Is Cunard as bad as it sounds

QuarryMan72

What I took from the review is that there are professional complainers out there. Maybe it's how they entertain themselves?

I did note that the author of the review observed that most of the 'professional' complainers were American. But I found most Americans on my travels to be extremely pleasant so I didn't really pay much attention to it. It was the reviewer's experience and they were describing it.

One thing I do appreciate about Americans is their sense of humour. The Americans at our table were very funny and excellent at telling anecdotes. Obviously though, not all Americans have a sense of humour.

Of course, complaints know no geographic bounds. I think that the reviewer noted these since they were likely LOUD Americans!:D

I have been on 4 cruises on 4 different lines.Star,Thomson.Celebrity and P&O.I have enjoyed all the cruises booked due to the destinations and timing.I choose to have a table for 2 so that I do not have to listen to the moaners,there have been a few niggles on the ships and and these niggles were dealt with,efficientlyand satisfactorily.I have met some great people due to arranging trips via this website.I am booked on the Q.V. in April and looking forward to it despite some dodgy reviews.

Well, the status quo on these boards is that any complaint about Cunard is unjustified...Cunard is always right. Have often seen complainers being branded as trolls:rolleyes:

Not recently! It has been very depressing reading these last days.

Well, the status quo on these boards is that any complaint about Cunard is unjustified...Cunard is always right. Have

often seen complainers being branded as trolls:rolleyes:

I really believe that most of the status quo on this forum do love Cunard. I am one of those. And I don't mind an occasional legitimate complaint, but the constant bombardment of the Cunard line that has taken place recently certainly is not justified. If people really find Cunard that uninviting, state the complaint, if they feel a need and move on. Certainly, with the amount of complaints that some have, they wouldn't be very happy boarding a Cunard ship again. So I feel that it would be best if they move on to a board where they can add something positive rather than fill this one up with all their negativity.

Is it not the object of a "review" to state "how things were" be they good ,bad or indifferent., that being so , it follows that there will be faults as well as good reports.

Also "pleeeeese" I beg you - remember, a cruise is not all of one piece.

My cabin steward on deck 4 will be quite different to the one on deck 5.

My table waiter first seating in the upstairs in Britannia will be very different to the waiter in the Princess Grill, or even second seating downstairs in the Britannia..

Even Pursers office,- if I go there at say 9.15a.m I will see a totally different staffer to the ones on duty at 9.15P.M , so the same complaint could be handled differently - for good or bad.

A poster can only report their own experience. and so 2 posters each reporting their own experience for the same cruise, could and probably will be quite different -given that each will be in different cabins, on diferent decks, eating in different dinng spaces,and interacting with different staff at all levels.

Hi Catherine,

When you go on RCI, try not to compare, but enjoy the ship for what it has to offer. The experiences are different, but there are many positives about both lines. If you do that I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Gail

Hi Gail, Thanks for the tip, would have liked to book Cunard again. It's the date that is suitable with RCI.

Will keep an open mind and just enjoy the week away.

Catherine

Hi Gail, Thanks for the tip, would have liked to book Cunard again. It's the date that is suitable with RCI.

Will keep an open mind and just enjoy the week away.

Catherine

We went about a year ago. We were missing Bermuda, so we booked a cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. There are things there that are very different from Cunard cruises, but nonetheless fun. I even tried in-line skating, although I found I couldn't stand up on the things, but I tried anyway and we had a bit of a laugh. The open mind helps. I have never been on a ship that I didn't like anyway. They are all so unique.:)

I take my first cruise on the QV this July, I have never cruised before on any ship. I therefore will have nothing to compare it with, this should prove an interesting experience as I can only go on how I find it, and how it meets or exceeds my expectations. I have an open mind, and if I am treated respecfully, as I treat others, there is no reason why it won't be a very positive experience. I intend to adhere to the dress code, smoke only when and where I am certain it will cause no offence, and treat fellow passengers and members of staff, whatever their jobs, with respect.;)

I take my first cruise on the QV this July, I have never cruised before on any ship. I therefore will have nothing to compare it with, this should prove an interesting experience as I can only go on how I find it, and how it meets or exceeds my expectations. I have an open mind, and if I am treated respecfully, as I treat others, there is no reason why it won't be a very positive experience. I intend to adhere to the dress code, smoke only when and where I am certain it will cause no offence, and treat fellow passengers and members of staff, whatever their jobs, with respect.;)

You will have a wonderful time. It is the most civil ship there is. I think you will love it!!!

Well,

I was thinking about a Cunard cruise some time next year but, having read the endless threads full of complaints on here I have decided firmly against it.

