St. Petersburg at night?

Hi everyone! My new hubby and I are taking a Baltic cruise on the Constellation in June for our honeymoon. I'm doing preliminary research now and I'm hoping for some advice.

It seems the organized tours to St. P. all end early -- 5 p.m.-ish. Since it's nearly endless daylight in Russia in June, we'd love to see the city in the evening. I'm guessing we need a visa to do this on our own, since even if we book a two-day tour, we won't be on it (with a guide) at the time. Is that correct?

Also, anyone been in St. P. at night? Is it safe? What's nightlife like? Will we be OK getting around on our own speaking only English?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! So excited for this trip of a lifetime!

Hi everyone! My new hubby and I are taking a Baltic cruise on the Constellation in June for our honeymoon. I'm doing preliminary research now and I'm hoping for some advice.

It seems the organized tours to St. P. all end early -- 5 p.m.-ish. Since it's nearly endless daylight in Russia in June, we'd love to see the city in the evening. I'm guessing we need a visa to do this on our own, since even if we book a two-day tour, we won't be on it (with a guide) at the time. Is that correct?

Also, anyone been in St. P. at night? Is it safe? What's nightlife like? Will we be OK getting around on our own speaking only English?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! So excited for this trip of a lifetime!

Hi and congrats on your wedding. And I thought only us old foggies toured the Baltics. Just kidding of course. You will simple love the Baltics. so much history and adventure and being younger, you will have no trouble doing most of the ports on your own. They are very easy.

To answer some of your questions, yes you will need a visa to get off the ship anytime, night, day whatever, if you don't have a private tour booked, (recommended)or do a ship's excursion (not recommended). There have been several people who have posted here that have done St Petersburg on their own. It is not easy as English is not a popular language there and almost to a one, every sign is in Russian. It would be very hard to maneuver the city on your own.

That said, several of the independent tour companies offer things to do in the evening. Most offer either the ballet, or a Russian folk show. To be honest, many of us figured we would be tired after a long day and another long day to follow so we forfeited any evening tours to gather ourselves and to get ready for the next day. But that is to say no one does anything. Those that do venture out, have a great time.

I cannot speak for any of the tour companies, but if you wish to do something like 'clubbing' if there is such a thing in St Petersburg, mention it to several of the tour comapnies and see what type of response you get. They are so out to please all who come to their city, that some might have suggestions for you.

If you haven't booked a tour, go to your roll call for your ship and see what's doing. contact several of the tour companies and get several quotes and agenda's. Do NOT just settle on one because some one told you they were great. They are all GREAT, but some may cater to what you want to do, more than others.

Here are a few pix of St Petersburg, just to get you enjoying this marvelous city

Catherine's Palace and gardens

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe714.jpg

Peterhoff, with all the fountains alive

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

Peterhof, looking from the porch level out towards the Sea of Finland

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

Church of the Spilled Blood

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe764.jpg

If you stay on the ship at night, here is St Peterburg at night

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe831.jpg

And a short video in St Petersburg best Museum the Hermitage. They have magnificent rooms with so many major works of art

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1037.mp4

Please feel free to ask anything that comes to mind

Cheers

Len

Hi "St. Petersburg at night" ~ welcome to Cruise Critic and Congratulations on your wedding and up-coming honeymoon!!

Len's advice is great - but we were a couple/group who did stay in St. Pete after our tour and go to the FolkLore Show. We got back to the ship about 9:30pm. It was a good time for us but I think we might be just a bit older - OK, much older since Anniversary #48 is coming up! (But, believe me, I was married at 5!!)

Seriously, our group of 8 had a two-day tour with SPB Tour Company. First day was long - 7am meeting with tour guide & driver. The day ended about 5:30pm but we had elected to go right to the FolkLore Show to see the early show. I had thought we'd be "dead" from the long day but it wasn't a stressful day - since we had the tour guide and driver we just sat and enjoyed the ride from place to place not having to find anyplace. And the tour guide was wonderful giving us as much info/history as we wanted.

I would "second" Len's suggestion about contacting a number of tour companies and asking what they can provide in the evening - while we enjoyed the Show you are probably looking for something more exciting! Ask lots of questions and also check on the internet yourself to see what's available. Your Roll Call should also be helpful - you might be able to form a group who are also interested in an evening activity. Would keep the cost reasonable. (Our group was formed through the roll call.)

