Best place for easy fishing?

Luckyroot

Taking my 80 year old dad on an Alaskan cruise in June. We're going to be in Anchorage 1 day - Denali 2 days, then onto the cruise (Skagway, Juneau & Ketchikan).

Where should I investigate for some easy fishing. Nothing too strenuous, I thought maybe we could shore fish for a little bit (Dad would like to try fishing for the first time in a very long time).

Thanks

does your cruise leave from Seward? Are you doing a cruisetour or renting a car? A really fun experience would be to watch or participate in combat fishing on the Russian River near Coopers Landing the morning of your cruise. It's about 1 1/2 hrs from Seward. http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Fishing/russianreds.html

Since you have a car, it's definitely a possibility. You'll need to factor in the tunnel to Whittier since it's only open to cars at specific times. Look on a map to find Anc, Coopers Landing and Whittier to get your bearings.

Take the Seward Hwy out of Anc, near mile 45 you get to Portage. (From here, Whittier is about 10 miles east.) If you stay on the Seward Hwy for another 40 miles you come to the Sterling Hwy. Take the Sterling for about 10 miles and you get to Coopers Landing. It's a beautiful spot; the water is a spectacular color and you're surrounded by forest and mountains. We really enjoyed watching people fishing from the banks or floating down the river in small boats. We didn't stay at the Kenai Princess but we've stopped there a few times (nice views of the river from the lounge!). Lots of bear in the area so be aware if you wonder around. It would be a nice spot to stay the night before your cruise.

Are you renting from Avis; they're the only car rental in Whittier. Or were you planning to do a return rental out of Anchorage then train/bus/tranfer to Whittier on cruise day?

Are you renting from Avis; they're the only car rental in Whittier. Or were you planning to do a return rental out of Anchorage then train/bus/tranfer to Whittier on cruise day?

We arrive in ANC and will pick up the car there. Returning car there and taking train to Whittier to board the Coral Princess. Will definitely look at a map and check out your suggestion, thanks!

Since you will be here so early in the year, stream fishing is not an option as the salmon aren't running until July. Fishing is good out of Juneau and Ketchikan and there are a lot of charters out of both places. You might be able to combine fishing with some whale watching or bird watching.

Not Easy (for any age): Combat Fishing

Easy: Ketchikan Charter Boats, Inc.

If you might be interested in a 4-hour or 6-hour charter fishing trip, Ketchikan Charter Boats, Inc. http://www.ketchikancharterboats.com does a good job and they will work with you if you are a cruise passenger (i.e. picking you up, having the fish processed and shipped home, etc.). BTW, they do give other discounts not listed on their web site if you will call them and just ask [e.g. military (active & retired), Alaska Airlines employees and perhaps others]

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I also read somewhere that locals will even lend you equipment in exchange for whatever you catch. This would be fine with us, not necessarily looking to ship fish home, just have some quality time together doing something he enjoys.

Since you will be here so early in the year, stream fishing is not an option as the salmon aren't running until July. Fishing is good out of Juneau and Ketchikan and there are a lot of charters out of both places. You might be able to combine fishing with some whale watching or bird watching.

Not true. The first run starts around the first week of June and peaks around June 25. The second run is in July. Obviously the dates aren't set in stone; it's nature There was a "calendar" in the link I posted earlier.

Regardless of where you choose to fish, consult the Fish and Game web site to see which fish are running and when, depending on the location. Try to fit it in where it makes the most sense for your entire itinerary.

We don't fish but we always start our visit to the Kenai Peninsula with a stop in Coopers Landing, to watch the fishermen and to enjoy the natural beauty of the area.

We also did a salmon charter in Ketchikan last summer. Great fun! We can highly recommend Dan Leathers of North Pacific Charters in Ketchikan. Dan is quite a character and gave us a terrific day.

The convenience could not be beat. Dan pulls the Kisutch right into the pier area where you are docked. We literally walked down the ramp from the ship and onto the boat. He took care of licensing and will also arrange freezing and shipping home if you desire (although it sounds like you are not interested in this right now).

Have fun!

We also did a salmon charter in Ketchikan last summer. Great fun! We can highly recommend Dan Leathers of North Pacific Charters in Ketchikan. Dan is quite a character and gave us a terrific day.

The convenience could not be beat. Dan pulls the Kisutch right into the pier area where you are docked. We literally walked down the ramp from the ship and onto the boat. He took care of licensing and will also arrange freezing and shipping home if you desire (although it sounds like you are not interested in this right now).

Have fun!

Not so much that we aren't interested in it, but have heard that it's horribly expensive.

I just don't see that you have time to go bank fishing in the places you are going to be OTHER than maybe fishing in the creek in Anchorage. This again depends on when in June.

I know Ship Creek Inn has fishing poles for use by their guests.

Otherwise, if you can stretch your trip out by a few days, this is a guide DH uses EVERY year in the Kenai the first day he arrives Alaska to get the lay of the land for that year-where the fish are, what they are biting on, etc. etc. http://silverfinguides.com/ Gary ONLY bank fishes, so the price is reasonable.