Nevertheless, I think it's still worth asking this question - is Cunard really as bad as it appears to be from the tenor of something like 90% of the posts on this board? To listen to most people you would swear that the ships were a cross between livestock carriers and penal transports. And yet, the main complainers appear to go back on Cunard time and time again.

Do they do this just so they can have a good moan when they get back? If they want Cunard to thrive (and perhaps improve) perhaps they should consider that their endless nit-picking is driving potential passengers away from Cunard by the boat load.

So come on - let's hear from you. I simply can't believe that things are as bad as the picture painted in this forum.

QM72

Its true that Cunard is not what it was - and that the nickel and diming seems to be increasing with the recent new charge to eat in the buffet area - but what annoys me is the way a passenger gets treated on board when he has a genuine problem.

Unless you are a Grills passenger - and maybe even then - you get stonewalled and nothing gets done to fix the problem.

In my time on Cunard I've had AC which didn't work for 2 weeks and had to sleep with the cabin door propped open the whole cruise - no hot water, no cold water, water all over the floor, and most recently on QM2 really cruddy water which they told me it was quite safe to drink.

Basically they don't give a monkey's about most of the passengers.

Start tipping extra heavily of course and it all suddenly changes. Its the longtime crew who are terrible snobs on Cunard as well as some of the passengers.

Yes I still travel on Cunard, as its the only transatlantic ship to operate a quick transit, but it has to be cheap for me to book it these days, you get better choice of menu and food on Princess ships than you do in steerage on Cunard.

Its true that Cunard is not what it was - and that the nickel and diming seems to be increasing with the recent new charge to eat in the buffet area - but what annoys me is the way a passenger gets treated on board when he has a genuine problem.

Unless you are a Grills passenger - and maybe even then - you get stonewalled and nothing gets done to fix the problem.

In my time on Cunard I've had AC which didn't work for 2 weeks and had to sleep with the cabin door propped open the whole cruise - no hot water, no cold water, water all over the floor, and most recently on QM2 really cruddy water which they told me it was quite safe to drink.

Basically they don't give a monkey's about most of the passengers.

Start tipping extra heavily of course and it all suddenly changes. Its the longtime crew who are terrible snobs on Cunard as well as some of the passengers.

Yes I still travel on Cunard, as its the only transatlantic ship to operate a quick transit, but it has to be cheap for me to book it these days, you get better choice of menu and food on Princess ships than you do in steerage on Cunard.

I have not had the good fortune to travel on Princess ships but I have been more than happy to travel Britannia class. Our last trip was September- 22 nights and it was perfect - better than 2009. Our table companions thought that the food on QM2 was much better than another line which they favoured. We had great waiters and a lovely steward.

I did think that some of the staff at the Purser's desk were not very friendly but then I did hear and see how they were treated by some passengers. Never did I meet any staff with a snobbish attitude nor any pasengers. I did meet several lovely folk from various places however.

That is I think where the problem lies. If its cheap then they will have to cut corners and you really, have no grounds for complaint. Much the same as flying budget airlines, you get what you pay for.

I have had cause to complain to Cunard in the past and received a satisfactory reply, but that was with regards to a shoreside problem, and certainly when I have been of cruises and had cause for complaint, I have always found the crew to be very accomodating in resolving any issues.

when and how is Cunard charging in the buffet ? News to me

I think this was a reference to the plan to levy a surcharge for specialty dining in the buffet on QE at night, not simply for eating in the buffet generally.

There's more about it on here somewhere but I can't dig it out at preent.

J

I think this was a reference to the plan to levy a surcharge for specialty dining in the buffet on QE at night, not simply for eating in the buffet generally.

There's more about it on here somewhere but I can't dig it out at preent.

J

Yes I think it is a fee of ten dollars for the specialty restaurants at the buffet. Not really a bad deal, really.

I know about the Todd English fee and some other specialty fees in the eves

but a buffet fee would be not a good idea.. something like AA is doing charging for meals and drinks(alcoholic)on board, what a mess!!

I don't believe that it is the buffet and yes, I agree, that wouldn't be a good idea at all. What AA are you talking about?

I've done a TA crossing and loved it. Going back for my honeymoon in July. I think a lot of people tend to forget, especially with TA's, that this is a crossing. A journey, a sailing. NOT a cruise. I know a lot of people who've sailed thinking it was just like going on NCL or Royal. It's different, it's an experience I recommend anyone to have at least once in their lives! You're crossing the Atlantic..not something too many can say they've done! ;)

I had the impression. Most passengers I meet on board are afraid to fly.

It's really a necessity today.

I suggest Cunard or another company have more ocean liners , not cruise ships,and sail transatlantic on a regular schedule

Oh that would be great! It is the ship I like, anyway--by that I mean the ocean on which they ride, the decks and the wonderful sea air. The rest is fine, but I would like it just as much if they were simply ferries.:)

Archived