Could I be a Radiance Cruiser?

Well, very possibly. I'm hoping to get down to Florida sometime for Spring Training (one month 'til pitchers and catchers report!), and would love to fit in a short cruise. After looking over all the possibilities, the Radiance 5-day cruise seems to fit the bill the best. My main problem however is I will only be able to book at the last minute - 1-2 weeks before sailing. So I want to get all my info gathered so I can make a lightning-fast decision ;)

Here are my questions:

-My mother has an allergy to wheat, and therefore needs a wheat/gluten-free diet. Now, I know with that kind of lead time we won't be able to order any special foods, but I was wondering if they could still accommodate her needs in the dining room? And can she bring some of her gluten-free bread on board? (she's actually found a brand that tasts like bread, and not cardboard!)

-Staying with food, I'm considering RCI again because of their implementing My Time Dining; however, I've read that they seem to prefer that people make reservations rather than arrive at any time. How difficult is it to get a table as a walk-up? Consider that we don't mind waiting a bit (10-15 minutes), but I think I would find it a pain to have to reserve a specific time every night.

-Let's talk cabins: looking at booking a balcony cabin. Is there a big difference between a Deluxe Balcony (E1) and a Superior Balcony (D1) cabin? Also, looking at hump balconies, specifically the ones near the elevators - how is privacy on the balcony, i.e. can others see into your balcony? Do the dividers go all the way to the railing?

-I've heard rumblings about plumbing problems on Deck 7, and specifically cabin 7094. OK, give it to me straight - what's the deal? I can take it :cool:

-Is there a list of wines included in the various wine packages?

-Has anyone parked at the port in Tampa, and can tell me about the process? Is there a lot of walking between the parking lot and the terminal?

I reserve the right to come back with more ridiculous questions as they occur to me... :D

Well, very possibly. I'm hoping to get down to Florida sometime for Spring Training (one month 'til pitchers and catchers report!), and would love to fit in a short cruise. After looking over all the possibilities, the Radiance 5-day cruise seems to fit the bill the best. My main problem however is I will only be able to book at the last minute - 1-2 weeks before sailing. So I want to get all my info gathered so I can make a lightning-fast decision ;)

Here are my questions:

-My mother has an allergy to wheat, and therefore needs a wheat/gluten-free diet. Now, I know with that kind of lead time we won't be able to order any special foods, but I was wondering if they could still accommodate her needs in the dining room? And can she bring some of her gluten-free bread on board? (she's actually found a brand that tasts like bread, and not cardboard!)

-Staying with food, I'm considering RCI again because of their implementing My Time Dining; however, I've read that they seem to prefer that people make reservations rather than arrive at any time. How difficult is it to get a table as a walk-up? Consider that we don't mind waiting a bit (10-15 minutes), but I think I would find it a pain to have to reserve a specific time every night.

-Let's talk cabins: looking at booking a balcony cabin. Is there a big difference between a Deluxe Balcony (E1) and a Superior Balcony (D1) cabin? Also, looking at hump balconies, specifically the ones near the elevators - how is privacy on the balcony, i.e. can others see into your balcony? Do the dividers go all the way to the railing?

If your looking last minute you might as well forget about what room you will get. Balcs have been doing pretty good booking before 14 days out also getting price they want!

-I've heard rumblings about plumbing problems on Deck 7, and specifically cabin 7094. OK, give it to me straight - what's the deal? I can take it :cool:

-Is there a list of wines included in the various wine packages?

-Has anyone parked at the port in Tampa, and can tell me about the process? Is there a lot of walking between the parking lot and the terminal?

Tampa is a very easy port to park. pull up to cruise port, drop off luggage, pull across street, park, walk back over, total time about 5 mins or less.

I reserve the right to come back with more ridiculous questions as they occur to me... :D

Food questions I wouldn't have a clue..

As far as the gluten free goes, I have Celiac. I don't bother emailing the special needs department anymore because whenever I got on the ship I was told I had to meet with the head waiter anyway. I just tell them the first night that I need gluten free and have not had any issues. They usually bring me a menu for the next night and discuss what I can have and what I can't so I can decide what I will want.

As far as the buffet, I just eat what I know to be safe and hope for no cross contamination. I pretty much stay with veggies, meat or salads.

The do have gf bread on board, but I don't like it. I take gf snacks and stuff with me all the time. I have never taken any gf breads so I can't say 100%, but I don't see why not.

As for MTD, yes, you can walk up whenever you want. You may have a short wait if you want specific dining arrangements, but never very long.

The hump cabins don't compromise your privacy...they are as private as any other...and the divider goes all the way to the railing....it's just the "extended" balconies on deck 7 (fore and aft) that don't have a full divider. The difference in a D and E cabin is about 23 sq. ft. of cabin space.

If you let them know about your mom's diet restrictions when you book, they can and will accomodate her. They do "gluten free" very well.

This is the easiest of all Florida ports to park at. Parking is $14 a day and valet is only $1 more (plus a tip). So for $15 a day, you can pull right up to the door, they will take your luggage out, and they will park your car in the secured lot on the side of the port building. When you come back, you walk out the front door, hand them your ticket (prepaid), they bring your car around and load your luggage and you are on your way.:D

parking..

across the street an easy walk but they have valet down to science.

The longest wait I experienced with MTD last month on the radiance was 5 minutes.. I NEVER set up a reservation... hopefully it will run as in 2 weeks we we sail again

have a great trip and if great deals pop up I will sail her in march/april before she leaves

A very nice ship

As far as the gluten free goes, I have Celiac. I don't bother emailing the special needs department anymore because whenever I got on the ship I was told I had to meet with the head waiter anyway. I just tell them the first night that I need gluten free and have not had any issues. They usually bring me a menu for the next night and discuss what I can have and what I can't so I can decide what I will want.

As far as the buffet, I just eat what I know to be safe and hope for no cross contamination. I pretty much stay with veggies, meat or salads.

The do have gf bread on board, but I don't like it. I take gf snacks and stuff with me all the time. I have never taken any gf breads so I can't say 100%, but I don't see why not.

As for MTD, yes, you can walk up whenever you want. You may have a short wait if you want specific dining arrangements, but never very long.

Thanks for the info. I figured we could just talk to the Maître d' but nice to hear first-hand experience.

The hump cabins don't compromise your privacy...they are as private as any other...and the divider goes all the way to the railing....it's just the "extended" balconies on deck 7 (fore and aft) that don't have a full divider. The difference in a D and E cabin is about 23 sq. ft. of cabin space.

That's good to know. I had seen a picture of those cabins but wasn't sure exactly what position they were.

Radiance in March? Maybe we'll bump into each other.

Also, just in case you want to have a look for yourself, here's a wine list for the packages. It can change but you'll get the idea.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/SampleWineMenu.pdf

Thanks for the list! Alas, need to be back to work for a project starting on the 15th, so would be on an earlier sailing.

This is the easiest of all Florida ports to park at. Parking is $14 a day and valet is only $1 more (plus a tip).

parking..

across the street an easy walk but they have valet down to science.

The parking sounds awesome... :D

Just off the Rd last month........in fact,with a few that have posted above...........

We did have trouble with the infamous brown water-we were on deck 10........we ran the water 10 mins and it cleared out.........seems to be a problem with the pipes that they hope to fix in drydock...It can effect different sections of the ship at different times.......was told by staff and crew alike,NOT to drink the water out of the faucets......that really surprised me because you always hear about how great the water filtration system is.........

Archived