Teenager Passport Pic Outdated

Lakesilly605er

Has anyone had issues with passport pictures that do not really look like the owner of the passport. My son's passport is not due to expire for another 1.5 years and we do not really want to get a new one until we have to. However, he has grown up, literally. He is about a foot taller and has much more mature facial features than before. Has anyone had any problems with passport pics not resembling the owner of the passport? I know the answer that most will give and that we should bite the bullet and go ahead and renew now, but I really do not want unless absolutely necessary.

Has anyone had issues with passport pictures that do not really look like the owner of the passport. My son's passport is not due to expire for another 1.5 years and we do not really want to get a new one until we have to. However, he has grown up, literally. He is about a foot taller and has much more mature facial features than before. Has anyone had any problems with passport pics not resembling the owner of the passport? I know the answer that most will give and that we should bite the bullet and go ahead and renew now, but I really do not want unless absolutely necessary.

NO there should not be a problem.. I had my last passport and when I used it I had lost 75lbs big difference.. I never had a problem...

Yup.

Our youngest son's passport picture was taken when he was only 11 years old. Since it was good for five years, we never wanted to spend the money to update it until necessary. One time when we traveled, when he was almost 16, he presented his passport to the TSA agent at the gate. My son was then about 50 lbs. heavier, his hair had darkened considerable and had become very curly, and he was sporting the scrubby facial hair that I hate. But he still had those beautiful, sparkley, blue-green eyes. The guy looked at him, at his picture, smiled, and said, "You've grown a little since this was taken." That was it. No need for a second ID, no questions asked.

We have the same issue. I would only worry about it if your child was travelling separate from you or other parent.

If he was travelling apart from you then maybe it would be an issue.

Extra ID is always a good idea as is writing everyones passport #s on a separate piece of paper.

No problem. Agents who check your passport such as checkin staff and border patrol are trained to deal with these situations. It is the eyes, the cheekbones, the eyebrows etc they look at. Otherwise nobody would be able to get glasses or his hair dyed anymore....

my son is 10..and as you can imagine he has change ALOT in the past 4 years since his passport has been issued. we have never had a problem with it. If he has an additional piece of picture Id he can bring along maybe do so.

I am 25 now, and got my last passport at 16, so it's still good (good for 10 years). I look nothing like I did back then. When I was 16, my hair was frizzy, dark brown, bushy eyebrows. Now, I blow dry my hair, have it dyed a more reddish shade, and wax my eyebrows regularly. I've used my passport many times abroad and never had a problem.

Actually, I did have a problem with a passport picture which "reputedly" did not look like me, but that was 25 years ago.

I was on a train in Romania, trying to cross the border back to Hungary and, eventually, to home. The Romanian police who boarded the train, confiscated the passport, claiming the picture did not look like me. As it turned out, it was all an act set up to have a reason to take me off the train (on suspicion of espionage -- long story, but related to the fact that my invitation to visit their nuclear research institute was initiated by a scientist who, unbeknownst to me, had a record as a dissident -- this was during the cold war days). In the end, they evidently decided I was not worth the effort. I assume they also had seen James Bond movies, and recognized that I was the wimpiest looking James Bond they had ever met. :) In any case, they were not even courteous enough to return the passport. I got it back from the Hungarian police after the train crossed over the border.

So, as others have suggested, I am sure your son will have no difficulties whatsoever on the cruise, but I would definitely reconsider getting a new one if he is invited to visit North Korea.:)

Bill

My passport is almost up for renewal, after 10 years; in that time I've gotten contacts and shaved the mustache. I've been questioned one about the difference in appearance between now and the passport pic, and last time a TSA or CBP agent grumbled something about how long ago the photo was taken, but I've used my passport successfully in other countries as well as here in the US.

Don't worry about it. Kids always outgrow their passports quickly. Our daughter is 4 and we got her passport when she was about 10 months old. It doesn't resemble her at all.

This all our sons got theirs 4 years ago. The twins were done at 2 months old and they are now 4 ...don't think they look the same as the pics lol

Archived