Gate check bags? Leaving tomorrow!

rin1

I just confirmed with the airline that there are no bags available at the gate for gate-checked items. I was under the impression that there were.

Anyway, I need to buy something and it needs to happen today as we leave tomorrow morning, so I don't have time for the internet. Has anyone had luck with items from a brick and mortar store? Clear contractor bags? Those grayish sacks from Target? If so, what store did you get them at? Looking for words of wisdom here...thanks so much in advance.

I wouldn't worry about "protecting" those things....the way they handle any "checked" item leaves ALOT to be desired. If anything gets dirty, wipe it off when you get it back. Not a big deal! No need to go shopping for something you really don't need.

If you want them, I've seen very basic ones at Babies R Us and Toys R Us if you have one near you...though it may be a zoo this time of year.

I've gate-checked strollers and car seats more than a dozen times and have never used those bags though. Probably why the airline doesn't have them - they're not absolutely necessary.

Best,

Mia

I am trying to understand why the airline is expected to provide bags. They have no idea on how many gate checked items are going to show up. They do not bag anything else.

Honestly I see parentes carry a car seat and stroll up the child till boarding. At boarding time, they hand over the car seat unless it is used on the plane for the child, fold the stroller and hand it to the attendant.

I do have to say, car seats used on a plane with young kids rule in my book. After two long flights with young kids. The ones who had their car seats did much better. I think it was because it was familiar for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived