Infinity - Alaska cruise

txjeffrey

My family and I are considering a June 10, 2011 cruise on Infinity from Seattle to Alaska. If you have sailed on Infinity before, I would love to hear any comments, suggestions, etc. that you are willing to share. Which deck do you recommend? Which shore excursions are the ones to consider? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We have been on the Infinity and it is a very nice ship, but I would seriously reconsider this particular cruise based on the itinerary. It is one of the worst Alaska itineraries I have seen.

The 2 "At Sea" days spent traveling in open ocean around the west side of Vancouver island are 2 completely wasted days, IMHO. Instead I would much rather take a cruise out of Vancouver that travels the scenic Canadian Inside Passage on the east side of Vancouver Island.

This itinerary also has some undesirable short and late port times and does not visit either Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. There is a chance the ship may not even be able to get to the Sawyer Glaciers at the end of Tracy Arm Fjord.

Fri, Jun 10 Seattle, Washington Depart 4:00 PM

Sat, Jun 11 At Sea

Sun, Jun 12 Ketchikan, Alaska Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Mon, Jun 13 Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska Cruising Arrive 6:00 AM Depart 10:00 AM

Mon, Jun 13 Juneau, Alaska Docked Arrive 2:30 PM Depart 10:00 PM

Tue, Jun 14 Skagway, Alaska Docked Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Tue, Jun 14 Alaska Inside Passage Cruising Arrive 6:30 PM Depart 10:30 PM

Wed, Jun 15 At Sea

Thu, Jun 16 Victoria, British Columbia Docked Arrive 6:00 PM Depart 11:59 PM

Fri, Jun 17 Seattle, Washington Arrive 7:00 AM

We took the Infinity from Hawaii to Vancouver and were really pleased, and flew up to Alaska for a self guided tour. Service has greatly improved on that ship. I would recommend checking out the location of your room before finalizing booking. The huge overhang on the Concierge Level was too much for us. I like to see the stars, straight up from where I stand. Seeing stars on the horizon only, though lovely, just did not cut it for us. And, the rooms were too dark and shaded during the day. Sunlight, stars and blue water is why we book balconies. Enjoy your trip!

Hi,

The Infinity is a lovely ship, and we will have been aboard a short time prior to you as the ship respositions from Ft. Lauderdale to Seattle.

As for the Deck 9 Concierge Class balconies and their so-called 'overhang,' we book those staterooms purposefully, even on an Alaska cruise. This is no ill reflection at all on those who don't care for the overhang. It's just not an issue for us.

A June cruise is a good time to cruise Alaska, but it isn't quite into the summer season. Alaska cruising, even in summertime, usually includes a fair amount of rain, unless you get very, very lucky (which does happen, especially the last couple of year). But if its rainy, that covered balcony on Deck 9 enables you to be out there enjoying the view while others are inside behind glass. And you can be taking photos without risking getting your camera wet.

But, if on the other hand your balcony preferences lean more toward those of the above poster, avoid Deck 9. Evelynn's observation that the overhang shades and darkens the room is correct.

Above all, have a wonderful vacation to the magnificent scenery of Alaska!

CM

Hi... I am not sure if you have seen this yet but I am in the process of doing a very detailed review of the Infinity with lots of pictures from our recent Panama Canal Cruise. She is a beautiful ship.

Obviously, I can't comment directly on the Infinity and Alaska, although we have done Alaska on a different cruise line and it is a must see at least once. If you have any questions feel free to leave me some and I will do my best to answer for you either about Alaska or the Infinity.

The link to my review is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1319973

We will be doing the same itinerary in July and have thoroughly enjoyed Sayvan's review and photos. Really worth checking out.

As far as the intinerary being bad, sailing out of Vancouver would add $500 per person to our airfare ($1500 for 3 of us), so we'll stay with what we have.

As a poster says the Seattle trip spends a lot of time "Outside" and in open ocean... this has always been the negative about leaving from Seattle on a 7 day cruise.

However I have this to say about that. You do get more time to enjoy the ship and X has apparently this year changed up the Glaciers for an opportunity to visit Skagway. The Infinity has seldom if ever docked there to my Knowledge and it is quite an addition to this Itinerary. That being said the words "Inside Passage" on the schedule are a bit of a misnomer as it refers only to a short time spend sailing south from Skagway and this is really only the "Inside Passage" in their imagination.

Trips from Vancouver do a better job of seeing some of the inside but in fact they also rarely get into the real "Inside" due to the size of the ships these days. They do spend a lot more time in sheltered waters though and you will get hours of scenery.

We have done the Infinity on both routes and enjoyed the trips almost equally other than the time spend outside. The apparent addition of Skagway is a bonus. Do something there with the White Pass and Yukon railway..very cool.

We are not excusion people and actaully use the city buses in Juneau and Ketchikan as well as just walking right off the ship. Juneau would be the best place for a whale tour I think.

