Back from Royal Princess Tahiti/FP Cruise 11/28 – 12/10/2010

sassystyxfan

Laura, what a delightful ending to a wonderful story.

Your vivid description of your excursions has reinforced our plans for many of the same choices. I must say that I kinda wish that we had been on that cruise with you & Banditoo. I’m also an OCD planner but I’m virtually alone on my Roll Call, so we may not get to do some of these great private tours unless others join us!

How lucky for you to end your visit in paradise by meeting a local “celebrity” and for her to be taken with your pareo! I was very interested in your account of the John Norman Hall Museum, since it’s included as part of our post-cruise transfer to the Radisson. Now I’ll be more eager to visit it. Loved seeing the Shutterfly pic of you on the steps of the Museum wearing your magic pareo. It looks great. Is it hand-painted & signed? It must be a work of art.

Thanks again for your captivating travelogue.

And you are welcome...I enjoyed reliving it! The pareo is signed "Sarah" - I had to go look! I'll post a larger pic tomorrow.

In the meantime, good luck with your planning and CC group. Sometimes the roll call picks up just before the cruise. Have a wonderful cruise and tell Teri (or was it Carrie) at the museum that we said hi! I hate it when I can't remember names...

Laura, what a delightful ending to a wonderful story.

Loved seeing the Shutterfly pic of you on the steps of the Museum wearing your magic pareo. It looks great. Is it hand-painted & signed? It must be a work of art.

Here it is..it's brighter than the picture and the red, netty looking flowers are embroidered:

ry%3D480

Reading your review brought back wonderful memories of the cruise, with exactly the same itinerary we took 2 years ago, to the most beautiful place I have every been. Many things you reported sounded so familiar that I felt like I was almost there again, and could envision things all over again. Thank you SO much.

We are booked for the 28 day r/t LA - Hawaii - Samoa - Tahiti - LA in October on the Sapphire. I am thrilled to be returning to this lovely part of the world, in addition to repeating Hawaii, and visiting Samoa for the first time.

Thank you for making me start daydreaming about going back.

Reading your review brought back wonderful memories of the cruise, with exactly the same itinerary we took 2 years ago, to the most beautiful place I have every been. Many things you reported sounded so familiar that I felt like I was almost there again, and could envision things all over again. Thank you SO much.

We are booked for the 28 day r/t LA - Hawaii - Samoa - Tahiti - LA in October on the Sapphire. I am thrilled to be returning to this lovely part of the world, in addition to repeating Hawaii, and visiting Samoa for the first time.

Thank you for making me start daydreaming about going back.

I'll bet you are thrilled...that itinerary sounds fabulous! Have a wonderful time. I can't imagine being on vacation for 28 days. Sounds dreamy!

There is supposed to be a wonderful Tahitian dance show the first night on the ship. Does anyone remember approximately what time this happened?

Thanks!

Though I didn't go see it or hear of anyone who had, the Princess Patter for our first day on ship in Papeete indicates the 'Hei Tahiti Folkloric Song & Dance Show' with local performers was scheduled for 1015 pm in the cabaret lounge on Deck 5.

I did see the evening show put on by local performers the night we were in Raiatea before sail away. That was out on the pool deck about 10pm and was enjoyable.

Though I didn't go see it or hear of anyone who had, the Princess Patter for our first day on ship in Papeete indicates the 'Hei Tahiti Folkloric Song & Dance Show' with local performers was scheduled for 1015 pm in the cabaret lounge on Deck 5.

I did see the evening show put on by local performers the night we were in Raiatea before sail away. That was out on the pool deck about 10pm and was enjoyable.

Thanks!!!

(Good to see someone else brings home the Patters. ;) You never know when it'll come in handy! :D )

Here it is..it's brighter than the picture and the red, netty looking flowers are embroidered.
What a gorgeous find! Like you, I'm super picky since I already have several pareos & wraps from other trips. So finding the "perfect" pareo is also on my list. Where exactly did your DH find it? I may have to send my DH on a similar mission. :):)

Thanks again Laura.

What a gorgeous find! Like you, I'm super picky since I already have several pareos & wraps from other trips. So finding the "perfect" pareo is also on my list. Where exactly did your DH find it? I may have to send my DH on a similar mission. :):)

Thanks again Laura.

In the Pineapple Distillary gift shop :)

We are on-board the Royal Princess now. Today is a sea day, and yesterday was a visit to Rangiroa. Maybe someone planning a excursion in Rangiroa will benefit from this post.

We had a full day tour booked with Tereva Excursions. They never showed. I even sent an email to confirm the tour just before we left home.

Meeting time was 8:15 am, and we arrived before 8:00. We waited over 2 hours, and finally a water-taxi driver told us that Jean-Pierre was already on his way to the Blue Lagoon with hotel guests.

We watched the cruiseline tours leave, we watched other private tours leave, and the Princess shore excursion agent told me that everything else for the day was filled.

