Is Cunard as bad as it sounds

QuarryMan72

The great transatlantic ocean liners were really ferries, but it was a great way to travel. I sailed on Queen Mary,QE2 ,France .. it was a crossing with out all the hype. The Queen Mary was kind of austere,blah food and rocky .by todays standards

The Italian Line and American export Line taking the southern route was more cruise like and more fun

I think we need these ocean liners today

The great transatlantic ocean liners were really ferries, but it was a great way to travel. I sailed on Queen Mary,QE2 ,France .. it was a crossing with out all the hype. The Queen Mary was kind of austere,blah food and rocky .by todays standards

The Italian Line and American export Line taking the southern route was more cruise like and more fun

I think we need these ocean liners today

Yes, then I could go to England, my dream. I could get off, stay as long as I want, then take a returning ferry back home. The way it is now, it is near impossible to find one so that you can spend about a week. At least that I can find.

Yes, then I could go to England, my dream. I could get off, stay as long as I want, then take a returning ferry back home. The way it is now, it is near impossible to find one so that you can spend about a week. At least that I can find.

Hi The Real PM. You might want to verify this information with Cunard, but this may be what you're looking for: QM2 TA, 26 April NY to Southampton. You would disembark Monday 2May in Southampton..spend 8 nights in England, then embark QM2 Southampton on Tuesday 10 May for your return to Brooklyn.

Hope this helps.

Salacia

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to Jimsgirl!

Hamper received yesterday from Cunard re our delayed flights back to UK in December. Champagne and two bottles of wine plus all sorts of choccy goodies, chutneys etc. Has put paid to my post Christmas diet I can tell you!:)

[quote name='merseababe']Hi to Jimsgirl!

Hamper received yesterday from Cunard re our delayed flights back to UK in December. Champagne and two bottles of wine plus all sorts of choccy goodies, chutneys etc. Has put paid to my post Christmas diet I can tell you!:)[/QUOTE]

So pleased to read that Cunard sent you a hamper (was it from Fortnums?)

Will you be taking another cruise fairly soon, maybe one day we will meet over a "cuppa" in Sir Samuels. 33 years in the USA and I still cannot function without my cup of tea (NEVER coffee)

Regards

Lynn

[quote name='turquoise 6']I had the impression. Most passengers I meet on board are afraid to fly.
It's really a necessity today.
I suggest Cunard or another company have more ocean liners , not cruise ships,and sail transatlantic on a regular schedule[/QUOTE]

I try to avoid flying.

I'm thinking of going to Italy from the UK sometime this year. In my view, flying would spoil the whole thing. Whereas a train journey would be an adventure.

People tend to fly because they don't think of the alternatives.

WD

[quote name='William Dean']I try to avoid flying.

I'm thinking of going to Italy from the UK sometime this year. Whereas a train journey would be an adventure.
WD[/quote]

The overnight train from Paris to Venice is certainly an adventure:eek:.
But as long as you avoid this horror, I'm in full agreement.

Mary

[quote name='William Dean'] I try to avoid flying. [/quote]

Hi William

After my first Cunard crossing (QM2) and contrasting return flight I swore I'd never fly the Atlantic again.
The very next year I flew to/from New York, boarding QM2 to head for the Caribbean. So much for my resolution :o .

[quote name='William Dean'] I'm thinking of going to Italy from the UK sometime this year. In my view, flying would spoil the whole thing. Whereas a train journey would be an adventure. [/quote]

I agree. There is no pleasure in flying, a long rail trip across Europe really would reflect the old "getting there is half the fun".
And where better to start any journey across Europe than St Pancras Station?

[quote name='William Dean'] People tend to fly because they don't think of the alternatives. WD[/quote]

I had a race with friends from Edinburgh to Bristol a few years back, me by train (via London Termini), them with sleezyjet.
They beat me (as I knew they would) but by less than two hours.
I travelled 1st Class on both legs of my journey, by booking slightly further ahead than them I paid slightly less than the air fare.
I had a three course "silver service" luncheon. They had nothing.

