The studio rooms on NCL? Opinions?

Mikiejag

I'm just about to go on my second Epic cruise in a studio. I really enjoyed it. I think because of the layout and efficiency of the room it seems a good bigger than it's stated dimensions.

It's a great bargain when you look at what it would cost a solo cruiser on a balcony room or on the other cruise lines.

Great deal. My only gripe was I found the lighting a bit dim, but I may not have found a reading light switch.

A tip - I found access to the closet area very tight, especially towards the back. I used mesh packing cubes and just left most of my clothes in them. I had one for shorts, another for undies & swimsuits, etc. They stacked perfectly on the more easily accessible shelves and it was a perfect solution for me. If you aren't familiar with them, just google for "packing cubes" or "mesh packing cubes".

Another tip is go for a lower room number if you plan to use the Living Room. I was in 12570 and it was a very long hike to the LR (although I was very close to the aft elevators and spa--so consider what you want to be close to)!

I like having a balcony or suite and when I can get a roommate or get DH to go along, that's what I do...but if I was by myself I would book another studio.

Hello, could you let me know if there were many other solos on the Epic when you went? I went on the Jewel from NYC solo, but think a better fit for me would have been the Epic.

Howard, on the cruise I went on all of the studio rooms were filled. Most of the people I saw in the studio areas were single/solo travelers. It is not unknown though for couples to book two adjoining rooms.

Lots on the Epic TA as well, and the best part was I made some really good friends! The key for us was that I got a group of solos together on the rollcall board and we had our own get together so we could meet each other. We had been corresponding before the trip so we already knew each other, and we ended up with some groups getting together and hanging together for the cruise.

There are over 100 studio rooms on the Epic. While some will have split couples, the pricing specials that drove this behavior aren't around anymore. It used to be you could get two studios for less that the cost of an inside double stateroom.

So it sounds like it is not as bad as it looked. For some reason 100sqft sounded small and then they put a larger bed in the room (?)

I am looking at some solo cruises and it seems to fit the bill. Especially since the rate seems to be double plus a bit for the normal rooms.

It seems like dorm life in some ways, but that might just be a good thing. Better than trying to find a roommate. I just wish there were studio balconies or windows. The Epic shows only a one way window to the hall way.

Thanks so much, I am looking into now more.

The folks who have sailed in them and reported back here have been very complimentary of the rooms. They "feel" and function much larger than they are because the space is used very efficiently. There's also that cool LED lighting that changes colors. lol

StudioInsideStateroom.jpg

Archived