Money Bar or Corona Beach?

Stacey779

Should we go to the Money Bar or Corona Beach when we're in Cozumel? We're interested in a casual beach with decent snorkeling we can do right off the shore. I was thinking about Chankanaab but it seems like these two places will have snorkeling without paying an entrance fee.

Also, I looked at the website for the Money Bar and saw they offer different packages. Are we required to pick one of those, or can we just buy drinks/food ala carte?

Thanks in advance for any advice! :D

Unless they've changed thier policies, both Playa Corona and the Money Bar do not charge an entrance fee. But everything else has a charge, which is why they have packages, that may be cheaper than alalcarte, if you don't have your own snorkel gear. Playa Corona does have a sandy beach and it's about 100 yards from their beach to the end of the reef off Chankanaab. The Money Bar has less sand and you may need watersocks to get off the beach area. But you're right at the reef. If you're planning on mostly snorkeling, then go to Money Bar. A mix of beach and snorkeling and less crowds than Chank or the beaches south, go to Corona.

But keep in mind that the entrance fee to Chank is pretty reasonable and there's a lot more options.

Unless they've changed thier policies, both Playa Corona and the Money Bar do not charge an entrance fee. But everything else has a charge, which is why they have packages, that may be cheaper than alalcarte, if you don't have your own snorkel gear. Playa Corona does have a sandy beach and it's about 100 yards from their beach to the end of the reef off Chankanaab. The Money Bar has less sand and you may need watersocks to get off the beach area. But you're right at the reef. If you're planning on mostly snorkeling, then go to Money Bar. A mix of beach and snorkeling and less crowds than Chank or the beaches south, go to Corona.

But keep in mind that the entrance fee to Chank is pretty reasonable and there's a lot more options.

Thanks, crewsweeper! I forgot to mention we do have our own snorkel gear, and that's part of the reason why I don't really want to buy a package deal. I'd rather just buy drinks and food ala carte. It sounds like the Money Bar will be the best place for us because of the snorkeling. I saw on their website they have drinks. I'm assuming they have some food too, as well as loungers?

My wife and I went snorkeling at the Money Bar and had a great time and saw many fish. Many of the tour boats made this area one of their snorkeling stops.

Drinks and food were very reasonable with waiter service right on their man made beach. Taxi from the Carnival pier was $8 and there were taxi's at the Money Bar to take you back to the pier. Restrooms and facilities were nice and clean.

My wife and I went snorkeling at the Money Bar and had a great time and saw many fish. Many of the tour boats made this area one of their snorkeling stops.

Drinks and food were very reasonable with waiter service right on their man made beach. Taxi from the Carnival pier was $8 and there were taxi's at the Money Bar to take you back to the pier. Restrooms and facilities were nice and clean.

This is good to hear - looks like we've made our decision! :)

We too loved the Money Bar. We have our own equipment as well and wanted a nice place to spend the day and snorkel. The snorkling was great, the food was great, great service, quick taxi's and clean facilities. We are going back to Cozumel next year and will be going to the money bar again.

We loved Playa corona. Nice quiet atmosphere and great snorkeling...they do have food/drinks available a la carte. We bring our own snorkel gear too.

Never been to the Money Bar so can't comment on that location-

Last time I was in Cozumel (2004) the "Money Bar" was called Dzul Ha. It was recommended to me by American ex-pats living in Cozumel (they ran the putt-putt golf downtown).

Recommended since off the typical tourist path (Our family of 5 and another Mexican national family from Mexico City - nice folks - were the only one there until about 2:00 PM) and good off-shore snorkeling. We had the run of the place, even with several ships in Cozumel.

No admission fee, just patronize the establishment for ice cream bars, snacks (nachos and cheese and churros), and beer. You could have a cooked lunch to order also. Then, each item was a $1.

You walk right down steps into the waist deep water (iron shore) for decent snorkeling on live coral formations within 30 yards of shore (and water about 10 -20 feet deep).

Note they do not let you wear sunscreen there - so not to damage the live coral (some of the other more popular tourist places in Cozumel the off-shore coral have been long dead). Plan on bringing swim shirts instead. On shore, you are under the palapa with tables and chairs, so in the shade.

We brought along some blow-up pool floats/rafts to use while our kids snorkeled with us (we bought all our own gear - it is not available on site). Kids were 8, 6, and 3 at the time. This worked out great since the 3 year old (although a decent swimmer and she had fins) didn't need to stress. We gave the floats to the local children when we left, who seemed really pleased to get these.

This location is also popular with the chartered boat tours, which frequently drop of snorkelers and divers off shore. I remember seeing at least three Eagle Ray dive tours drop off about 75 yards off shore during our stop. They don't come ashore, so don't upset the ambiance.

Last time I was in Cozumel (2004) the "Money Bar" was called Dzul Ha. It was recommended to me by American ex-pats living in Cozumel (they ran the putt-putt golf downtown).

Recommended since off the typical tourist path (Our family of 5 and another Mexican national family from Mexico City - nice folks - were the only one there until about 2:00 PM) and good off-shore snorkeling. We had the run of the place, even with several ships in Cozumel.

