Anyone cruised from new Orleans

Zeno

We are seriously considering cruising out of New Orleans for our next cruise (2006).

Has anyone done this in Jan or Feb? I am curious about the weather in New Orleans then. Also what were the seas like when crossing the Gulf Of Mexico? (We will be travelling with a friend who is somewhat motion sensitive.) Thx for any help.

Zeno,

We did New Orleans as a stop on our western Carribean cruise a few years ago in February. New Orleans was wonderful but a little chilly. It was cold enough for a heavy sweater. It is a beautiful town. Make sure you go a few days before the cruise so you can enjoy the city.

The water was calm so the entire trip was terrific.

Go and have fun!!!!!

Jeanne

We cruised out of New Orleans on Jan 2 this year. The weather was not bad, about in the mid 50's. My wife who is not normally bothered by sea sickness did experience some this trip. The crew mentioned that the sea tends to be more choppy in Jan and Feb.

New Orleans is a great city to depart from. Other than some congestion at the port due to construction, the boarding process was a breeze. We are booked on the Sun Jan. 29, 06 out of New Orleans.

Good friends of mine work on the Dream out of New Orleans...and this past January was a rough month relative to sea conditions...so if your friend is sensitive to motion sickness, consider going out of Miami on the new NCL Jewel...keep in mind, you might be fortunate and have calm seas in January cruising on the Gulf, but there's always that chance of real rough seas...There's no gaurantee...

As far as the Ports is concerned, New Orleans is fantastic- less congested, and traveler friendly...embarkation and debarkation where relatively quick. Plus visiting New Orleans is always fun...add a day or two before your cruise...We love New Orleans...we've never experienced rough seas on the Gulf (4 times), but we don't get sea sick either.

Miami Port is to much of a hassle, to crowded and busy...I won't cruise from Miami again...smaller less popular ports are better.

Hello, we just cruised out of New Orleans this past February 6th. The weather was great (we're from up North where it is very cold though). About 60 - 70 degrees. Embarkation and Debarkation was a snap. Seas a little rough, but not too bad. Only one person in our party had a problem with motion sickness. We spent one day before and two days after the cruise In NO. Visitied the cemetary and strolled the French Quarter and took in some sights...did Cafe Dumonde, the Gumbo Shop, Mulate's, Pat O'Briens. Very nice time.

New Orleans was a great embarkation (debarkation) port for us. We did not go in Jan or Feb, so no timely advice on that.

Re: sailing out in Feb: I was reading a horror story about a Carnival embarkation that was supposed to happen during Mardi Gras. They had some difficulty and needed to transport passengers to a different port once they had arrived at the New Orleans port. Since the resources of the town were stretched thin with all of the MG tourists, they had trouble finding places for people to sleep and busses to get them where they needed to go. People slept in the cruise terminal on their carry-ons (their luggage had been taken previously, so they didn't even have clothes for the next day).

Anyway all the Mardi Gras stuff may have no bearing, but thought I would mention it. I know I would take it into consideration were I planning a trip to NO.

I have only two more things to say: beignets and muffalettas:D

I live in NO and also sailed the Dream last feb. The temps can vary greatly in jan and feb. The avg temp is in the 60s though. Remember it can freeze down here but a few days later it can be up in the 70s! Sailing in feb did lend itself to some rough seas at times and the pool water was very cold! Mardi Gras should not be a problem with the port. Last year '04, there was an accident in the Miss River that forced several cruise ships to move their embarkation and debarkation points.

larryo: We are considering Jan 29 or early in Feb - so we may see you. We don't expect to make a decision just yet but probably by April.

THx Everyone for all the info. Temps in the 60s are perfectly fine with us (We are from Canada - 60s in Jan-Feb sounds positively balmy).

Re: Rough seas - not a problem for dh and myself but could be a problem for our friend. If we decide on NOLA I will make sure she brings some medication.

• 2 weeks later...
larryo: We are considering Jan 29 or early in Feb - so we may see you. We don't expect to make a decision just yet but probably by April.

