NCL Pearl Beer Question

2FLGuys

So I'm new to NCL but not new to cruising. I am so ready for the NCL experience one because I am a huge foodie and look forward to the many restaurant options but as well because they seem to have "EVERYTHING" aboard their ships.

Of honorable mention is their Beer and Whiskey Bar aboard the Pearl... As a huge fan of Craft and Microbrews I am hoping that this "beer bar" has some unique brewskis. Any insight into the Pearl's Beer Bar?

JR

It will be all of the usual adjunct-lager suspects. With Fransikaner wheat thrown in.

If you are lucky, you can find ONE crafty beer from a brewery near the ship's base port.

Find the psuedo-English PUB for the best options for a drinkable beer.

The beer selection is kinda lacking on all the cruises I've been on. With all the micro breweries around now, I wish they would include more. About as exotic as I've seen was an Alaska lager, Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout, Newcastle Ale, and an occasional other, but seldom all on the same cruise. I realize Bud and Miller is still the mainstay of "out by the pool" beer drinkers, but the beer world is changing for an increasing number of other beer drinkers....as is tequila drinking.

So I'm new to NCL but not new to cruising. I am so ready for the NCL experience one because I am a huge foodie and look forward to the many restaurant options but as well because they seem to have "EVERYTHING" aboard their ships.

Of honorable mention is their Beer and Whiskey Bar aboard the Pearl... As a huge fan of Craft and Microbrews I am hoping that this "beer bar" has some unique brewskis. Any insight into the Pearl's Beer Bar?

JR

What Pearl sailing are you on man?

so funny that this question was asked today becaue while I was at the gym this morning I was planning on asking this very same question. Although I too love micro brews and prefer them over anything, I was wondering what kind of I guess 'poolside" beers are available on the Pearl? RCL has Amstel Light. Does NCL have Amstel light?

catspajamasfan: We will be traveling on Captain Jack's Black Pearl ;) LOL.

Just kidding we are on NCL Pearl Western Caribbean sailing on January 30th.

I wouldn't expect a great beer selection pool side but when I noticed the "Maltings Beer & Whiskey" Bar onboard I must admit I got a little excited. I'm hoping that they have atleast a few options outside of your typical domestics and imports. I thought I heard they actually offer beer on draft at their pub? Is that correct?

Mommy: What can I say great minds think alike. I would hope that there is at least a standard light import for poolside drinking. Does anyone have any insight into this?

luddite: Thanks again for the insight. No Pearl Beer for me, I was hoping for a nice belgium style, maybe a stout or my new favorite Drifter Pale Ale. With Miami being our home port I am not expecting much for a local brewery's craft beer.

roger: You would think that the cruises would take advantage of some of the more recent drinking trends. I hope for the best...

I wouldn't expect a great beer selection pool side but when I noticed the "Maltings Beer & Whiskey" Bar onboard I must admit I got a little excited. I'm hoping that they have atleast a few options outside of your typical domestics and imports. I thought I heard they actually offer beer on draft at their pub? Is that correct?

Mommy: What can I say great minds think alike. I would hope that there is at least a standard light import for poolside drinking. Does anyone have any insight into this?

luddite: Thanks again for the insight. No Pearl Beer for me, I was hoping for a nice belgium style, maybe a stout or my new favorite Drifter Pale Ale. With Miami being our home port I am not expecting much for a local brewery's craft beer.

roger: You would think that the cruises would take advantage of some of the more recent drinking trends. I hope for the best...

There should be a tap. It won't be a BUNCH of taps and only one will have anything other than the usual swill. The Dawn had Murphy's Stout a couple of years ago. The Spirit only had swill last year. Never seen a Belgian on a ship. A dopplebock, Guinness foreign Extra were the most adventurous. We did get Coal Porter one trip out of Houston. It was left over from the northern east coast run they had just finished. I bought all they had.

Beer geeks and cruising aren't a good fit. Ya gotta roll with the waves.

Ahh, have fun...we'll be on the Pearl about a month later...we're doing Pearl Western Caribbean leaving on 2/27. I hope you have a great time!

JR

2FL The microbrew question on NCL tweeked my interests as well. A Sierra Nevada man myself, a good pale can't be beat. I beginning to wonder what's a man to do for beer? I recently found out they serve Pepsi products on the Pearl and that blows the heck out of a Rum and Coke. And now you are changing my beer drinking!!! This will be my first NCL and I'm beginning to wonder now, did I make a rash decision?

I can bring Coke on the ship....but a microbrew could be tough.

So I found this review and became a little hopeful about the beer situation. Unfortunately this is from 2007 do we know if things have changed at all?

Review:

The highlight, though, is right next door, at Bar Central's Maltings Beer & Whiskey Bar, which along with the similar bars on Norwegian Jewel and Pride of Hawai'i rank as the absolute, number-one beer and whiskey bars at sea today. Designed with comfortable leather chairs and a faux still for ambience, it offers a menu of 46 brews, a small selection of meads, 23 single-malt Scotches, 7 blended Scotches, 9 Irish Whiskeys, 7 Canadian whiskeys, 17 American bourbons and a partridge in a pear tree. The beer menu includes standouts like Coopers Stout, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Sam Adams Cream Stout and Pete's Wicked Honey Wheat, while the whiskey menu won my heart by including George Dickel No. 12. Now that's taste.

