Global Travel Solutions

kelly4126

Has anyone received a notice of a free cruise through Global Travel Solutions? I received one. I called and would have to listen to a 90 minute presentation. I have listened to timeshare ones before and wouldn't mind listening to this one if there really is a free cruise. Anyone do this? Is it worth checking into?

Thanks,

Kelly

Has anyone received a notice of a free cruise through Global Travel Solutions? I received one. I called and would have to listen to a 90 minute presentation. I have listened to timeshare ones before and wouldn't mind listening to this one if there really is a free cruise. Anyone do this? Is it worth checking into?

Thanks,

Kelly

Check out this article I just posted

Thanks,

Kelly

There's a recent thread ( http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1334957 )on this subject - read the post form firefly that best describes these offerings. ken

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Yes I went. My curiosity got the best of me and I packed the misses and myself off to the 90 minute presentation in NJ. Here’s the scoop. Global is not a travel company. They are the marketing firm for I believe the guy said "RSI" travel services. Here’s the actual website of what you are buying. http://www.wholesaletravelconnection.com/ For $9999 you get lifetime membership in a travel club. If purchased, the day of presentation the 300 dollar initiation fee is waived. However there is a 29.99 dollar per month fee charged. They have a $4999 package for 5 years and then it ends. We were then offered the platinum package which sells for 20 grand at 12999 dollars. All include a unlimited or 3000/6000 point credit to be used on each vacation. So say you book a cruise and the actual cost is 1000 pp. Some of the credit but not all maybe applied to the cost reducing it. They had a lot of timeshare examples where the weekly rates when used with your points made the offer seem enticing. But they never gave time frames. They said you could stay in a 2 bedroom unit in Hawaii for say 400 per week but never said winter, summer spring fall. After the general presentation they bring you into a room where the salesman tries to close the deal.

So after his disappointment in a non sale we got our certificate for 2 free flights and a 7 day cruise. The salesmen told us that the cruise deal wasn’t that good but the flight deal is. Basically you sent in 25 bucks for the flight and they send you a coupon. The cruise is a 99 dollar fee along with many restrictions.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the skinny on the 90 minute presentation....I asked if I had to pay for anything up front, he said no. (phone conv) I have an appointment, but I doubt I'm going to be able to make it. Let me know if the Air coupon works out ok....

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Ok Yes I went. My curiosity got the best of me and I packed the misses and myself off to the 90 minute presentation in NJ. Here’s the scoop. Global is not a travel company. They are the marketing firm for I believe the guy said "RSI" travel services. Here’s the actual website of what you are buying. http://www.wholesaletravelconnection.com/ For $9999 you get lifetime membership in a travel club. If purchased, the day of presentation the 300 dollar initiation fee is waived. However there is a 29.99 dollar per month fee charged. They have a $4999 package for 5 years and then it ends. We were then offered the platinum package which sells for 20 grand at 12999 dollars. All include a unlimited or 3000/6000 point credit to be used on each vacation. So say you book a cruise and the actual cost is 1000 pp. Some of the credit but not all maybe applied to the cost reducing it. They had a lot of timeshare examples where the weekly rates when used with your points made the offer seem enticing. But they never gave time frames. They said you could stay in a 2 bedroom unit in Hawaii for say 400 per week but never said winter, summer spring fall. After the general presentation they bring you into a room where the salesman tries to close the deal.

So after his disappointment in a non sale we got our certificate for 2 free flights and a 7 day cruise. The salesmen told us that the cruise deal wasn’t that good but the flight deal is. Basically you sent in 25 bucks for the flight and they send you a coupon. The cruise is a 99 dollar fee along with many restrictions.

I'm glad I tossed my card out, but I looked up the name, and just as I thought - they are selling future vacations, but they want a lot of money NOW! A timeshare by any other name... I can't believe the arrogance that they have, in thinking that they have the sales sharks with enough aggression to pull that much money out of someone in advance for what amounts to promises of future years of vacations. They make Amway or even used car salesmen look like amateurs.

I sat through one sales presentation like that - back in the 80s, on our honeymoon! That one WAS timeshares, and they had only promised a case of pineapples and a free rental car day! They used classic cult tactics, had us clapping in rhythm like it was a pep rally, applauding each presenter that had the same incredible enthusiasm and subsequent crestfallen reaction to us NOT wanting to sign away 20 Gs! I'm looking at the guy that had the misfortune of being assigned as our closer - the desperation in his eyes - they must really put the screws to the guys that don't reel in the suckers in great enough number. It got so I was getting so angry that my "no" - my three or four dozen "no"'s were totally disregarded - that the concept of having just been married, having NO money and shaky credit standing, not wanting to commit to vacations when this kind of money should go toward landing a house - all that was beside the point to them. They stiffed us on the case of pineapples - the voucher was worthless at the departing gate where the cases were supposed to be. A colossal waste of time predicated on substantial deception.