The trip up Tracy Arm can be very beautiful but as said chances of getting to the end and observing the glacier there are less than the other two usual options. We have been stuck without seeing those close up also so it is a bit of a gamble regardless of where you go. It is Alaska and the coast.

The best cabins to have on the Infinity are the aft CC. if you can manage one of them. Balconies are huge and there is lots of cover and open space when you need either. They go quickly. Other than that the choices are similar. There is so much to see from either side of the ship it doesn't really matter.

If I had my druthers I would sail the Infinity over any other ship. If I had my druthers I would do a 7 day from Vancouver so we are going to do just that in September on the Century more our size.

Good Luck enjoy your planning.

Oh I forgot about Victoria.... Nice city and if you arrive on time you should take a tour of the Butchart Gardens if you have any interest at all in such things. Take a ship's tour because of time limitations. If you only take a shuttle and go to the inner harbour it would be worth it also.

I have sailed out of Vancouver and Seattle to Alaska several times since I live in between Seattle and Vancouver. It is true when you sail out of Seattle you could have a rough few hours in open ocean but not usually too bad especially since most of it is when you are sleeping. The scenery leaving either port is spectacular! I have sailed May, June, July, Aug and Sept and have had great and rotten weather. You have to count on rain and a little chilly but my last two sailings in May and June I got a sunburn...I love any of the Fjords or Glacier Bay over Hubbard Glacier but the is my opinion. If you decide to fly into Seattle you can take a shuttle to Vancouver or even better spend a few days in the area with a rental car then take the train from Everett or Stanwood. I did this last summer and will never take anything but the train again. It is awesome! Have fun! Lisa

My 2 sisters and mom did this cruise 2 years ago but I think the itinerary is different now. I remember looking at it for the next year and thinking I was going to have to try a different boat. Holland had a better itinerary. I have since sailed 2 times with HAL and would be just as a happy on one of their boats. But I loved Infinity...much prettier boat than HAL, IMHO The "T" pool (as we called it because we never figured out how to pronounce it lol) was awesome. It was nice to sit there under the glass roof, listening to the rain patter and be in warm cozy water.(No extra charge to use the "T" pool)

As far as things to do in port, Juneau whale watching was my favorite. Nothing like seeing a mama and baby whale or seeing a whale breech. But next time I am going on one of the little boats! I went on a bigger boat and it got old real fast trying to get a good look from the railing with 20 or 30 other people.

Beautiful, beautiful Alaska! Great on any boat!

• 2 weeks later...
My family and I are considering a June 10, 2011 cruise on Infinity from Seattle to Alaska. If you have sailed on Infinity before, I would love to hear any comments, suggestions, etc. that you are willing to share. Which deck do you recommend? Which shore excursions are the ones to consider? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have actually sailed on the Infinity to Alaska a few years ago....am planning another one at the end of this season on her. This is actually one of our favorite ships and Alaska is one of our favorite places which to cruise. We sailed on the Vista deck last time around and found it to be a perfect location, close to what you wanted to go do above and below.

We love days at sea just to discover everything unique to each ship, so would have no problem with spending extra days without any ports. I actually avoid cruises that are in port each and every day for that reason....really like to just enjoy what the ship has to offer. Plus, it is soooo much cheaper to fly into Seattle for us as well. I think you picked a good cruise and have very little doubt you will enjoy it.

From what I remember from our last cruise, there were some complaints from those that were on deck 9 from the noise above. They were very accomodating (and were able to do so...must not have been completely full) and allowed these complaining pax to sleep in a different room. To avoid this, I would stick with a room on deck 7 or 8, as I am sensitive to noise when trying to sleep.

Not sure of your ports of call, but can comment on the 'regulars' and hopefully some will be yours and maybe the suggestions will help.

In Victoria, I loved Buchart Gardens but equally liked Beacon Hill Park. this is a mini version of the famous Buchart Gardens but are within walking distance of the port with free entrance. I also thought high tea at the empress was fantastic but you can also take a free tour of this beautiful hotel without the tea and it is also within walking distance of the port, albeit, a bit of a longer walk....but definitely doable and pretty darned safe. There are some lovely neighborhoods to walk through on this island .... so you don't have to spend too much to enjoy yourself here.

Juneau is great. I would suggest taking a tour of the mendenhall glacier visitors center or if you are really adventuresome, kayak up to the glacier or take a helicopter onto the glacier. this day will be cold so remember to layer your clothing to do this tour. The fish hatchery in Juneau is really quite interesting as well. This is not too far from the port, but not within walking distance. One interesting fact about Juneau is how big it is...in land mass....do I remember that it is the largest city in the US in terms of square miles? I think this is right ....anyhow, we took a whale watching tour there once. We saw so much wildlife including whales, orcas, bald eagles, etc. No bear or moose sightings but not a dull moment. This is also a great tour to embark on...and the scenery is absolutely amazing!! At the end of the day, you must go into the Red Dog Salloon in town by the pier....it has been a blast every time we've gone there. And beware, if everyone is singing and pointing at you when you walk in, yes...they are making fun of you....just all in fun though. Just a very lively atmosphere, especially once the piano player really gets going.