Luckily, we went to a dive / snorkel shop right by the pier, so at least we could do some snorkeling, etc.

Another couple had a tour booked with Freddie (different tour company) who also didn't show, and so they too were abandoned.

Unless you want to take a chance of having no tour at all in Rangiroa, avoid Tareva Excursions and the other company run by Freddie.

We are on-board the Royal Princess now. Today is a sea day, and yesterday was a visit to Rangiroa. Maybe someone planning a excursion in Rangiroa will benefit from this post.

We had a full day tour booked with Tereva Excursions. They never showed. I even sent an email to confirm the tour just before we left home.

Meeting time was 8:15 am, and we arrived before 8:00. We waited over 2 hours, and finally a water-taxi driver told us that Jean-Pierre was already on his way to the Blue Lagoon with hotel guests.

We watched the cruiseline tours leave, we watched other private tours leave, and the Princess shore excursion agent told me that everything else for the day was filled.

Luckily, we went to a dive / snorkel shop right by the pier, so at least we could do some snorkeling, etc.

Another couple had a tour booked with Freddie (different tour company) who also didn't show, and so they too were abandoned.

Unless you want to take a chance of having no tour at all in Rangiroa, avoid Tareva Excursions and the other company run by Freddie.

We are booked in Rangiroa for this tour next month, but I am a bit confused. We have been told by Jean-Pierre that HE will email us onboard the ship the day before to confirm that sea conditions are favorable for the tour the next morning. Did you not check your email or have him contact you onboard the ship the day before you arrived? I would never consider emailing before I left home, as you will not know what the sea condions will be like, and my understanding is that he will email to confirm the day prior to arrival. If it is too rough, they will not be waiting for you on the pier, but the tour will be cancelled. It sounds like wires were crossed somewhere with your booking. Sorry to hear you missed your tour. We will report back as to what we found in February, but thanks for the warning. ;)

We were on the recent Nov 29th sailing and I personally set up the Blue Lagoon tour with Jean-Pierre for our roll-call group(12 people IIRC)...

We were told to meet between 8:15a-8:45a and as scheduled Roger(our guide for the day) and the driver were there to meet us with their boat...

I too relay that it is unfortunate that you were unable to take Tereva's tour as the destination of the Blue Lagoon was well worth the 1 1/4 hr boat ride each way...

Everything provided in the tour was as advertised...Opportunities to snorkel/take in bird island...Feeding the sharks in the shallow lagoon...A tasty lunch and palm frond weaving presentation...A chance to swim with the Black-Tip Reef Sharks and larger Lemon Sharks in the island's main lagoon and even the option to drift snorkel and look for dolphins in the Avatoru pass upon return...

It was a great day and a real value for the money(7500 XPF/$80approx.)...I would recommend the tour for any who are considering it...I do understand that internet service is sort of hit-or-miss on the islands and often e-mail correspondence can be difficult...I made sure to be diligent in keeping in contact with Jean-Pierre and updating him on our group and reservation for the day that the ship was in port...

It was slightly windy in the lagoon that day and the ride was of the rougher variety so I cannot make a guess as to what level of inclement weather might cause the cancelling of the tour but I must reiterate that the tour was a great value and up there in quality with all of the other (boat)tours that we booked on the islands(Marc's/Bruno's/Patrick's)...In fact Tereva's boat was the most sea-worthy of the four possessing a very powerful outboard and strong durable hull...

Here are a few pictures from the day:

PC030469.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

PC030503.jpg

PC030478.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

PC030516.jpg

We were on the recent Nov 29th sailing and I personally set up the Blue Lagoon tour with Jean-Pierre for our roll-call group(12 people IIRC)...

We were told to meet between 8:15a-8:45a and as scheduled Roger(our guide for the day) and the driver were there to meet us with their boat...

I too relay that it is unfortunate that you were unable to take Tereva's tour as the destination of the Blue Lagoon was well worth the 1 1/4 hr boat ride each way...

Everything provided in the tour was as advertised...Opportunities to snorkel/take in bird island...Feeding the sharks in the shallow lagoon...A tasty lunch and palm frond weaving presentation...A chance to swim with the Black-Tip Reef Sharks and larger Lemon Sharks in the island's main lagoon and even the option to drift snorkel and look for dolphins in the Avatoru pass upon return...

It was a great day and a real value for the money(7500 XPF/$80approx.)...I would recommend the tour for any who are considering it...I do understand that internet service is sort of hit-or-miss on the islands and often e-mail correspondence can be difficult...I made sure to be diligent in keeping in contact with Jean-Pierre and updating him on our group and reservation for the day that the ship was in port...

It was slightly windy in the lagoon that day and the ride was of the rougher variety so I cannot make a guess as to what level of inclement weather might cause the cancelling of the tour but I must reiterate that the tour was a great value and up there in quality with all of the other (boat)tours that we booked on the islands(Marc's/Bruno's/Patrick's)...In fact Tereva's boat was the most sea-worthy of the four possessing a very powerful outboard and strong durable hull...