You can also go fishing in the Homer Fishing Hole for free (just a license needed which can be purchased online or at many, many places in Alaska). You can rent poles and buy bait and hooks directly across the street from the Fishing Hole.

BUT the lower Kenai area, particularly Homer is a 4-6 hour drive from Anchorage with no stops. So at least one extra day will be required and two makes for a pleasant trip.

Otherwise, I think you are relegated to the pricey fishing trips in ports. I have wracked DH's brain on where to go bank fishing and this is the best he can come up with.

Our ports of call are Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau, if that matters. We could also bank fish in any of the ports.

Thanks to everyone for hte help!

Next to DIPAC fish hatchery, there's a rent a pole place in Juneau. I also swears I've seen people mentioning 'rent a pole' places in Ketchikan. In Juneau, you could take a cab; it's not far from downtown. Perhaps a $15 ride? There's also the public bus, but I doubt that's an option with your father. Tours go there, but they're very tour-bus like, on a schedule.

The fishermen are very friendly and happy to chat. The hatchery is worth the inexpensive tour.

Sorry, I haven't rented the pole, so I don't know the cost, but I can't imagine it's expensive. I assume it's catch and release and a license isn't involved? (I should know this; I work for Fish and Game licensing!) Otherwise, a fishing license would need to be purchased, even if he doesn't intend to take the fish home. We do have one day non-resident licenses.

I also read somewhere that locals will even lend you equipment in exchange for whatever you catch.

But I can tell you that this would be a violation without a fishing license, and taking a citation home probably isn't your idea of a souvenir!

Not so much that we aren't interested in it, but have heard that it's horribly expensive.

If you are interested in keeping costs down and are not particularly interested in having your catch shipped home, here is a option - the Comfort Inn Ship Creek http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-anchorage-alaska-AK006 has great fishing right behind the hotel. Some people have pulled some good sized kings out of Ship Creek.

They do have poles available for use by guests. Free I think. In June, it will be light until 11:30 PM (or later) and I have seen the banks of Ship Creek lined with fishermen at this hour. An added bonus is that they are very close to the Alaska RR station. If your flight reservations are not yet set in stone, consider adding an extra day in Anchorage for this.

Next to DIPAC fish hatchery, there's a rent a pole place in Juneau. I also swears I've seen people mentioning 'rent a pole' places in Ketchikan. In Juneau, you could take a cab; it's not far from downtown. Perhaps a $15 ride? There's also the public bus, but I doubt that's an option with your father. Tours go there, but they're very tour-bus like, on a schedule.

The fishermen are very friendly and happy to chat. The hatchery is worth the inexpensive tour.

Sorry, I haven't rented the pole, so I don't know the cost, but I can't imagine it's expensive. I assume it's catch and release and a license isn't involved? (I should know this; I work for Fish and Game licensing!) Otherwise, a fishing license would need to be purchased, even if he doesn't intend to take the fish home. We do have one day non-resident licenses.

But I can tell you that this would be a violation without a fishing license, and taking a citation home probably isn't your idea of a souvenir!

Ketchikan Creek 2 blocks south from the cruise ships. You can get a license and poles. When the pinks are running, you can get one on almost every cast. Make sure you don't injure the salmon when returned to the creek. A couple of years ago I seen this person from NY catch salmon and had his wife take a picture and the salmon were out of the water over 5 minutes and there was 8 or 9 dead salmon in the area he was fishing. Preserve the salmon by catch and release. Keep them in the water and handle carefully.

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone stayed in this hotel? Is it nice, and would you stay again? Is the internet free? Sorry for all of the questions. :)

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Yes

Yes

Sorry, don't remember about the internet. Call them!

• 4 weeks later...

We had a great fishing experience with Ketchikan Charter Boats and our skipper Danny. Office gal Carla made all the reservations through e-mail and we had a non-strenuous couple of hours of calm water fishing and the six of us caught 33 salmon in that short amount of time. Still have some fillets in the freezer. Delicious. Would recommend having some of them smoked, also. I posted a few videos of our fishing expedition on YouTube if you care to check them out. Search for my videos by my YouTube name: edcassells

Hope this helps.

We had a great fishing experience with Ketchikan Charter Boats and our skipper Danny. Office gal Carla made all the reservations through e-mail and we had a non-strenuous couple of hours of calm water fishing and the six of us caught 33 salmon in that short amount of time. Still have some fillets in the freezer. Delicious. Would recommend having some of them smoked, also. I posted a few videos of our fishing expedition on YouTube if you care to check them out. Search for my videos by my YouTube name: edcassells

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the video. Do you remember the cost to have the fish sent to your home (processing and shipping)?

Thanks for the video. Do you remember the cost to have the fish sent to your home (processing and shipping)?

This chart, although for the fish processor DH uses every year, is pretty reflective of fish processing and packing plus FedEx charges throughout Alaska.

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

Archived