If you cruise with NCL next January or February, you will on the Norwegian Sun.

:) We have been to New Orleans the last three or four years for Mardi Gras. This past year, it was in early February and the weather was chilly (in the high 50's and 60's) but not cold. I guess the weather is hit and miss.

:D :D :D We have cruised with Carnival (Holiday and Conquest) out of New Orleans during the third week of March (spring break) the past two years. Although we are skipping cruising this March, we have already booked three category BC cabins on the NCL Sun out of New Orleans next March 19-26, 2006 (spring break next year).

If you cruise out of New Orleans, be sure to have cafe au lait and beignets (coffee and doughnuts) at Cafe Du Monde and lunch at Felix's Restaurant & Oyster Bar (aka Felix's Oyster House). Both are in the quarter and are relatively inexpensive.

Roll Tide!

Rammerjammerbama:

Thx for the tips. We intend to arrive a day or two early to see a bit of New Orleans and I hope we can get a reasonable hotel in the French quarter - so the restaurant tips are appreciated.

I have been to New Orleans twice but never cruised out of there, what a great city. So what better place to run the cruise critic group cruise on the Sun out of New Orleans for Thanksgiving this year.

We would love to have everyone join us, if you want more info please follow the links below

My family and I are sailing from New Orleans to Cozumel on March 17. We found a hotel that is 10 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the French Quarter. The hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to both the airport and the French Quarter. It is the Ramada Limited Metairie. The rate is $52 (US) a night.I'll let you know what it is like when we return.

Zeno,

I was trying to track you down through the discussions to ask you a question. I was reading the thread about the Cozumel map from www.cancunmap.com.

They are out of stock. Do you have a copy that you would be willing to sell? we live outside of Toronto (Newmarket, Ontario) Thanks. I'll check back to this thread for your reply

My family and I are sailing from New Orleans to Cozumel on March 17. We found a hotel that is 10 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the French Quarter. The hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to both the airport and the French Quarter. It is the Ramada Limited Metairie. The rate is $52 (US) a night.I'll let you know what it is like when we return.

I know exactly where it is. I pass it when leaving my mother's home in East Jefferson on the way to I-10. Let me add that it is probably 15 minutes from the airport and 20 minutes from both the French Quarter and the pier. Also, it is about a mile or so to from the Lakeside Shopping Center, a fairly large indoor mall. If you forgot something, perhaps you can get the shuttle to take you there.

Also, less than two miles from the hotel is a branch of Martin Wine Cellar and a grocery store, Dorignac's, both of which have a large collection of wines at very good prices. The two places are about 4 or so blocks from each other on opposite sides of Veterans Memorial Highway. I prefer the selection and prices at Dorignac's, but shop for wines at both places when in New Orleans. It is not unusual to see folks come in a buy cases of wine at Dorignac's. In fact, I have never seen another grocery store with such a selection of Northern and Southern Rhone wines, German and Austrian wines, vintage ports, French champagnes, etc.

If you want to bring wine or alcohol with you on the ship and don't want to carry it with you on the airline, have the hotel shuttle drop you off and pick you up at either of those two places.

Roll Tide!

Thanks for the info. I forgot to mention that the hotel also includes a continental breakfast. Do you know anything about the hotel itself?

Have you done any of the swamp or plantation tours? Your reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ontariocruiser:

email me at zeno502004@yahoo.ca - I will loan you my Cozumel map (I will need it in the future since we expect to be in Cozumel on our next cruise). I will be awaiting your comments on your NOLA hotel - since the price sounds perfect for us. There will be 3 of us on our next cruise and at that price we could afford 2 rooms.

Any other recommendations for hotels that provide complimentary shuttle from the airport, Fr Quarter, or the ship terminal?

Also, does anyone know when Mardi Gras BEGINS next year (2006)? I know when the celebration ends obviously, but can't find when the parties begin.

thanks.

Archived