Here are a few pictures from the day:

PC030469.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

PC030503.jpg

PC030478.jpg

PC030516.jpg

Thanks for your post, your reassurances and your beautiful pictures! We are scheduled to go with Toto next month and are looking forward to this tour.

(I sure hope the boat in your second picture wasn't the one used for the tour! :eek: )

Thanks for your post, your reassurances and your beautiful pictures! We are scheduled to go with Toto next month and are looking forward to this tour.

(I sure hope the boat in your second picture wasn't the one used for the tour!)

Ha Ha...No...At least not the boat used to get to there via Rangiroa's main lagoon...We did however have the option to take a dinghy once inside the Blue Lagoon to go over from where the picnic area motu was to where the bird island/snorkeling area was located...

My advice would be to bring some good water shoes for the tour as the boat has to anchor some distance from the motu(s) at the Blue Lagoon and one has to walk about 100 meters to get to the shore...The water is never deeper than a couple of feet but there are sharp/rough pieces of coral in the shallows along the way...

More pics:

Our guides

IMG_2375.jpg

Approaching the motu where we had lunch(We anchored at small orange round buoy in middle of pic)

IMG_2400.jpg

Our group walking from the boat to the motu

PC030467.jpg

Looking back from the motu showing distance to where boat was anchored

IMG_2518.jpg

Dinghy inside Blue Lagoon

IMG_2422.jpg

Picture on Bird island

PC030561.jpg

Ha Ha...No...At least not the boat used to get to there via Rangiroa's main lagoon...We did however have the option to take a dinghy once inside the Blue Lagoon to go over from where the picnic area motu was to where the bird island/snorkeling area was located...

My advice would be to bring some good water shoes for the tour as the boat has to anchor some distance from the motu(s) at the Blue Lagoon and one has to walk about 100 meters to get to the shore...The water is never deeper than a couple of feet but there are sharp/rough pieces of coral in the shallows along the way...

More pics:

Our guides

IMG_2375.jpg

Approaching the motu where we had lunch(We anchored at small orange round buoy in middle of pic)

IMG_2400.jpg

Our group walking from the boat to the motu

PC030467.jpg

Looking back from the motu showing distance to where boat was anchored

IMG_2518.jpg

Dinghy inside Blue Lagoon

IMG_2422.jpg

Picture on Bird island

PC030561.jpg

The pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!

Thank You!

I am sitting here in gray, snowy, freezing Michigan and your pictures are making me SO EXCITED to go on this trip!!

The pictures are absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!

Thank You!

I am sitting here in gray, snowy, freezing Michigan and your pictures are making me SO EXCITED to go on this trip!!

And I'm sitting in cloudy&drizzly Oregon wishing I was back there again:cool:...Have fun on your trip...The wife and I absolutely did...All of the tours that we scheduled with our CC roll call group were fun and unique in their own special way...

Reading Laura's recap is helping to keep the memories still fresh...

Would like to set this tour up but have no computer on ship to ck or do we use ship computer? Not sure what do do on this !!!

There is an internet cafe on the ship. You buy packages or pay by the minute. Or you can take your laptop and buy packages or pay by the minute to use from your room or elsewhere on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sassystyx fan: Thanks so much for your wonderful review of your trip. French Polynesia is an area I have always wanted to visit. I am looking ahead to 2012 for this trip. I wll probably be traveling solo, and was wondering if your cruise had solo travelers. I am retiring in Dec. 2011 well ahead of friends and family and would love to do this trip. Thanks for any input regarding this cruise (I think Ocean Princess is taking over the route) for anyone who would be traveling alone. I have done other solo trips and usually feel quite comfortable doing so. Gailellen12 gemcd12@aol.com

Dear Sassystyx fan: Thanks so much for your wonderful review of your trip. French Polynesia is an area I have always wanted to visit. I am looking ahead to 2012 for this trip. I wll probably be traveling solo, and was wondering if your cruise had solo travelers. I am retiring in Dec. 2011 well ahead of friends and family and would love to do this trip. Thanks for any input regarding this cruise (I think Ocean Princess is taking over the route) for anyone who would be traveling alone. I have done other solo trips and usually feel quite comfortable doing so. Gailellen12 gemcd12@aol.com

Hi Gailellen - yes, we actually met a lady (early 50's I'm guessing) who was solo. She met a LOT of nice people. We always saw her visiting. There was only 700 passengers on the Royal so you see the same people every day. We saw her at the airport on our way home and she had a GREAT time even tho her boyfriend couldn't be there with her. She said she met new friends and she was so glad she went. I suggest joining your roll call and you can even met people before you board. It makes excursion planning easier when you plan to do things with the group ahead of time. Feel free to ask any more questions! And have a great time!

Archived