Falmouth businesses not prepared for first cruise ship.

bajathree

Sailing on RCI Voyager 1/30/2011. As of 10:00 p.m. central time, 1/4/2011 : When I check online of our itenerary, it shows Montego Bay. And when I click on Shore Excursions, it no longer has Falmouth, but has Montego Bay. Woo Hoo :D Yes, Virginia, there really is a Santa Claus:)

progress.gif

We are on this sailing too. I was checking out the Falmouth excursions this morning to discuss with my daughter and tonight, it has all changed. They don't have any yet listed for Montego Bay....hopefully soon.

We are on this sailing too. I was checking out the Falmouth excursions this morning to discuss with my daughter and tonight, it has all changed. They don't have any yet listed for Montego Bay....hopefully soon.

We are on a February Navigator sailing that has been changed to Montego Bay. Our cruise isn't showing shore excursions either. However, if you go to the RCI site and look up excursions (without a particular cruise) you can see all of the excursions that are listed for Montego Bay. You obviously wont be able to book yet but this should at least give you an idea of options/pricing.

I called Crown and Anchor and the rep told me that RCI had decided not to go to Falmouth but only for a very, very brief amount of time and then they changed their mind. He read to me a report they received yesterday that states the ships will still dock in Falmouth, they will have have a walkway to take you to shuttle buses for a complimentary 20 minute ride to The Shoppes at Rose Hall. (Oh, Joy ) He continued to read that all passengers will be provided a copy of the letter with a caution to stay on the walkway for their safety.

So... I called back to try and talk to someone else and got a woman and she basically read me the same thing.

The woman had me on hold for quite some time because I needed to know if the "walkway" was accessible for a mobility scooter and when she got back on, she confirmed that there has been no change to the Falmouth iteneraries. There will be Reggae bands and locals selling their wares at the pier. The complimentary shuttle to the Shoppes at Rose Hall is optional. Private tours, taxi's, excursions etc will be at the end of the "walkway" where the shuttle buses are.

I guess we will find out more on Friday from the Navigator cruise.

20 minute shuttle bus ride??!! Where is this dock in the middle of no where????

It is good news. I would not want to be docking at a port that is not ready to handle the guests. I suggest calling RCI and ask them which port is replacing Falmouth.

You and I both know that, depending on how many times you call, the answers will range from Ocho Rios, Montego Bay, and.... there is no change, the ship is still going to Falmouth.

I agree about the uncertainty of Falmouth. Some of the news stories say the port area won't be fully operational til several months from now, even if ships do begin using the dock facilities. For our cruise, we were told that 'most likely' we would dock at Falmouth, walk through the unfinished port, take a 20 minute shuttle to Rose Hall shopping area. It all sounds iffy to us. Does anyone know anything about Rose Hall?

:eek:I'm on the Freedom of the Seas next week and it looks like they just changed the port in Jamaica from Falmouth to Ocho Rios. I'm thinking that I'm happy about that from what I'm reading. RCCL assures me that the tour I booked in Falmouth (through the ship) will be cancelled and refunded. I think it's a good idea to make Jamaica tours through the cruise lines until the Falmouth port is solid!

first day for Allure of the Seas dock at Falmouth will be March 16 2011 .. just talked to Rep. from Royal...:( i prefer Costa Maya so we can see ruin over there:p but he said there is a hope that they might change he told me to call back end of January thogh.

first day for Allure of the Seas dock at Falmouth will be March 16 2011 .. just talked to Rep. from Royal...:( i prefer Costa Maya so we can see ruin over there:p but he said there is a hope that they might change he told me to call back end of January thogh.

They told me the same thing this am that we are still scheduled to go there. If so that is great news for me at least.

link99

why is it good news for you if we are still going to Falmouth?:p

I want to go to Jamaica and I would like to see Falmouth. I know it is not desired by most on here but thats what I want so good news for me.

If it changes, then I will deal with Costa Maya. Did the Ruins there last year so if it is changed, we will just go into the town and explore along the ocean front.

If this date is going to change hopefully Royal will not wait till the last minute....after all, this sailing is supposed to celebrate the grand opening of the port.

I called our Royal Vacation planner and she said we are going to Costa Maya on the Allure March 13th sailing I asked if it was possible that they might change back if the port is ready, or if other ships start sailing in before us.. She said highly unlikely. They don't like keep changing the itenerary any more than necessary, and even if the port is ready and ship were going in... chances are we are not. Apparently my excursion to Appleton's has already been credited back to my credit card..... Oh well... there just another reason to book another cruise while we are on board in March!!

I called our Royal Vacation planner and she said we are going to Costa Maya on the Allure March 13th sailing I asked if it was possible that they might change back if the port is ready, or if other ships start sailing in before us.. She said highly unlikely. They don't like keep changing the itenerary any more than necessary, and even if the port is ready and ship were going in... chances are we are not. Apparently my excursion to Appleton's has already been credited back to my credit card..... Oh well... there just another reason to book another cruise while we are on board in March!!

I don't think you will be seeing any change again to that March 13th Allure sailing. That sailing was going to celebrate the grand opening of the port of Falmouth..... Once changed to Costa Maya, I do not believe they would consider moving that date back again to this sailing. Falmouth was simply no where ready yet and most all articles showed that.

If Falmouth is truly of the quality that is Williamsburg, VA, I would LOVE to go there. I find colonial Caribbean history to be extremely fascinating. I would soak it all in... Though I would look to make sure they were accurate about the reconstruction to not mix historical time-periods up. :)

Archived