I don't know if this is allowed but I felt it only appropriate to reference...

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/articles/4163.html#ixzz1AYdy6aMt

I have seen a Samual Smith Nut Brown Ale on a cruise. I don't consider Sam Adams, not to be confused with Samual Smith, a super beer however, although the Boston Lager is always available on the ships it seems. I drank a lot of Sam Adams when I first crossed over to the "dark side" from Miller Lite. However, at the moment, their Latitude 48 IPA isn't bad at all. Hope they keep it more than just seasonal. Some IPA's would be good for NCL to stock, any kind. Serra Nevada is a good brand. I have a 6 pack of their Tumbler at the moment and like their Porter too. NCL??? I would think that each NCL home port could have a distributor of some regional micro brews ready and willing to stock the ship on turn around day. NCL??? I might add, for the spirits drinkers, the good stuff ain't cheap. I was going to have a shot of Don Julio 1942 just to see how it is. How it was was about $12 a shot. Fortunately, they were out of it and I had almost 3 beers instead.

So did I read somewhere that when you buy a bucket they give you a sixth bottle "free" and if so can anyone tell me just how much that bucket of Bud Light is going to set me back?

I believe a bucket a couple of months ago onm the Sun was about $28 including the 15% gratuity added on. A beer is normally about $4.95 a bottle plus 15%. The good thing about Buds if you want them, is that they were in the 16 ounce aluminum bottles. That means your are actually getting the equal of 8 12 ounce bottles...and that means you are down to about $3.50 a bottle if you think like that. Some ships charge a $5 deposit on the bucket refundable when you turn it in sometime. The Sun in Nov. didn't charge a deposit.

Fortunately for beer drinkers, you can take beer onboard. Many will argue that you can't, or that it is immoral, but it has never been a problem for me. They will not blink an eye if you take a six pack or less on board at embarkation or in port. I just finished a cruise and took beer on board at every port. I love to sample the local beers. If you are worried about hiding it and getting caught and shamed, don't worry. I even took a six pack on board in a clear plastic bag. No questions. No worries. Cheers.

Fortunately for beer drinkers, you can take beer onboard. Many will argue that you can't, or that it is immoral, but it has never been a problem for me. They will not blink an eye if you take a six pack or less on board at embarkation or in port. I just finished a cruise and took beer on board at every port. I love to sample the local beers. If you are worried about hiding it and getting caught and shamed, don't worry. I even took a six pack on board in a clear plastic bag. No questions. No worries. Cheers.

Unless they truly though it was water or soft drinks, you've just been lucky in my opinion. I once made it with a bottle of tequila that I had forgotten, but just lucky.

I took a few bottles back onto the Pearl from Puerto Limon (Costa Rica) on our last trip.

It was her maiden season and the Maltings bar hadn't gotten round to craft brews then, and indeed the draught beer system had failed, leaving only the pool bar to serve draught beer.

Unless they truly though it was water or soft drinks, you've just been lucky in my opinion. I once made it with a bottle of tequila that I had forgotten, but just lucky.

Not just luck. I have carried beer onboard approximately 16 times. The only time I was asked anything was on the Gem. The screener asked if that was beer. I said yes. He then asked the guy at the confiscation table how many beers each pax was allowed. The answer was six, which was how many I had. They let me take the beer aboard.

Not just luck. I have carried beer onboard approximately 16 times. The only time I was asked anything was on the Gem. The screener asked if that was beer. I said yes. He then asked the guy at the confiscation table how many beers each pax was allowed. The answer was six, which was how many I had. They let me take the beer aboard.

Great to know thanks for the insight! Basically the general guide seems to be don't go crazy trying to bring a case onboard.

Thanks. I'll certainly give it a try next cruise. All that can happen is I have to pick it up from them the last morning.

So I found this review and became a little hopeful about the beer situation. Unfortunately this is from 2007 do we know if things have changed at all?

Review:

The highlight, though, is right next door, at Bar Central's Maltings Beer & Whiskey Bar, which along with the similar bars on Norwegian Jewel and Pride of Hawai'i rank as the absolute, number-one beer and whiskey bars at sea today. Designed with comfortable leather chairs and a faux still for ambience, it offers a menu of 46 brews, a small selection of meads, 23 single-malt Scotches, 7 blended Scotches, 9 Irish Whiskeys, 7 Canadian whiskeys, 17 American bourbons and a partridge in a pear tree. The beer menu includes standouts like Coopers Stout, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Sam Adams Cream Stout and Pete's Wicked Honey Wheat, while the whiskey menu won my heart by including George Dickel No. 12. Now that's taste.

I don't know if this is allowed but I felt it only appropriate to reference...

Read more: http://www.frommers.com/articles/4163.html#ixzz1AYdy6aMt

Now that is what I'm talkin about for beers!!!!

Good to know, as we too like local beers and if we find something good then at least we know we can bring it on board. Back in 2000 for a cruise we were in St. Martin and brought back on board a huge bag of beer with bo problems but I thought that was just because it was pre 9/11

Archived