Falmouth businesses not prepared for first cruise ship.

bajathree

ROFL..... I have been to Falmouth a couple of years ago. It is just another Jamaican town. Nothing special about it. It was indeed a chance to play both ports of OR and Mobay. Could be they will get a real cut rate on the port over the years as it is "theirs". However once again, nothing special. Guess we will all see how this plays out.

ROFL..... I have been to Falmouth a couple of years ago. It is just another Jamaican town. Nothing special about it. It was indeed a chance to play both ports of OR and Mobay. Could be they will get a real cut rate on the port over the years as it is "theirs". However once again, nothing special. Guess we will all see how this plays out.

They may have got some cut rates going to Falmouth..... but it sure isn't being past onto the guest with the prices of the excursions.

I guess I am in the minority too. Does everyone want an overdeveloped area that looks the same as other ports. Oh My God, what will we do if Diamonds International and Del Sol are not there!:D

Here is a good article with a lot more detail about the port development status.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/New-Falmouth-cruise-ship-pier-not-ready_8262380

I don't think it has anything to do with Diamonds International or Del Sol. It reminds be a bit of when RCI started sending Explorer to New London, CT instead of Newport RI both of which are near where I live. My thought was what the heck is anyone going to do in New London. Anything worth seeing involves traveling.

My impression of Falmouth, so far, is that anything worth doing involves traveling. Yes, my impressions could be wrong. It seems that traveling times are considerable shortened by being in either Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. Maybe Falmouth will be a nice destination in the future or maybe not. But right now I have no interest in a cruise that stops there.... or New London CT for that matter. Of course, there is no Diamonds International in New London either.;)

Good luck deciding! It's hard when there's not a lot of info. for Falmouth yet! It's nice that you don't have to book Breezes ahead; then you can play things by ear if you want to.

Whatever you decide, please report when you get back. We don't go until April, so I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience.

:) I sure will report back on our day in Falmouth. I'm anxious to read comments from the first group who are arriving there this Friday. Let's keep this thread active so people can post their feedback on this new port.

Thanks so much! I'm interested in the Breezes that is right out of town mostly because of its location. I'm assuming that it's a short taxi ride from the pier? It doesn't get great reviews on TripAdvisor, but when I skimmed the negative comments it seemed like most of them were about room issues (lack of hot water and things like that.) If they have a good beach and reasonable rates, they would be a good fit for us. Has anyone been there?

Yes it a short drive to Breezes Trelawny! I havent been there personally, but my sister and her 3 kids 11, 4 and 3 stayed there a week when visitng from London and had a fab time with no issues!

Falmouth has been delayed once again. Voyager now first ship to call on 2/17.

http://www.cruise-community.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4673&catid=910&Itemid=69

:eek: Wow!! Thanks for posting this.

Now I guess we'll just have to wait and see where Voyager will be docking on the 20th of Jan. :confused: Sure hope RCCL let us know ahead of time so we can plan excursions accordingly. I'm very happy with the news of the delayed port opening!:D

:eek: Wow!! Thanks for posting this.

Now I guess we'll just have to wait and see where Voyager will be docking on the 20th of Jan. :confused: Sure hope RCCL let us know ahead of time so we can plan excursions accordingly. I'm very happy with the news of the delayed port opening!:D

It is good news. I would not want to be docking at a port that is not ready to handle the guests. I suggest calling RCI and ask them which port is replacing Falmouth.

I called Crown and Anchor and the rep told me that RCI had decided not to go to Falmouth but only for a very, very brief amount of time and then they changed their mind. He read to me a report they received yesterday that states the ships will still dock in Falmouth, they will have have a walkway to take you to shuttle buses for a complimentary 20 minute ride to The Shoppes at Rose Hall. (Oh, Joy ) He continued to read that all passengers will be provided a copy of the letter with a caution to stay on the walkway for their safety.

So... I called back to try and talk to someone else and got a woman and she basically read me the same thing.

The woman had me on hold for quite some time because I needed to know if the "walkway" was accessible for a mobility scooter and when she got back on, she confirmed that there has been no change to the Falmouth iteneraries. There will be Reggae bands and locals selling their wares at the pier. The complimentary shuttle to the Shoppes at Rose Hall is optional. Private tours, taxi's, excursions etc will be at the end of the "walkway" where the shuttle buses are.

I guess we will find out more on Friday from the Navigator cruise.

Yea...the Jan 16 Voyager is changed to Montego Bay.

It also changed around the whole itinerary. Really messes me up.

:confused: Just noticed that the itinerary was all changed around but I'm very happy to be going to Montego Bay. Jamaica was originally our last port but now it's our first. :) No big deal though.. I'm just happy we're not going to Falmouth :rolleyes:

:confused: Just noticed that the itinerary was all changed around but I'm very happy to be going to Montego Bay. Jamaica was originally our last port but now it's our first. :) No big deal though.. I'm just happy we're not going to Falmouth :rolleyes:

It is a pain for those who booked private excursions. I just sent a request to change my Cozumel beach club reservation. They may already be filled from other ships who were scheduled for that day a long time ago.

It is a pain for those who booked private excursions. I just sent a request to change my Cozumel beach club reservation. They may already be filled from other ships who were scheduled for that day a long time ago.

That would be me. I spent a great deal of time picking my dive company and now there is a possibility of having to do it again....with only 2 days to do it in.

It really made me mad...at first. But then I relaxed and remembered that I will be on a CRUISE SHIP SOON!! :D

I'll get over it. LOL

Oh yikes! I never thought of people who have pre-booked private excursions and can totally understand how frustrating it is to have to change them now. :( Here's hoping you're able to get the Cozumel reservation changed to suit the new arrival day.

If we didn't belong to Cruise Critic and find out about this change, we'd likely have no way of knowing.. nothing from RCCL :confused:

Oh yikes! I never thought of people who have pre-booked private excursions and can totally understand how frustrating it is to have to change them now. :( Here's hoping you're able to get the Cozumel reservation changed to suit the new arrival day.

If we didn't belong to Cruise Critic and find out about this change, we'd likely have no way of knowing.. nothing from RCCL :confused:

Actually, they sent TA's a fax after most were closed in the Eastern and Central time zones. I just happened to be working late. TA's will be busy notifying people tomorrow.

I called Crown and Anchor and the rep told me that RCI had decided not to go to Falmouth but only for a very, very brief amount of time and then they changed their mind. He read to me a report they received yesterday that states the ships will still dock in Falmouth, they will have have a walkway to take you to shuttle buses for a complimentary 20 minute ride to The Shoppes at Rose Hall. (Oh, Joy ) He continued to read that all passengers will be provided a copy of the letter with a caution to stay on the walkway for their safety.

So... I called back to try and talk to someone else and got a woman and she basically read me the same thing.

The woman had me on hold for quite some time because I needed to know if the "walkway" was accessible for a mobility scooter and when she got back on, she confirmed that there has been no change to the Falmouth iteneraries. There will be Reggae bands and locals selling their wares at the pier. The complimentary shuttle to the Shoppes at Rose Hall is optional. Private tours, taxi's, excursions etc will be at the end of the "walkway" where the shuttle buses are.

I guess we will find out more on Friday from the Navigator cruise.

That is a BIG problem as they have already faxed itinerary changes to travel agents asking them to notify guests that they are not going to Falmouth.

I am also seeing Ocho Rios for my Freedom sailing that leaves Jan. 9 (as of last night it was still Falmouth). We go to Jamaica on Jan 12. We were hoping to do the Chukka Zipline Canopy tour and hike Dunns River Falls (all one excursion) but there are currently no excursions listed.

Archived