I can't believe this kind of thing can even be successful in these economic times. It had crossed my mind then, and did again when I got this card, that the whole thing could very easily be an elaborate ponzi scheme, and after getting enough cash, even if it takes a few years, they can fold it all up and be completely unreachable and untraceable. Lifetime membership - are they going to be around next month? To expect folks to place that much faith in their promises is a gigantic leap of faith of their own. But it must be working to some extent.

I'm glad I tossed my card out, but I looked up the name, and just as I thought - they are selling future vacations, but they want a lot of money NOW! A timeshare by any other name... I can't believe the arrogance that they have, in thinking that they have the sales sharks with enough aggression to pull that much money out of someone in advance for what amounts to promises of future years of vacations. They make Amway or even used car salesmen look like amateurs.

I sat through one sales presentation like that - back in the 80s, on our honeymoon! That one WAS timeshares, and they had only promised a case of pineapples and a free rental car day! They used classic cult tactics, had us clapping in rhythm like it was a pep rally, applauding each presenter that had the same incredible enthusiasm and subsequent crestfallen reaction to us NOT wanting to sign away 20 Gs! I'm looking at the guy that had the misfortune of being assigned as our closer - the desperation in his eyes - they must really put the screws to the guys that don't reel in the suckers in great enough number. It got so I was getting so angry that my "no" - my three or four dozen "no"'s were totally disregarded - that the concept of having just been married, having NO money and shaky credit standing, not wanting to commit to vacations when this kind of money should go toward landing a house - all that was beside the point to them. They stiffed us on the case of pineapples - the voucher was worthless at the departing gate where the cases were supposed to be. A colossal waste of time predicated on substantial deception.

I can't believe this kind of thing can even be successful in these economic times. It had crossed my mind then, and did again when I got this card, that the whole thing could very easily be an elaborate ponzi scheme, and after getting enough cash, even if it takes a few years, they can fold it all up and be completely unreachable and untraceable. Lifetime membership - are they going to be around next month? To expect folks to place that much faith in their promises is a gigantic leap of faith of their own. But it must be working to some extent.

DH loves these things. Last time in HI we went because Marriott was offering 15,000 points. He asked this question, "Since I will be owning a portion of a room how much of a property tax deduction should I report?" They brought out the BIG BOOK and couldn't find the answer in their fine print.:D

• 5 months later...

I've been looking through all the comments about this travel agency Global Travel Solutions and i'm so much surprised how little of it is actually true. Of course they do try to sell you something, why else would they invite you to listen to their presentation. We came down there with my husband about half a year ago. Everybody was extremely nice and though the whole thing seemed suspicious in the beginning, we ended up getting a trial 5 year package and we just love it so far. We also referred some friends to come down there and even though they didn't buy anything we got a little cash reward and they still got their cruise and airline tickets for coming in. Gifts are not absolutely free they warned us we were responsible for the fees and port charges which was about 50$ pp. I know there are a lot of scams out there but this is not one of them.

We sat through this same vacation club presentation recently that promised a free cruise through Global Travel. We got the hard sell at the end, but kept saying no. We got our certificate in the mail a couple weeks ago.

Here's where they get you (after reading the fine print). First, you send in this certificate with your deposit ($100 pp). Then, they have 90 days to send you a "planning form" where you choose three dates. Your three dates must be a minimum of 90 days out from when you send the form back. That takes you about six months (April) from now.

Reading the fine print, the offer is only good on select sailing from September through February. The rest of the months, you can book a rate at 50% off the published brochure rates (not ES or any other discount rate). Our offer (that we just got) expires August 31, 2012. Travel has to take place by that date. So, because of their restricted dates, there would be no way for us to get the "free" cruise. We would have to book one at 50% off the published brochure rates.

Oh, and the "free" cabin is the lowest cabin (the bunk bed cabin on the bottom deck). Of course you can pay more to upgrade to a cabin where you could sleep with your spouse. :D

Well, we learned our lesson. But they did give us $20 cash for gas money and a $50 restaurant card. So, no big deal. But definitely no free cruise!

We have been with Global for years: that being said we got a very good deal maybe 12 years ago. We have taken 4 weeks a year in a condo most of the time in Fl. infact we liked it so

well down here we bought a place & moved in from the Global condo 2 years ago this mth. & haven't used it since like the ol'man says why where would we go & haven't had to pay the fee.

The free cruise wasn't that great a deal but it was our first Carnival cruise of many. When we joined it was $55.00 a week for the condo & $280.00 a year.

Char

I've read a few things about this company in several blogs. I find it a bit suspicious that someone making their first post ever, is saying positive things on a thread that has nothing written on it since May.

funny i was thinking the same thing. $50 for taxes and fees?

Bill

• 4 months later...

Archived