Anyone know what time flights from West coast arrive in Auckland?

clr0806

We will be sailing on the Volendam and I noticed the sip does not leave port until 11:59 so I am wondering if we will be able to get off after boarding to see some sights? Do they even allow you off and at the port?

Yes, you can get off the ship again after boarding, as long as you're back by the required time. That will vary with the port.

As far the question in your thread title, that will depend on what time the flight leaves the US. The airline schedule should tell you ETD and ETA.

My flight to Auckland (not booked through HAL) leaves LAX at 11:30 at night, and arrives in Auckland two days later at 9:50 AM.

I would never consider arriving the day of boarding! Not with that long, and exhausting, a flight.

However, if you do arrive the day of sailing, you would check in, then are free to come and go as you like until an all-aboard time. Can't guess what that time will be on my sailing, but I would want to be on board at least a full hour before sail-away.

My flight to Auckland (not booked through HAL) leaves LAX at 11:30 at night, and arrives in Auckland two days later at 9:50 AM.

I would never consider arriving the day of boarding! Not with that long, and exhausting, a flight.

However, if you do arrive the day of sailing, you would check in, then are free to come and go as you like until an all-aboard time. Can't guess what that time will be on my sailing, but I would want to be on board at least a full hour before sail-away.

I went back and forth on the arrival time but we are limited in time and are planning 3 nights in Sydney before we fly home. I can't wait for retirement! Since the cruise has more ports in New Zealand it seemed like the best way to both areas.

Do yourself a favor and take Ruth's advice.

Arriving on the departure day after a long flight is very tough, even if all goes well. After arriving, when you are completely wiped out, you still need to go through immigration, customs, etc and then get to the ship, oh did I mention the Jet lag? Not to mention the stress if the flights are delayed for some reason.

Better to arrive early, enjoy the city for a day or two and then board. When Mrs Banjo & I cruised from NZ we arrived 2 days early, hired a car & Driver / tour guide and off we went for the day. Had a great time prior to having a great time on the cruise. :)

Do yourself a favor and take Ruth's advice.

Arriving on the departure day after a long flight is very tough, even if all goes well. After arriving, when you are completely wiped out, you still need to go through immigration, customs, etc and then get to the ship, oh did I mention the Jet lag? Not to mention the stress if the flights are delayed for some reason.

Better to arrive early, enjoy the city for a day or two and then board. When Mrs Banjo & I cruised from NZ we arrived 2 days early, hired a car & Driver / tour guide and off we went for the day. Had a great time prior to having a great time on the cruise. :)

Definitely - take Ruth's advice.

if we are doing our own airfare we never arrived day of embarkation. Too tired, too stressful. Go a day or two early and enjoy some of the port, arrive on the ship rested and ready for a great time.:)

Just did this trip. Our flight arrived about 8:00 a.m. Not too much delay going through customs and getting to the hotel. Long walk from the terminal to where the HAL van was parked. We did not sleep much on the flight over. Kept ourselves awake and busy, did a lot of walking in Auckland. (Lovely city for walking.) Had dinner about 5:30 p.m. their time and nearly fell asleep over dinner. We were in bed shortly after nine. The jet lag actually hit me the next day, which was a sea day.

Just a note about exchanging money. Be alert! We were at the Swissotel in Sydney. Just outside the hotel was a small hole-in-the-wall exchange. The rates were posted correctly but the service charge was outrageous! $20US became $12AUS. We asked the concierge at our hotel where to find fair exchange rates. He directed us to an exchange around the corner and about half a block away where the rates were correct and no service charge.

Archived