Alaska Questions

gretnagirl

Hi there,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm sure you don't mind my asking it again! I'm looking at doing an Alaskan cruise this August. I've found a great price and even flights are looking okay. The question is this- what is the advantage, if there is one, to doing a north/southbound cruise as opposed to a return trip from, say, Seattle? The price difference, including air, is significant from our location. Would we be missing lots by only doing the inside passage, or not enough to make a big difference?

Any input is helpful.

Thanks!

The RT from Seattle cruises generally do Tracey Arm/Sawyer Glacier, while the one-ways hit Glacier Bay. We've only done the RT so far and keep hearing that Glacier Bay is more spectacular. Plus, two out of four cruises, the captains have opted NOT to go all the way down Tracey Arm and so there was NO glacier on "glacier day".

You stop in Victoria, BC on the Seattle run, but it's only 4-5 hrs in the evening. Whichever Alaskan towns you hit will be fun, with lots of shore excursion potential.

That being said, you will find the scenery extraordinarily beautiful, the wildlife abundant, and the sunsets glorious. Whatever one you pick, you will have a great time!:D

I've done mostly One-way but last September we did Seattle R/T to compare. The biggest difference is missing Glacier Bay on the R/T. Also if you want to do any additional land travel in Alaska, you need the One-way. But the flights for Seattle were so much easier than our usual flight to Anchorage and return from Vancouver. Each typically visits the same AK ports (Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau). With one-way you get Anchorage and Vancouver, with R/T you get Seattle and a short stop in Victoria.

I'd say if you found a great deal -- go for it.

We did Glacier Bay this past summer on the Golden and it was a RT from Seattle. It was quite nice. So if you are able to choose a Seattle RT with Glacier Bay and the price is a factor I would do that. Giving more money to be spent on excursions!

Good luck regardless which itenary you choose.

This may not be an issue for you, it would be for my DH, but I hear that there are some pretty rough waters from Seattle until you get to the inland passage near Vancouver. We sailed from Whittier to Vancouver and it was like glass the entire trip!

My 2 cents:

Roundtrip can save you money on airfare, worth it if you are on a tight budget and the difference is the difference between a good excursion in port and not.

Look for cruises out of Seattle that do Glacier Bay if seeing Glaciers is a big prioiity. There are a few sailings that do roundtrip and get glacier bay. Honestly as beautiful as Tracy Arm is it ain't close to Glacier bay. Spend the extra few hundred to find a cruise that does Glacier Bay, or you'll always wonder.

One way always get you more scenic as you gain a day of sailing that becomes scenic, the cost of course is the open jaw flight.

IMHO Seattle versus Vancouver and true "inside" is over-rated, while nice if you can fit it in the scenic crusing is the most important as well as budget.

Good luck!

You can do a R/T out of Seattle that goes to Glacier Bay on Princess, HA and NCL. Most people say that GB is a must do and I agree. It was amazing. Carnival does one a season Seattle to Vancouver that goes to GB (what I did). We were very happy with our Seattle/Van cruise to GB. I plan to return to Alaska but probably a land only tour and I will see the Northern part of Alaska. That is what you miss, the opportunity to see the main part of Alaska, not just the Southern part.

Jen in SoCal

Hi there,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I'm sure you don't mind my asking it again! I'm looking at doing an Alaskan cruise this August. I've found a great price and even flights are looking okay. The question is this- what is the advantage, if there is one, to doing a north/southbound cruise as opposed to a return trip from, say, Seattle? The price difference, including air, is significant from our location. Would we be missing lots by only doing the inside passage, or not enough to make a big difference?

Any input is helpful.

Thanks!

There is NO "best". :) All Alaska cruises will offer you a great time.

I have done all the 7 day routes, repeatively.

I never recommend a one way, without at least adding another 5 days and taking advantage of interior Alaska touring. My opinion only, it is not worth the time getting all the way to/from Anchorage via flights, (and I don't pay) without it for me.

Be very informed on the routes and differences. ALL cruises sail "inside Passage".

Seattle round trips, do have the least scenic sailing, compared to round trip Vancouver and one ways.

Archived