Chef's table

mrar

How difficult is it to get a reservation at the Chef's Table? I know you try to reserve it as soon as you board. The thing is that flights to San Juan are like $300 cheaper if we fly the day of the cruise, but it doesn't arrive in SJ until around 4:30 - would this be too late? If we got there the night before and tried to board as early as possible (which I'm unsure of this process as well since I'm a first time cruiser) would we have a high liklihood of getting it? Also, we would be honeymooners, first time cruisers, and have a birthday during the cruise if that has any impact. Is it worth the hassle?

It depends on how the Maitre'D/Exec run it on that ship. Some apparently are FCFS, some are lottery, some will add extra chef's tables if the schedule allows.

While getting there early may help your chances with getting the CT, I have to point out another issue. Are you REALLY comfortable flying out there the day of the cruise, especially that late. If you have any kind of flight delays, missed connections, delayed luggage, you are not going to have a lot of leeway to recover. Chef's table regardless I STRONGLY recommend you arrive at least a day in advance of the cruise. At a bare minimum, make sure you land at least 8-12 hours before ship departs

How difficult is it to get a reservation at the Chef's Table? I know you try to reserve it as soon as you board. The thing is that flights to San Juan are like $300 cheaper if we fly the day of the cruise, but it doesn't arrive in SJ until around 4:30 - would this be too late? If we got there the night before and tried to board as early as possible (which I'm unsure of this process as well since I'm a first time cruiser) would we have a high liklihood of getting it? Also, we would be honeymooners, first time cruisers, and have a birthday during the cruise if that has any impact. Is it worth the hassle?

We were onboard our recent cruise by 12:30 pm and called for Chef's Table right away and ended up not getting in. We were among the first groups on the ship so I suspect that either passengers on 'back to back' booked it up or a large group booked it all at once or they did not do it as 'first come first served'. Our cruise did not offer a 2nd Chef's Table during the week and Chef's Table was never advertised in the patters.

Depending on Chef's Table interest on your sailing, late afternoon requests on embarkation day may not be too late but there is no way to know in advance....

We've tried three times and made the cut twice. In all cases we called as soon as we boarded around noon. Each time we've been told we would be contacted again to let us know if we made the cut. I've never been told right away that we made it. How they choose people is a mystery, but Loonbeam is probably right that each maitre d' gets to call the shots as to whether it's first come, first served or some type of lottery.

On our most recent cruise on the Sapphire in August, there were still some spots open for a second Chef's Table. They advertised it in the Patter again. But between the time we had our interview and the time we did the first Chef's Table, all those spots got taken.

It may also depend on the size of the ship. I was recently on the Ocean Princess and got into all 3 of the Chef's Tables, but later decided to cancel the 3rd one. But there was no problem getting into any of the 3. Of course Ocean is a small ship.

Are you referring to me? Neither of the Chefs Tables I attended were even close to full. One only had 8 people, the other 11. The maitre d' asked if I would like to attend the 3rd, but twice was enough.

I'm not referring to anyone in particular, but I keep reading of those who have done it repeatedly while others have been repeatedly disappinted. When they have 92 people asking and only 12 spots available, it might be worth asking people if they have had the opportunity before to consider giving others a chance!

If they turn away 80 people on many cruises I am afraid they will discontinue the whole thing rather than disappoint so many.

We got spots last year and then the whole thing was cancelled so we will try again on the Emerald.

Loonbeam, that is a very good point, that I had forgotten to take into much consideration recently. While I'd rather save the money, I sure wouldn't want to miss the boat - literally.

We got in on our cruise to Alaska in May but ended up cancelling because it was on a formal night and we had made plans with some really neat people we met. On our last one, I forgot to sign up and when one of the head waiters was talking with us at our table about the 4th night of our 14 day cruise, I mentioned I'd like to go but forgot to sign up. I hate to say it but I think he bumped someone to get us in. We were in a suite - not sure if that plays a roll. We were also in a suite for the Alaska one too.

Archived