Whatever you decide - have a fabulous cruise!!

do learn SOME russian,,,,we thought we had,,,,took subway,,,got lost,,,found cab,,,and tried to get him to take us to ship,,,,good luck,,,need exact directions,address,etc...in RUSSIAN,,,,did end up back at 11pm,,,but really scary and too much of a hassle,,,do book some type of tour,,,never did "hit the clubs or even find the restaurant"""...sorry,,,but learn from our mistakes.....ps..congrats on wedding...by the way,,,LOVED St.Petersburg,,,when on tour.....:D

In addition to what Len and others have shared, here's my take or reactions.

First, YES, the various private tour people will and can arrange things in the evenings. Things don't stop at 5 pm!

Second, there are some options that work very well in the late afternoon and early evening period. Both of the spectacular cathedrals are open until about 7 pm or so. You can also do a canal boat tour that can be nice and relaxing in the early evening.

Third, for most of us visiting St. Petersburg in the summer, it will not be getting dark until 9-10 pm or so. That gives lots of evening flexibility.

Many of the standard offerings by many tour companies are focused in that 10 am to 5 pm period. That because many customers don't PUSH to be more creative and inventive. They can and will do more. Just ask. It might cost a little more, but it's all possible.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,250 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

It doesn't get dark in St. Petersburg in June at all, just dusky for a few hours after midnight. There are lots of people walking along Nevsky prospect and Neva embankments late at night. The usual night activities arranged by tour companies are, of course, ballet and folk show. Nikolaevsky palace offers two performances of a folk show - at 7.30 pm and at 9 pm. There is an option of having a boat ride either late in the evening to look at the magnificent architecture from a different angle, or after midnight - to look at the bridges being opened (a fantastic view with virtually hundreds of boats speeding along the Neva simultaneously in the same direction). Some of the museums (St. Isaac's cathedral, the Church-on-Spilt Blood) open again after 7 pm for a couple of hours. Furthermore, St. Isaac's cathedral opens its colonnade again in the evening for those who want to climb up half the height of the cathedral and have a night view of the historical center of the city.

Hi, I am doing research for my cruise too, and I noticed that SPB tours has a vodka and river cruise and shopping night-time excursion. They advertise here on CC and if you go to their page, shore excursions, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to night options.I was actually going to ask if anyone had done this excursion.

Thank you everyone for your thorough replies and your congrats on our wedding! We're not early 20s honeymooners -- rather mid 30s -- so it's not necessarily clubbing we're looking for -- more just a local pub or street cafe or something like that where we can people watch over some food and drinks (thanks pete for the tip on the vodka tour!). All these tips are really great -- we'll probably be exhausted after a full day of sightseeing too!

Cheers!

All these tips are really great -- we'll probably be exhausted after a full day of sightseeing too! Cheers!

You have correctly and wisely noted the "CHALLENGE" for doing too much, too late in St. Petersburg. You'll be tired from your first day there and want to be fresh for the second great there in this super city. On a canal boat option, it does give you an interesting and different angle to this charming city. Below are three visual samples for what you might see on such a trip. Keep research, planning and thinking. It will be a wonderful trip.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 28,400 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the canal boat, this is a view of an original palace built by Peter in St. Petersburg:

StPHousePeter.jpg

A sampling of the many buildings and bridges you will see on the canal boat tour in St. Petersburg.:

StPCanalSights.jpg

An example of bridge details you will see on the canal tour:

StPBridgeDetail.jpg

Wandering down the Nevsky Prospect or an evening canal boat ride were both popular things to do when I spent four days in St. Petersburg in June 2007. Our hotel was very centrally located just off the Nevsky Prospect, and we had a grand time walking around in the odd daylight of 11 PM. Definitely not dangerous, although there were no open container laws so do not be surprised to see a great many discarded liquor bottles littering the streets.

I know that SPB Tours offers a night canal excursion with booze, so I assume that many of the other private tour companies offer this alternative as well.

We were there this past June with SPB tours leading the way. On our first night we did a canal cruise and vodka tasting. We were back at the cruise ship at about 5 had dinner and left again at 7. On our second night we went to the Mikhailovsky Opera to see Eugene Onegin. We stayed in Saint Petersburg and did not return to the ship until after the performance. SPB arranged with our driver and tour guide to find us a restaurant near the opera that spoke English or had an English Language menu, mission accomplished. After the opera our SPB driver was waiting for us to take us back to the cruise ship.

So check with SPB as they do have several night time options in Saint Petersburg.

Hi, I am doing research for my cruise too, and I noticed that SPB tours has a vodka and river cruise and shopping night-time excursion. They advertise here on CC and if you go to their page, shore excursions, then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to night options.I was actually going to ask if anyone had done this excursion.

yes, we did this excursion although the terrible weather meant those who wanted to shop (we're not shoppers so not us) missed out. we had a great night despite the rain

pete

Archived