I don't think we'll see another ship offering the traditional "liner" service, in addition to QM2, between Europe and America. It seems to me that Cunard can occasionally have trouble filling the one ship that does offer a regular (if summer only) alternative to the plane across the pond.

Very best wishes.

[quote name='pepperrn']Hi William

After my first Cunard crossing (QM2) and contrasting return flight I swore I'd never fly the Atlantic again.[/quote]

I make the same resolution every time.......

[quote]I agree. There is no pleasure in flying, a long rail trip across Europe really would reflect the old "getting there is half the fun".
And where better to start any journey across Europe than St Pancras Station?[/quote]

Indeed. The restoration has been done wonderfully. And that it is our regular London terminus certainly helps! If only the sleeper were better.....

WD

[quote name='William Dean']I make the same resolution every time.......

Indeed. The restoration has been done wonderfully. And that it is our regular London terminus certainly helps! If only the sleeper were better.....

WD[/quote]

The French SNCF sleepers are very good, not sure who else goes from Paris to Venice other than VSOE but this site will tell you all that you need to know. [COLOR=#0e774a][URL="http://www.seat61.com/"]www.[B]seat61[/B].com/[/URL][/COLOR]

[quote name='capnpugwash']The French SNCF sleepers are very good, not sure who else goes from Paris to Venice other than VSOE but this site will tell you all that you need to know. [COLOR=#0e774a][URL="http://www.seat61.com/"]www.[B]seat61[/B].com/[/URL][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

That's one of my favorite web sites, which I have used quite extensively. I've never been to Venice but have used most of Mark Smith's Venice option 5 (as far as Munich), on my way to Istanbul. At least on my voyage, Cunard provided a transfer to St Pancras.

Roy

[quote name='capnpugwash']not sure who else goes from Paris to Venice other than VSOE but this site will tell you all that you need to know. [COLOR=#0e774a][URL="http://www.seat61.com/"]www.[B]seat61[/B].com/[/COLOR][/URL][/quote]

It's the Artesia. I've successfully managed to block the worst of the memories, but we did it last year and it was truly appalling: only recommended if one is young, adaptable, and accustomed to squalor:eek:.

Mary

[COLOR=blue][quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Of course, complaints know no geographic bounds. I think that the reviewer noted these since they were likely LOUD Americans!:D[/quote][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Are all Brits quiet, mannerly and serene models of deportment? If so we loud brash Americans can learn alot from your cultured and refined perfectionism.[/COLOR]

[quote name='pattyfrann']

[COLOR=blue]Are all Brits quiet, mannerly and serene models of deportment? If so we loud brash Americans can learn alot from your cultured and refined perfectionism.[/COLOR][/quote]

I think you will find that the poster you quote is from your side of the Atlantic. There's a clue in his boardname.

J

[quote name='pattyfrann'][COLOR=blue][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue]Are all Brits quiet, mannerly and serene models of deportment? If so we loud brash Americans can learn alot from your cultured and refined perfectionism.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
By all means, please attend a Rugby game, Politeness abounds there!

[quote name='keithm']By all means, please attend a Rugby game, Politeness abounds there![/quote]

Just to be clear, I assume you are talking about the 13 a-side code - a game for thugs, ruffians, psychos, serial killers, and street-crazies.

Rugby [B]Union[/B], on the other hand, is a balletic spectacle played by refined gentelmen in a polite and sportsmanlike fashion. You just need to watch Leicester in action to see what I mean.

:D:D:D

J

[quote name='Salacia'][I]Question Time in the House[/I] is my personal favo(u)rite. :D[/quote]

There's no question time in [B]my [/B]house. All orders, commands, requests and demands are obeyed instantly, effectively and without question or demur. In my opinion that's the way all marital arrangements should work. Although, I have to confess, that I may have made an early mistake in the role assignments.

Still, all the running around keeps me active and as long as I do what I'm told I get a relatively quiet life. :eek:

J

Archived