No admission fee, just patronize the establishment for ice cream bars, snacks (nachos and cheese and churros), and beer. You could have a cooked lunch to order also. Then, each item was a $1.

You walk right down steps into the waist deep water (iron shore) for decent snorkeling on live coral formations within 30 yards of shore (and water about 10 -20 feet deep).

Note they do not let you wear sunscreen there - so not to damage the live coral (some of the other more popular tourist places in Cozumel the off-shore coral have been long dead). Plan on bringing swim shirts instead. On shore, you are under the palapa with tables and chairs, so in the shade.

We brought along some blow-up pool floats/rafts to use while our kids snorkeled with us (we bought all our own gear - it is not available on site). Kids were 8, 6, and 3 at the time. This worked out great since the 3 year old (although a decent swimmer and she had fins) didn't need to stress. We gave the floats to the local children when we left, who seemed really pleased to get these.

This location is also popular with the chartered boat tours, which frequently drop of snorkelers and divers off shore. I remember seeing at least three Eagle Ray dive tours drop off about 75 yards off shore during our stop. They don't come ashore, so don't upset the ambiance.

Thanks for the detailed information. It sounds like exactly what we're looking for! :)

We've gone to the Money Bar the past two summers. You can buy food, drinks & also get a massage. The packages you see online are also available when you arrive...you do not need to book ahead (or at least that was the case in August.) My two daughter-in-laws both got the package deal that included a massage, lunch, beverage and cocktail. The cost of the massage alone was $30 for 30 minutes but the total cost of the package was only $35...a good deal I thought. The rest of our family just bought food and drinks separately.

If you would like to see photos...including underwater snorkel photos...click on the links to the Freedom and Legend cruise reviews in my signature. We also visited Dzul Ha in 2005 before the Money Bar was built...what a change since then! The Freedom review has some of the before and after pictures.

Since we aren't big drinkers the Money Bar is a much better deal for our family than an all-inclusive like Nachi Cocum.

Since we aren't big drinkers the Money Bar is a much better deal for our family than an all-inclusive like Nachi Cocum.

We're the same way, which is why we don't like to do the all-inclusives. I'll definitely check out your pictures. Thanks!

If you would like to see photos...including underwater snorkel photos...click on the links to the Freedom and Legend cruise reviews in my signature. We also visited Dzul Ha in 2005 before the Money Bar was built...what a change since then! The Freedom review has some of the before and after pictures.

I just looked through your pictures and now I'm even more excited! I noticed there was one picture with two Carnival ships in the background that had a sandy area with lounge chairs. Is this a restaurant/bar right at the pier? It's the 4th picture down in post #96: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1270052&page=5

I just looked through your pictures and now I'm even more excited! I noticed there was one picture with two Carnival ships in the background that had a sandy area with lounge chairs. Is this a restaurant/bar right at the pier? It's the 4th picture down in post #96: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1270052&page=5

That sandy spot is part of Pancho's Restaurant at the Carnival Pier. You can sit there if you order something, we did just that before we had to leave.

That sandy spot is part of Pancho's Restaurant at the Carnival Pier. You can sit there if you order something, we did just that before we had to leave.

Actually I didn't realize those chairs were part of the restaurant...I thought they were just there for anyone to use.

Dzul ha is now the money bar. We went there years ago when Martin ran the place. Totally private. NO charge, just purchased food.He made us a wonderful lunch then called us up to the table under a tree to eat.

Then it was owned by a American named Sherrie who write for Cozumel Insider. She was run off the property and jailed for no reason at all. I think they wanted it run by a mexican. She gives tons to the people there and has been unfairly treated. When I found this out she wrote to me and told me to go to Corona Beach. It was lovely there but we saw NOTHING snorkeling. NIce laid back place. Enough sand to feel like we were on a beach.

Eagle Ray docked at Money Bar for lunch two weeks ago, Dec 15.

There were ten or twelve of us, divers/snorkelers, on the boat.

I hope we didn't upset the ambiance too much. :rolleyes:

I have heard that the current at the money bar can get dangerous. Anything to that? Can anyone relate to snorkeling there in January?

We're just back from our cruise and had a good time snorkeling at the Money Bar. As far as the current goes, I'd say it depends on how strong of a swimmer you are. It didn't bother us at all, and we didn't even have flippers. We swam against the current for a while, and then just let it carry us back. I'm not sure if it varies from day to day, but that was our experience. I'm sure you can rent a life vest if you'd feel more comfortable.

We're just back from our cruise and had a good time snorkeling at the Money Bar. As far as the current goes, I'd say it depends on how strong of a swimmer you are. It didn't bother us at all, and we didn't even have flippers. We swam against the current for a while, and then just let it carry us back. I'm not sure if it varies from day to day, but that was our experience. I'm sure you can rent a life vest if you'd feel more comfortable.
The current definitely must vary, since when we were snorkeling there a year ago, I kept looking at the beach to see if we were drifting up or down, and we stayed right in the same place unless we were paddling. And we're 65 years old so can't escape any current of force!

Archived