"Semi-Live" Aboard the Celebrity Infinity - Panama Canal Nov 21 - Dec 5, 2010 W/Pics

sayvan

After a walk around the shops and the area around the dungeons we then made our way back to the car and proceeded to our next major spot where we would leave the car for the remainder of the day. Our Taxi driver would accompany us as a personal guide on a walking tour of the city from this point on.

PC020108.jpg

One of the first stops we made on this walk about was the Heredia Theatre. The theatre was originally built as a church in 1625 but was converted to its present use in 1911 when it was restored. This was a beautiful structure:

P1060311.jpg

P1060312.jpg

Streets outside the theatre:

P1060314.jpg

This is the customs house where all merchants entering and leaving the city would pay their taxes:

P1060315.jpg

P1060316.jpg

We then headed for San Pedro Square... More to come in a bit...

Plaza San Pedro Claver is a small square dominated by the Sanctuary, Museum and Church of Saint Peter Claver. From the square our journey within the walls would begin. After a brief look around the square we proceeded into the Church of Saint Peter Claver.

P1060317.jpg

P1060319.jpg

P1060322.jpg

P1060323.jpg

P1060324.jpg

P1060326.jpg

Pedro Claver was the first South American Saint – a Jesuit, he fought for the rights of slaves, working in the slave markets in Cartagena.

His church isn’t just a church it’s also a museum. It welcomes people in to sit in the shade of the cloister court yard, where Saint Pedro baptized thousands of slaves, or into the art lined halls of the museum commemorating his life and times to learn about the history of the human rights movement. Pedro’s remains are kept in a glass coffin in the high altar where they’re attended to by followers who visit from all over the world. There was a $3 fee to walk around the church and museum.

P1060320.jpg

P1060325.jpg

P1060327.jpg

Vanda wondering if he will ever put the camera away....

P1060328.jpg

P1060329.jpg

We then moved into the Sanctuary of the Church.

This was a very large church as you can see from the pictures. At the front of the church you will find the body (remains) of Saint Pedro Claver entombed in a glass coffin and draped in robes that appeared to be gold in colour. I always have found these types of tombs to be very unique. Many I have seen in the past usually have some covering over the head or face of the remains. This did not.

View of the church from the balcony:

P1060342.jpg

P1060347.jpg

P1060349.jpg

PC020118.jpg

Craig and Vicki Bell ..behind the Bells....

PC020122.jpg

P1060360.jpg

After we left the church we then made our way around the winding streets. As we walked along there were many shops to step into including some small café's and restaurants as well. We did not stop to eat as we were just going to wait until we arrived back at the ship.

P1060372.jpg

Clock Tower:

P1060374.jpg

P1060371.jpg

P1060364.jpg

P1060367.jpg

P1060369.jpg

Hard Rock Café:

P1060370.jpg

Coach Square:

Hundreds of thousands of black slaves, hunted down, and brought here from Africa were sold and branded in this Plaza. Many were then shipped to the new colonies. Veracruz, Mexico and Cartagena were the only two official ports designated by the King of Spain, to trade slaves. The Spanish crown had forbidden the enslavement of the native Amerindians. The name "Coach Square", dates to the past century, and applies today as well, as this is a designated boarding area to tour the city in a horse drawn coach.

P1060376.jpg

Statue of Pedro Heredia - Founder of Cartagena de Indias in 1533. His foresight is responsible for the city of today, being in such pristine condition. After a fire destroyed early Cartagena, Pedro de Heredia declared that all future construction must be of stone, brick and cement.

P1060375.jpg

From the square we then proceeded toward the Palace of Inquisition. Along the way, the beauty of the buildings and abundance of colours on the walls were fabulous and made for a perfect picture taking extravaganza.

P1060378.jpg

P1060380.jpg

P1060387.jpg

We continued our walk toward the palace. Taking in the shops and sights along the way.

P1060385.jpg

P1060377.jpg

P1060389.jpg

P1060391.jpg

Bolívar Park - Located in the heart of the city, this park is a local and tourist favorite. Named after General Simon Bolivar, who liberated the country in 1811.

On the base of the Bolivar Statue are these words:

"Cartagenians: If Caracas gave me life,

Cartagena gave me glory...".

Simón Bolívar

P1060392.jpg

P1060393.jpg

The large and detailed entrance portal alone, is worth a visit. During the colonial era , this house served as a tribunal "court" and tried anyone the Church viewed as a heretic. The palace contains instruments of torture, along with documents, paintings and explanations about the Inquisition. Outside, fronting Calle de la Inquisition, is the small, barred window from which the sentences handed down by the tribunal were announced to the public. There was an entrance fee of $6 to walk through the Palace. For a few dollars more you could get a guide to take you through. We opted to view on our own.

P1060395.jpg

P1060397.jpg

P1060398.jpg

Warning: Do not try this at home!

P1060399.jpg

P1060400.jpg

P1060396.jpg

P1060420.jpg

Vanda standing in the Palace Courtyard

P1060419.jpg

P1060420.jpg

After about 45 minutes in the Palace we then proceeded out side and started to walk the streets again until we made a brief stop at Cathedral.

P1060423.jpg

P1060425.jpg

Construction on the Cathedral began in 1575, with a planned completion for 1585. In 1586, when only the tower remained unfinished, the pirate Francis Drake attacked the city, partially destroying what had been completed. In 1598, work on the Cathedral was resumed. Currently, the church interior is currently being restored. We only stayed briefly as there was a service going on when we arrived.

