Insurance primarily for weather-related issue?

masonpips

My dh and I just booked (3 days ago so we're in most "windows" to buy the better insurance) a 4 night cruise in February. My mom will be flying up to stay w/our kids and if weather hampers her flight up we will use friends so we're covered for her portion ($200) and the "we can't go because we have no childcare" part.

But given that it will be February and the winter thus far, I am most concerned about weather delay interuption.

Our itinerary:

Depart noon Feb 9 (Wed)

Cruise 5 pm Feb 10 (Miami)

First port is Key West on Feb 11 so a possible "catch up" stop could happen

Return 11 am Feb 14

I've read a lot on the various websites but still don't really understand what happens in the event of weather. When they say a 24 cease of operations, do they mean from your home airport or an airport you'll fly through (Atlanta in our case)? What if it's 23 hours? Or 20, but can't get us there in time? We can use the Trip Delay or Interuption $$ to get us to Key West right? And the cancelation $$ to cover the whole thing if we couldn't get there?

Is there any reason (weather related) to buy the "Cancel for any Reason" insurance to help with weather? Most have a 48 hour (one or two a 24 hour) window to cancel in advance so I don't see that would help unless a massive blizzard were on the forecast to hit Atlanta or something like that?

I always buy insurance for our family (my son had an emergency appendectomy one summer and I realize stuff like that could happen at any time) but more for the medical things that could happen, not weather.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much

I've read a lot on the various websites but still don't really understand what happens in the event of weather. When they say a 24 cease of operations, do they mean from your home airport or an airport you'll fly through (Atlanta in our case)? What if it's 23 hours? Or 20, but can't get us there in time? We can use the Trip Delay or Interuption $$ to get us to Key West right? And the cancelation $$ to cover the whole thing if we couldn't get there?

The reason you're having trouble is that EVERY plan is different in how they handle these situations. There's no general rule as to if and how any particular plan will handle any weather event that might come up.

One I like is theTravelSafe Vacation Plan because they have a very good "missed connection" benefit (up to $2500 per person). Here's the wording:

"Missed Connection: If You miss Your cruise or tour departure because Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours, benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount, for a) the Additional Transportation Cost to join the Trip and b) the unused portion of the prepaid expenses for land or water Travel Arrangements, due to:

a) any delay of a Common Carrier (the delay must be certified by the Common Carrier);

b) a documented weather condition preventing You from getting to the point of departure;

c) quarantine, hijacking, Strike, natural disaster, terrorism or riot. Benefits will be paid, on a one-time basis, up to the Maximum Benefit Amount."

What's nice is they they're only worried about the TOT/AL delay -- Your arrival at Your Trip destination is delayed for 3 or more hours -- which is as straightforward as you'll find. And the benefit amount ($2500 p/p) should be more than enough to cover catching up with the ship if necessary along with reimbursing you for any missed days of the cruise. It's a good all-around plan and I believe they cover kids for free still if that matters.

http://www.travelsafe.com

Bear in mind that your idea of a "catch-up stop" in Key West may not be possible. Regulations won't permit you to get on in one US port (Key West) and disembark in another (back in Miami) without a stop at a 'distant' foreign port. On a four-day cruise that really isn't feasible.

The fines to the cruise line are $300pp, and "IF" they let you get on, they may very well pass that fine on to you.

Bear in mind that your idea of a "catch-up stop" in Key West may not be possible. Regulations won't permit you to get on in one US port (Key West) and disembark in another (back in Miami) without a stop at a 'distant' foreign port. On a four-day cruise that really isn't feasible.

The fines to the cruise line are $300pp, and "IF" they let you get on, they may very well pass that fine on to you.

Thanks, we do have Cozumel in there which would help, but I expect our issue (if we were to have one) would be in OK or GA and Key West would be a long shot. Fingers crossed that this discussion is all for naught!

Thanks, we do have Cozumel in there which would help, but I expect our issue (if we were to have one) would be in OK or GA and Key West would be a long shot. Fingers crossed that this discussion is all for naught!

For the reasons brought up earlier,, "Cozumel" is NOT a Distant Foreign Port. It is a Near Foreign Port. You're now getting into legalities of the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

You "could" catch up in Key West but the cruiseline would have to know in advance and you WOULD be responsible for any fines associated with violating the PVSA.

Archived