a pretty hefty bill from the doctor as well.i wil try on monday one more time and see if i can talk to anyone higher up the chain.would the guestsolutions be able to help?

I hope your precious girl is better very soon. I experienced a burst appendix at about the same age and I can tell you, it did not feel like a stomach virus! Not even close.

Before you worry about the cruise, you might consider that a new doctor and hospital are in order. Dehydrated? Fever? Infection? That kid needs and IV drip for appropriate fluids and meds. Yikes!

My fiance and I had booked a honeymoon cruise. A month before the cruise, we split and we did not have insurance. I had to plead my case to about 5 people and go way up the chain of command, but I did manage to get a credit for a future cruise. At least the money was not totally lost.
I don't listen to the people who say "well it's your fault, you didn't purchase the insurance, get over it." Sh** happens and we can't always be prepared for it. I hope you get your credit.

[quote name='zqvol']I want to see the result of this one. The comment by the nurse does raise some interesting points.[/quote]
The story may be true, her being ill. The fact is that child would not be dehydrating. I've not heard of blood not being drawn at least once a day especially with a fever, as she stated. I've not heard of a hospital saying they couldn't find a vein and tell the family. There are other ways to do this. Heck, they can draw blood from a baby!
I'm also curious why she had an appendectomy in one post, and another said she didn't because the appendix burst. Did they just leave it? I believe she must have had infection though.
I guess my mind is too critical!
I still don't see why she was to travel so far, maybe she chose this, but implied Carnival had her do it..
The other posters are busy with insurance issues, and getting nowhere. I agree with most posters about purchasing it. Why buy it if you get your money back without it? My ex bought plane insurance, called the airline or insurance company from his hospital room. All he had to do was submit the doctor's form and was reimbursed without question.

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']Okay folks, flame me! I'm a nurse. She's In a hospital, no bloodwork for a day when she's running a fever? No IV! It doesn't add up. How's she getting antibiotics? IV's are standard for hydration and emergency use.[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing and I'm not even a nurse. I'm not trying to nit pick or anything but something just isn't adding up. If one nurse can't get the IV started, trust me, they'll get another nurse that can. I've had my share of IV's this year, and I may have small roller pediatric #3 needle veins, but they've always been able to FINALLY get it.

I certainly hope that the op's daughter is doing good now and they can square things away.

[quote name='Pollensalta']My fiance and I had booked a honeymoon cruise. A month before the cruise, we split and we did not have insurance. I had to plead my case to about 5 people and go way up the chain of command, but I did manage to get a credit for a future cruise. At least the money was not totally lost.
I don't listen to the people who say "well it's your fault, you didn't purchase the insurance, get over it." Sh** happens and we can't always be prepared for it. I hope you get your credit.[/quote]

Yeah...and that is what INSURANCE IS FOR

[quote name='RuthlessBoss']The story may be true, her being ill. The fact is that child would not be dehydrating. I've not heard of blood not being drawn at least once a day especially with a fever, as she stated. I've not heard of a hospital saying they couldn't find a vein and tell the family. There are other ways to do this. Heck, they can draw blood from a baby!
I'm also curious why she had an appendectomy in one post, and another said she didn't because the appendix burst. Did they just leave it? I believe she must have had infection though.
I guess my mind is too critical!
[/quote]

I'm a nurse and interpreted the OP's posts as follows:

His daughter had a ruptured appendix. It was removed, but not before infection and an intra abdominal abcess formed. This is a serious complication requiring IV antibiotics and IV fluids. In other words, the kid has a raging infection as a result of fecal contents escaping from the ruptured appendix into the abdominal cavity.

The fact that they "couldn't find a vein" to draw blood for labs does NOT indicate that she doesn't have an IV. Very often we cannot draw blood from an IV for labs and have to go in separately from a vein in order to get a blood sample for labs. It IS conceivable that when trying to draw labs, the lab tech couldn't get a good vein. Kids are always harder, and IF she is a tad dehydrated or her veins collapse easily, they will have to call for help from other experts to get labs drawn. Sometimes it takes numerous people coming in before someone finally is able to get a sample. Also, IV's can become dislodged or can infiltrate the tissue, becoming useless. Sometimes getting a new IV is not easy-if no one can get a new IV in, it could conceivably take the better part of a day to get an advanced practioner in to insert a midline, picc line, or central line. Depending on the hospital, this could take a while, even in the case of a kid with an infection who really needs IV access.

Finally, consider that these posts were made by a worried parent who may have little to no understanding of medical interventions. Lay people are not likely to present their situation with a degree of accuracy which would pass muster with a professional nurse or doctor. That doesn't mean he is lying.

