Is a shirt and tie enough for Formal Night?

chaderic

[quote name='derf5585'][quote name='Intrudr']

And to increase profits
1. tuxedos
2. pictures
3. flowers
4. dry cleaning[/QUOTE]

I lvoe formal nights but never take a pciture or buy flowers. My dry cleaning is done at home. My DH owns a tux and wears it well.

IMHO, formal nights are for my pleasure and I do not spend any more on those nights than on others.

[quote name='DolfanNY']I can't believe the big deal some people are making. I am a retired New York City Police Officer who worked 9/11. Not wearing a jacket to dinner is no big deal. It amazes me to read some of the responses to this thread. If you feel comfortable going to formal night naked, more power to you. Life is to short. You are going on vacation. Have a great time! For the people who wouldn't attend formal night without a tuxedo or suit, good for you. If it offends you how others dress, maybe you should try another cruise line that meets your higher standards.[/QUOTE]

And this is exactly why (actually one of many reasons) I do not cruise with Carnival. I do have higher standards and prefer to spend my money and my time with lines that do meet my higher standards.

[quote name='caviargal']And this is exactly why (actually one of many reasons) I do not cruise with Carnival. I do have higher standards and prefer to spend my money and my time with lines that do meet my higher standards.[/QUOTE]

caviar...is it really better than other lines?? Just asking. I have only sailed 3x...all Carnival. My next cruise will be Celebrity (I think) but I have been reading complaints of people dressing down on X sailings over on the X boards.
I do notice a huge drop in people's formal attire between my first and my last cruise...and would like to experience something a little more formal myself...but I am under the impression that this isn't just a Carnival issue...and I'm not in the position to afford Radisson yet. Will an X cruise be classier?? And can you compare fairly; have you sailed Carnival before or are you passing judgment from hearsay.

[quote name='Intrudr']
I also hope zydeco is wrong about the demise of formal events - it's an elegant affair that isn't offered in many other places.[/QUOTE]

I think there will always be formal events. What's old is new again.

[quote name='derf5585']
And to increase profits
1. tuxedos
2. pictures
3. flowers
4. dry cleaning[/QUOTE]

I don't do 1-4. Some ships don't have dry cleaning. Can make things interesting.

[quote name='BF_Philly']
Thank god you don't write computer code...
LOL[/QUOTE]

Don't you just hate it when a compiler spits out a "semi-colon expected error?" If it expected a semi-colon, why the hell didn't it put one there for me ? :confused:

[quote name='hstrybuf']
Zydeco, you and I differ in the interpretation of who is our host. Obviously, we will never agree on that. ;)[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't bet on that. You probably should never play poker with me. :D

Hosts aside, the real boss is DW and/or GFs. Always has been, always will be.

For those interested in more formal lines, perhaps they should checkout Silversea and/or Crystal.

You will be fine in just a shirt and tie. You will see a wide variety of dress on formal night. Many suits, some tuxes, some shirt and tie, and even some casual.

On our first cruise, my husband wore a suit, but found it uncomfortably hot in the dining room and ended up taking the jacket off during dinner anyway. On all subsequent cruises, he has only worn a shirt and tie.

Do whatever makes you comfortable.

[quote name='caviargal']And this is exactly why (actually one of many reasons) I do not cruise with Carnival. I do have higher standards and prefer to spend my money and my time with lines that do meet my higher standards.[/QUOTE]

LOL, so you are here ------ slumming? Or? ;)

[quote name='TXRoo']I think is the most sensible post out of the lot.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by [b]MrPeteLI[/b]
[i]I also wonder how many people offering dress suggestions ever hosted a formal affair/dinner/event.

And to those offering their dress down suggestions, what would you wear on formal night is you were refused entry for your not dressing as requested[/i]

Actually, we host at least one black tie occasion annually, except we don't bill our "guests". That would also apply to the several black tie functions we attend.

I think people are confusing guests with customers. My husband owns a tuxedo, but wouldn't bring it on a cruise, nor would I bring a gown. He sticks with a navy blazer.....not that I'm offering any dress down suggestions, as I don't really care what anyone else is wearing....the robes one table wore on the Celebrity Mercury a few years ago were pretty amusing though;)

[quote name='bluehorizonlover123']My husband is a fire fighter too and he of course will dress up on formal night. If you don't want to dress up then eat in the buffet. Or don't go on a cruise. Cruises are known for having formal nights. If you want to rebel - then just don't go on a cruise.[/QUOTE]

...whatever you say:D

You will find that 99% of the gentlemen are wearing jackets for formal night. It doesn't have to be a tux but a jacket is a must if you want to feel comfortable and your lady will love it because I am sure she will be dressed for the occasion. My hubby has never worn a tux but always takes a dark suit and wears it at both formal nights. Just changes the color of the shirt/tie (so he will look different in pictures haha).

[quote name='bluehorizonlover123']My husband is a fire fighter too and he of course will dress up on formal night. If you don't want to dress up then eat in the buffet. Or don't go on a cruise. Cruises are known for having formal nights. If you want to rebel - then just don't go on a cruise.[/QUOTE]

On Princess I've seen firefighters wearing dress uniforms on formal night and they looked very sharp. Does yours wear his uniform?

I'm sure CCL is not losing any sleep over your decision. I wouldn't waste my precious time on this board if CCL was beneath me:)

[quote name='zydecocruiser']I'm willing to compromise...

[img]http://www.webundies.com/images/fb095.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

And this goes along with it

A sexy midnight black color for those special celebrations!
from
[url]http://www.undercovercondoms.com/Condoms/Lifestyles/64/Lifestyles-Tuxedo.html[/url]

Archived