Car Rental from LAX to SAN

BrendaW

Happy New Year everyone!

We are first time cruisers and I am looking for tips about where to rent a car. Are there rental places close to, but not at the airport, that would be cheaper? We are a family of 6. Our ship was the 'Splendor' (the one that had the fire) so they moved our cruise to the 'Spirit'. The unfortunate thing is we sail out of San Diego now and couldn't get our flights changed, so we think renting a car would be better than Amtrak or a shuttle. We have a 23 month old and a 5 year old plus 2 grandmas. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I am not sure that Hotwire and/or Priceline allow pick up and drop off at a different location??

Also be aware that the prices do not include insurance.

In the USA many of our credit cards and personal auto insurance policies cover what is needed for a rental car but I do not know if this holds true for Canadians. It does NOT hold true for those from the UK.

As you know, there is a drop off fee when you rent a car in one city and drop it off in another. Here is a link to Enterprise http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/home.do . They usually have transportation at LAX to their lot. I ran a quote for a mini-van (picked a date out of my head). . . it came out to approx. $150. Hope this helps.

Suggest you check with your Cruise Line.

You may be able to purchase Transfers for

your family. That would save you the

challenge of driving in the traffic in that area.

Alternative: see if you (or someone here)

can provide you with a link to your arrival

airport. I think that airport would have

a shuttle to your cruise port city.

Cruise transfers are notoriously expensive!

Shuttles between LAX and San Diego are ALSO a lot of money since it is a 2 hour drive with no traffic.

In this particular location, renting a car for a family often becomes the least expensive way to go.

We will be renting a mini van at LAX and driving to San Diego after our Panama Canal Cruise (ends on Feb. 8). The cost of the van is $138 for three days. Collision insurance is an additional $36. Just google car rentals at LAX and you'll be able to find the place. I don't think I'm permitted to put the address out here.

Archived