Ketchikan is a charming town...all can be navigated by walking. Before going to Alaska the first time, someone mentioned the mosquitoes...but I didn't believe them. Just didn't seem possible...but there is a lot of standing water (from the rain) and so lots of mosquitoes and this is where were you might be likely to encounter some large ones, especially if you hike on the Married Man's Trail. You won't have a hard time finding this and it is a beautiful hike....but don't forget your deet. This is a fun place to walk through the shops, stop and get some souveniers, see the lumberjack show, grab some yummy local food and/or cocktail. I think this is where you can take a tram up Mount Roberts for a beautiful view of the the port and your ship. There is a nice hotel / restaurant up at the top with some gorgeous scenery and totems.

Skagway -- well, other than walking around the town and visiting the Red Onion (another bar similar to the Red Dog in Juneau), we took in a museum, went to the Soapy Smith show and once took a tour of the Chilcoot Trail (excuse my spelling and maybe my memory). There was a kind of cheesey gold mining tour we took here ....and it was a blast. There was a point during this tour where we stopped and it was so bitter cold. Glad we dressed appropriately here!! Just remember those layers. I think this is where they do the train ride....it is an all day thing....which we chose against. I hate being on any tour that last day...but heard it was great from some others that went on it. Although, I heard from others it was a very long time to be on a train and ended up sleeping through half of it.

Lastly, I will comment on Vancouver in case that is one of your stops. I think Stanley Park just has so much to offer. Vancouver is a lovely city...much of which is within walking distance of the pier...depending on which one you are docked at. Canada Place is the preferred one....if you are at the ballentine pier, you will probably need a cab. Granville Island can be kind of fun, and the Gaslight district is nice for shopping for souveniers. We have purchased tickets on the double decker red bus (grayline, I believe) and you can hop on and off as you wish with your all day ticket. This does stop at all the 'hot' spots in Vancouver including Stanley Park. This is a relatively inexpensive way to see many parts of this beautiful city.

Enjoy your cruise and enjoy the Infinity. Hope this info is helpful.

• 3 months later...
We will be doing the same itinerary in July and have thoroughly enjoyed Sayvan's review and photos. Really worth checking out.

As far as the intinerary being bad, sailing out of Vancouver would add $500 per person to our airfare ($1500 for 3 of us), so we'll stay with what we have.

Hi there, we also are doing the Alaska tour out of Seattle on Infinity on 8th July. this will be our first cruise with Celebrity cruises having previously cruised only twice on Golden Princess to Hawaii and Coral Princess partial transit of the Panama Canal. Both trips were absoloutley amazing and so I hope Celebrity can measure up to Princess.

What date are you sailing?

We are on the Infinity in August. We are taking 3 other couples that have never been to Alaska and have never cruised. This will be our 3rd trip to Alaska, having sailed from Seward and Vancouver previously. While many people think think this is a "less than desirable" trip, I would book what feels right for YOU. For us, being our 3rd trip, this is an okay itinierery. I hope the others we are taking will have another opportunity to visit Alaska and go from Vancouver, it is amazing!!!.. We have sailed many times with Celebrity, I think you will be pleased!! Enjoy your trip. :o:o

....partial transit of the Panama Canal....
A new one on me. How do you do that?:confused:

This will be our 3rd trip to Alaska, having sailed from Seward and Vancouver previously. While many people think think this is a "less than desirable" trip, I would book what feels right for YOU.
This will be my 4th trip to Alaska, but my first cruising. I would live there if I could find someone as crazy about it (or just as crazy) as I am. That would exclude my second, now ex-wife :eek: as I have now learned!

All my previous trips have been in an RV from ANC throughout the interior plus Cordova. Also have loaded the RV on an Alaska State ferry and taken it to places you couldn't get to otherwise. I can't fathom using "less than desireable" and Alaska in the same sentence unless it referenced going home.

Go, have fun and come back to see the rest of this magnificent state. It's an incredible adventure you won't find anywhere else I have ever been and that's a lot of places in this world.;)

The ship only went as far as gatun lake(throught the first set of locks going from Carribean) and then turned round and went back to the carribean and on to Costa Rica. We took a day trip and went all the way through the canal on a smaller tour boat to the Pacific and Panama City

The "less than desirable" has been the way MANY people have described doing a cruise to Alaska from Seattle. Obviously I agree that ANY trip to Alaska is worth it, since this will be our 3rd visit. And the 'less than desirable" is putting it nicely considering some of the descriptions of this trip. :D:D I think it is one of the MOST beautiful places on earth. We have taken extended time other than the cruises to see more of Alasks. I hope all will be able to see it someday!!!

The "less than desirable" has been the way MANY people have described doing a cruise to Alaska from Seattle.
I also believe there are some fairly jaded* folks on this forum who seem to get progressively more challenging to please, but that's probably for another time.:rolleyes:

*jad·ed/ˈjādid/

Adjective: Tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.

Archived