Currency to take with us. CAD or USD?

coldweathergirl

My apologies if the answer is staring me in the face in the forum somewhere but I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer.

We sail on PG in 3 weeks and we're from Canada. I'm wondering what type of currency we should take with us. Would it be beneficial to exchange our currency into USD or take CAD. Does anyone know what would be the easiest for exchanging when we're there or on the ship.

We may end up just out of convenience sake rely on the plastic for the most part. Thanks for the help.

I'm getting excited. It will be the first time on PG cruises and so looking forward to the trip.

My apologies if the answer is staring me in the face in the forum somewhere but I did a quick search and couldn't find the answer.

We sail on PG in 3 weeks and we're from Canada. I'm wondering what type of currency we should take with us. Would it be beneficial to exchange our currency into USD or take CAD. Does anyone know what would be the easiest for exchanging when we're there or on the ship.

We may end up just out of convenience sake rely on the plastic for the most part. Thanks for the help.

I'm getting excited. It will be the first time on PG cruises and so looking forward to the trip.

You really need to rely on plastic!You shouldn't require much cash it all!

Happy Holiday.

Thanks for the help. My husband is't the big plastic guy but on board we will definitely use plastic. We'll bring some USD with us as well. At least our dollar is pretty favourable now against the USD.

Happy Holidays everyone. My countdown is on.....less than 3 weeks. We're fighting the flu here in our house but I hope we catch the PG flu once we're on board. lol.

I had a problem with my Aerogold VISA on more than one occasion in FP. Both times it was at one of the stores selling pearls. The transaction would be declined and both times it said something ambiguous. Once I had to go all the way back to the ship when we were in Moorea in order to bring another card/cash. On the ship I used a US$ mastercard card and my purchases went through no problem.

We always like to carry some US TCs and these were exchanged on the ship when needed.

Enjoy your trip.

Really important that you notify your credit card companies to let them know where you will be going and the dates or sometimes they think the card is stolen and will put a stop to all transactions. Also, we take more than one credit card just in case.

Trav25,

We had notified our card company and always do so. Still had a problem in Moorea (also once in Paris). We always go to Island Fashion when in Moorea if not to buy a couple of pieces to visit with Ron Hall. So we just took one card from the ship. Fortunately the ship was at Cooks Bay then so it was quite close to his shop but we had to still make the trip back etc. The next time we went armed with a few cards and the ship was off opunohu bay so it would have been quite a hike but we had another card for the contingency.

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully we do often travel with several credit cards and have learned the hard way that we need to notify VISA when and where we are travelling. A few years ago in Kenya we were buying several Tanzanite pieces of jewelery and our card was declined. Luckily the owner of the store was wanting our business so much that he phoned VISA from his cell phone while we were there and we were able to get the purchase authorized.

Just the other day my VISA got frozen in town from all of my Christmas purchases lol. Luckily I had another credit card on me as it was airline tickets that I wanted to get purchased then and there....VISA lost out on the sale.

Archived