Your daughter has had a very serious ordeal. Much worst than a normal appendix surgery. Even though children do recover much faster than most adults she has had a very bad ordeal and I pray she is doing much better now. My daughter had several surgeries, as a child, and it is very stressful for all; I know. NOW, regarding Carnival. I suggest you call and work your way up as stated. Also, I would find out the department that makes these decisions and fax a letter from the doctor, picture of your daughter, and remind them you had to change due to them from the Splendor. Always remain calm and appreciative no matter how one may speak to you. Be nice but firm. Whatever happens, please enjoy your Christmas holidays. At least you still have your daughter and so much to be thankful for. Doctors are human and they don't always check as through as necesary, as they too make alot of assumptions. It is rare for your daughter not to have had the flu etc.. May God bless you and your family!:)

[quote name='nrdsb4']A five year old with a burst appendix and intra abdominal abcess and current infection is a serious complication. This isn't your garden variety appendix surgery and since the child is still in the hospital, it's reasonable to suppose she won't be able to make the trip.

I agree with others who have told you to keep trying - I like the idea of sending the photo. Carnival is not obligated to give you anything back, particularly in the absence of trip insurance, but that doesn't mean that they WON'T. Keep trying, and I imagine you'll find a rep with a soft spot for kids who will do better than the small refund you've been promised.

Good luck-the most important thing is that your daughter gets well. The rest is small stuff.[/quote]

[quote name='Pollensalta']Sh** happens and we can't always be prepared for it.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that what insurance is for? To be prepared for when sh$#@ happens?

[quote name='nrdsb4']I'm a nurse and interpreted the OP's posts as follows:

His daughter had a ruptured appendix. It was removed, but not before infection and an intra abdominal abcess formed. This is a serious complication requiring IV antibiotics and IV fluids. In other words, the kid has a raging infection as a result of fecal contents escaping from the ruptured appendix into the abdominal cavity.

The fact that they "couldn't find a vein" to draw blood for labs does NOT indicate that she doesn't have an IV. Very often we cannot draw blood from an IV for labs and have to go in separately from a vein in order to get a blood sample for labs. It IS conceivable that when trying to draw labs, the lab tech couldn't get a good vein. Kids are always harder, and IF she is a tad dehydrated or her veins collapse easily, they will have to call for help from other experts to get labs drawn. Sometimes it takes numerous people coming in before someone finally is able to get a sample. Also, IV's can become dislodged or can infiltrate the tissue, becoming useless. Sometimes getting a new IV is not easy-if no one can get a new IV in, it could conceivably take the better part of a day to get an advanced practioner in to insert a midline, picc line, or central line. Depending on the hospital, this could take a while, even in the case of a kid with an infection who really needs IV access.

Finally, consider that these posts were made by a worried parent who may have little to no understanding of medical interventions. Lay people are not likely to present their situation with a degree of accuracy which would pass muster with a professional nurse or doctor. That doesn't mean he is lying.[/quote]

Thank you - very well put!

I was in tears this moring when I read the original post. Sending my best wishes for a quick recovery!

[quote name='nrdsb4']
Finally, consider that these posts were made by a worried parent who may have little to no understanding of medical interventions. Lay people are not likely to present their situation with a degree of accuracy which would pass muster with a professional nurse or doctor. That doesn't mean he is lying.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. It's easy for someone who is versed in the profession to write a post using proper terminology. Not so much when you're not in the medical field, and when stress levels are high (which I'm sure the OP is experiencing at this time).

[quote name='Pollensalta']
I don't listen to the people who say "well it's your fault, you didn't purchase the insurance, get over it." Sh** happens and [B][COLOR=Red]we can't always be prepared for it.[/COLOR][/B] I hope you get your credit.[/quote]

Actually, when you buy insurance, you ARE always prepared for all kinds of "sh**" which happens, even stuff you would never EVER even be able to think of beforehand.;)

[quote name='Tapi']Isn't that what insurance is for? To be prepared for when sh$#@ happens?[/quote]

Yep. Seems kind of obvious, but...:confused::rolleyes:

[quote name='Eeyoregon'][COLOR=black][B]Some good will come of this thread in helping debunk all of the WRONG information out there about travel insurance. [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][B]Pre-existing conditions ARE covered on virtually [U]every[/U] policy if it is purchased within 14 days of money first being put down/deposit made. [/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][B]Too bad you didn't look into travel insurance for your huge group[/B] :(. [B]It was an affordable purchase that would have made the outcome of your story happy ever after. Glad to hear your husband is improving.[/B] [B]How extremely gracious of Carnival Cruise Line to offer a future cruise - you are so very very lucky! Happy Sailing.[/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=black]Gina[/COLOR][/B][/quote]

We get yearly health travel insurance from CAA which is the Canadian equivalent of AAA and they do not cover any condition that has been treated by a physician within the previous three months. I know this for a fact because our DD had a serious brake of her arm and her last appointment with the Orthopedic surgeon was 2 and a half months prior to our Caribbean vacation and they told me that she would not be covered if she re-injured her arm.

Archived