P1060424.jpg

P1060429.jpg

P1060430.jpg

P1060432.jpg

We then began to walk toward the San Francisco Defense Wall. The journey along these streets offered more photo opportunities but we were starting to become a bit fatigued as the heat and humidity was on the rise as the day ticked away.

P1060433.jpg

P1060434.jpg

P1060435.jpg

As we made our way to the Defensive wall, located in front of the Naval Museum we were coming to the end of our walking tour in the old city. We had spent close to 6 hours with our cab driver and were now ready to return to the ship and have a bite to eat. The city was beautiful and I was pleasantly surprised at how clean it was. The people of Cartagena take great care of their beloved city. After spending the day here, I can certainly see why.

PC020130.jpg

PC020131.jpg

P1060473.jpg

P1060474.jpg

P1060472.jpg

When we arrived back at the cab, we embarked on a 20 minute or so drive back to the port and Infinity. On our way back to the ship, we quickly realized that the tour gods had been with us on this day as just as we were returning the sky opened up and the rain began to fall and it was coming down in buckets.

Once back in the port, we took some time to see some of the birds that are all around this port. There were a few Toucan's, some Parrots and a couple of love birds.

PC020137.jpg

PC020139.jpg

PC020149.jpg

PC020151.jpg

toucan.jpg

We then proceeded into the shops and looked around for a bit before boarding Infinity for the last time on this journey.

We then proceeded into the shops and looked around for a bit before boarding Infinity for the last time on this journey.

Sayvan -- I have thoroughly enjoyed your detailed review and all of the fabulous photos. I felt sad when you were boarding the Infinity for the last time for that cruise! Sounds like you had a marvelous time and enjoyed every minute. I alread had a Panama Canal cruise on my list, but you've made me want to go even more! Thanks for all the work you've done on this great review.:)

Edited by Jazzbo

After grabbing some lunch (well mid afternoon lunch) the rain was still falling so we decided to head to the Cova Café for an Aspen Coffee and some relaxation and air conditioning. After this we went back to our rooms for a little bit of a rest and then get ready for the sail away.

By the time we were getting ready to sail out of Port the rains had stopped and the weather was once again perfectly hot and humid. I am ok with that.

Back up on Deck 11 we then decided to have a drink or two...or three...

I noticed a smaller ship had also pulled into Port later in the day although I could not make out who it was.

P1060483.jpg

We were scheduled to sail out of Port at 5 pm however we did not actually get away until after 5:30 pm. I had heard that not all passengers were back on-board and so the Captain had given the ok to wait. I am not sure if it was a ship excursion that was late or what exactly happened.

Vanda and Vicki wait for the sail away party to start!

P1060507.jpg

While we waited the band "Fusion Wave" entertained on the open deck.

P1060492.jpg

P1060494.jpg

P1060495.jpg

The sunsets on Cartagena:

P1060497.jpg

After sail away we went off to prepare for the night. We started with the 7 pm show which featured on this day a combination of Comedian Scott Wyler and Singer Paul Tanner, both of whom I spoke of earlier. Tonight again, I was very pleased with the entertainment and both did a great job.

We then went for our customary pre-dinner drinks in the Rendezvous Lounge and then made our way to dinner. I had the Chicken Kiev and it was sensational. I would highly recommend this.

After dinner it was back up to Deck 11 and the Constellation Lounge for the Celebrity 20th Anniversary party. The party was started with some free Champagne, toasts to Celebrity and some cake (although I passed on the cake just coming from dinner). Once again, the Constellation was packed. I again, was very surprised to see so many people up so late. The crowd on-board the ship, I would say, tended to be on the older side (retired etc i will just leave it at that) but these folks sure knew how to party. When we sailed Holland America (again older crowd) the night clubs were dead (so to speak). Kudos`s to all those party goers, you helped to make this cruise all that much more fun!

Tomorrow, we would be having our 6th sea day of the cruise. In fact, the next two days would be sea days. We had planned a pub crawl for the next day...... more on that in a bit.

Thanks again for all the views I have been getting with this thread. The nice comments have been wonderful. I hope you all enjoyed our great day in Cartagena.

Edited by sayvan

Sayvan -- I have thoroughly enjoyed your detailed review and all of the fabulous photos. I felt sad when you were boarding the Infinity for the last time for that cruise! Sounds like you had a marvelous time and enjoyed every minute. I alread had a Panama Canal cruise on my list, but you've made me want to go even more! Thanks for all the work you've done on this great review.:)

Thanks for the nice comments and my vote would be to make sure you do the Canal. Although we boarded for the last time, we still have 2 days at sea to get to... those will be coming very soon! Thanks again...

Hey steve, not sure what is going on with the photos but some appear only as question marks and can't be seen. Do u have the same thing?

Keep up the good work.

Tracy & reg

Hi Tracy and Reg.... I am not sure what may be happening. I just did a quick look and all seem to be there on my end. I know one day last week the server where I host the pictures was down but that was only for a bit. Maybe if you clear the cookies on your system and then refresh the page it may clear up... let me know

You definitely don't want to miss the next sea day as the Pub Crawl and formal night will be on the agenda! ;)

Steve