Crutches on Fantasy?

Izzblizz

So, my bf pulled his achilles tendon from skiing about a week ago and doc said to keep off all weight and ice it, so he has been on crutches for the last week. It is healing and right now he can walk without crutches but still can feel a slight pull in his tendon.

Doc says right know he is fine to walk; however, doc also says too much walking can continue to strain it and then he will have to go back on crutches. So .. boarding Fantasy next Monday. Not sure if we should bring his crutches just in case he has to take weight off of it, or if we could rent/get those from the med place on the Fantasy if it turns out he needs them?

Anyone know?

So, my bf pulled his achilles tendon from skiing about a week ago and doc said to keep off all weight and ice it, so he has been on crutches for the last week. It is healing and right now he can walk without crutches but still can feel a slight pull in his tendon.

Doc says right know he is fine to walk; however, doc also says too much walking can continue to strain it and then he will have to go back on crutches. So .. boarding Fantasy next Monday. Not sure if we should bring his crutches just in case he has to take weight off of it, or if we could rent/get those from the med place on the Fantasy if it turns out he needs them?

Anyone know?

Not sure if they rent crutches, but even if they did, why rent when you can bring your own ? have observed many a passenger w/crutches when checking in to the ship.

Not sure if they rent crutches, but even if they did, why rent when you can bring your own ? have observed many a passenger w/crutches when checking in to the ship.

Just because a pain in the butt on planes, plus a layover, dragging them to/from hotel room, etc. And/or cost to check them on plane. (we pack light).

Would rather just get them on ship if available. (especially since not even sure if will need them).

20-years in orthopedic nursing speaking here: take the crutches. A hassle, yeah, but if he further damages his tendon by not letting it rest/heal properly, he'll have big problems. An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure.

And, with crutches, he'll get to board the plane first! Flight attendants can probably stow them for him.

Anyone know?

They likely won't have crutches to rent, but if they did, they'd cost you a lot. Given how much walking there is on a ship, I'd bring them. It's not really that much of a hassle. The airline attendants will be happy to stow them in the closet or overhead for you (depending on length) and he'll be glad he has them.

20-years in orthopedic nursing speaking here: take the crutches. A hassle, yeah, but if he further damages his tendon by not letting it rest/heal properly, he'll have big problems. An ounce of prevention really is worth a pound of cure.

And, with crutches, he'll get to board the plane first! Flight attendants can probably stow them for him.

+1 Good advice.

Keep in mind while on board that wet surfaces and crutches can be challenging.

Cheers!

Lol, not planning on "using" the crutches to get any special benefits! If he doesn't need them, I think it would be wrong to fake use them to get in a special line, etc. That would be bad karma I think! Right now he is walking fine and going to cross my fingers that it remains that way!

Wow... I respond first to your question and get a smart a** response from you regarding my suggestion...Others agree with me to take them, some say they may not be available and if available, at a high cost. The airlines work very well with folks using crutches and usually assist in stowing them in the overhead compartments and at NO CHARGE . So in the end, others make similar comments as I basically said and then you amazingly agree that to take them is best !

If you don't like the answers to your questions posted....then don't ask !

Wow... I respond first to your question and get a smart a** response from you regarding my suggestion...Others agree with me to take them, some say they may not be available and if available, at a high cost. The airlines work very well with folks using crutches and usually assist in stowing them in the overhead compartments and at NO CHARGE . So in the end, others make similar comments as I basically said and then you amazingly agree that to take them is best !

If you don't like the answers to your questions posted....then don't ask !

I apologize! It was my thinking at the time that I would rather not drag them around. Sometimes words on the internet are not interpreted as meant. I appreciated your input. We rent them here as well, so would like to not drag them around. But my mind has been has been switched around, and perhaps best to bring them on board. Again, I apologize if I sounded rude or anything.

I'm in a sort of similar situation, I had knee surgery a month ago, and am going on the Dream in a month. Right now, I'm still on crutches, hopefully I will be weight bearing by the cruise, but I'm taking my crutches just in case. Even if I am weight bearing, I'm not sure how it would hold up with the long walks in the airport and to get on the ship. I would rather they be available so in case it does get to be too much, I can use the crutches to take the load off.

Lol, not planning on "using" the crutches to get any special benefits! If he doesn't need them, I think it would be wrong to fake use them to get in a special line, etc. That would be bad karma I think! Right now he is walking fine and going to cross my fingers that it remains that way!

Special benefits -- not quite. If you have ever flown while still recovering from an injury -- especially one this recent, I am suggesting you be careful. Early boarding will ensure no one steps on the foot that is still healing. Boarding a plane is not a time when folks seem to be careful not to step on others. Take it from the voice of experience as I had my foot rebroken once when boarding. If the inury is still "tender" prolonged standing, such as security lines, etc. probably isn't a good idea. Having a flight attendant assist with stowing the crutches is a courtesty to you and helps ensure the rest of us have room in the overhead bins.

There is a big difference between taking advantage and using "special benefits" and taking care of yourself.

When I had a problem with my Achilles my doctor, who loves to cruise, recommended that I get a wheelchair at the airport and at embarkation and debarkation. Just contact special needs and get your name on the list. My doc said that walking uphill as you often have to do to get onboard puts alot of strain on the Achilles. Besides, you will probably get whisked through security faster.

Something else to consider....

you "may" want to email specialneeds@carnival.com about using a wheelchair for Embarkation and Debarkation.

I have never cruised from Charleston...but there may be a lot of standing at checkin....and this would eliminate that.

You don't have to use the wheelchair the entire cruise....just embarkation and debarkation to avoid a lot of standing...

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Is he able to shower OK? I'm not allowed to stand in the shower yet. Well, technically, I guess I could, but I don't want to work on my yoga with balancing on one leg in the shower, so I emailed and asked for a shower chair. There is a limited number on board available, so if this is something he needs, email them sooner rahter than later.

Is he able to shower OK? I'm not allowed to stand in the shower yet. Well, technically, I guess I could, but I don't want to work on my yoga with balancing on one leg in the shower, so I emailed and asked for a shower chair. There is a limited number on board available, so if this is something he needs, email them sooner rahter than later.

Yeah he has been cleared to bear weight. Doc just warned that if he is walking too much and starts limping again, then back to the crutches to keep weight off. He has been fine the last couple days off crutches, but we haven't been walking much either. So I guess better safe than sorry and will drag along the crutches in case they are needed. Even when on crutches he could do the shower. So, hopefully we won't need that service!

Hope you are better soon! I am sure it won't be fun to spend your cruise on crutches! (and hopes for calm seas).

Archived