St. Maarten newbie....kinda

BeccaBecca1713

Ok, so I actually went to St. Maarten a few years ago but we did a Carnival excursion where we were whisked away in a bus to go horseback riding. This year, I just want to plop down on a gorgeous beach.

So, what's best? I hear alot about Orient Beach. Is there an admission? Do they have chairs, etc.. to rent? How much? Although I'm quite content to plop my towel on the sand.

I've also read about folks taking a water taxi from the cruiseport to a beach. What is the name of this beach? Same as above, is there an admission fee? Rentals? Also, is this the beach where folks have said the water is really nasty?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!:D

Ok, so I actually went to St. Maarten a few years ago but we did a Carnival excursion where we were whisked away in a bus to go horseback riding. This year, I just want to plop down on a gorgeous beach.

So, what's best? I hear alot about Orient Beach. Is there an admission? Do they have chairs, etc.. to rent? How much? Although I'm quite content to plop my towel on the sand.

I've also read about folks taking a water taxi from the cruiseport to a beach. What is the name of this beach? Same as above, is there an admission fee? Rentals? Also, is this the beach where folks have said the water is really nasty?

Thanks for any help you can provide!!:D

I generally recommend Orient Beach.

No admission to any beach on SXM

Orient has plenty of beach bar/restaurants that rent loungers. Just take a taxi to Orient and then walk along the beach until you see a spot you like and/or one that has a good deal (a number of them will throw in a free drink). One advanatage to renting a lounger is you also get access to their washroom and sometimes a shower.

You can also just plop your towel down on the beach. The occasional operator acts like they own the sand in front of their bar/restauarant - they don't.

Personally I wouldn't swim in Great Bay (the beach near the cruiseship port). The water usually looks fine but I know that occasionally nasty things are drained into it and I just don't care to take the chance.

Other nice beaches are:

Dawn Beach - very pretty BUT it can get rough depending on wind direction. Good snorkeling at Dawn

Le Galion - shallow water - good beach if you have small kids. But you don't get as many taxis hanging around - so getting a ride back to the ship may be a challenge unless you arrange with a driver to return.

Beccabecca1713 that I know there is no admission for Orient Beach but I have been there for a few years. Yes they have beach chairs you need to pay to use but the price is ok if I remember right it was $18 for two chair and a drink but do not hold me to this. If you have kids with you maybe you want to think about other beach because some people walk around naked on the beach.

You can take a water taxi to the beach not to Orient Beach to get to Orient beach you need to take a cab or something they call a bus. If you decide to take the water taxi there is a nice beach their you can rent a beach chair if I am right the beach chair are $5 but do not hold me to this. There is no admission to this beach. I do not know the name of this beach. We do not think the water was nasty

Thanks for the replies!!!! Think I'll def hit up Orient Beach. Might not tell my hubs about the nudist part until we get there and surprise him, LOL! :p

The only clothing optional part of Orient Beach is in front of Club Orient and is marked by a large sign so you know what you are going into.

2213632540096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

The rest of Orient is topless but most people, especially the cruisers, keep their tops on.

There are large van cabs that service the beach and charge $6 pp in groups of 6 or more; the dispatchers at the pier will set up the groups. Going back, the drivers waiting at the taxi pickup points will also put people into groups. The fare for 2 people alone is $18. The ride will take 25-30 minutes in the morning and 30-40 minutes in the afternoon.

The Great Bay beach (one available near the water taxi's) is fun if you don't wanna travel far and has tons of bars close by. The beer is really cheap and i think it costs something like $10-15 for 2 beach chairs, umbrella and 2 beers. My bro, cousin and I like frequenting that beach when we stop by in St.Maarten since its so close to the cruise so after a day of drinking its nice and easy to get back to the ship!

Beccabecca,

Orient beach is a great choice! Been to the island nine different times and have spent all of our time there. Lots of fun things to do and many different places to eat - and a good variety of food. Chairs and umbrella's are everywhere. the beach is quite long and the water on one end is calm while it gets rougher as you go north. Ask to be dropped off at Pedro's. Let me know if you have any other questions.

pe4kids

Becca...I'll throw in a vote for Rainbow Beach. We paid a $10 cab ride over (one of the established stands at the port). They have a little restaraunt/bar right there that had .75 cent Caribes (OK not the best beer but it sure was cheap!). We had a great burger and fries there.

We also paid $10 for two chaise lounges and an umbrella.

It was a nice secluded cove. Not a big beach...maybe 200-300 yards long. The waves were a little too rough for snorkeling. But, it was great for just cooling off!

There were a few topless sunbathers at the far end...but otherwise not an issue for families.

We had one guy that asked us if we wanted to do a timeshare tour...told him no and he never bothered us again.

Overall a great beach day!

Becca...I'll throw in a vote for Rainbow Beach. We paid a $10 cab ride over (one of the established stands at the port). They have a little restaraunt/bar right there that had .75 cent Caribes (OK not the best beer but it sure was cheap!). We had a great burger and fries there.

We also paid $10 for two chaise lounges and an umbrella.

It was a nice secluded cove. Not a big beach...maybe 200-300 yards long. The waves were a little too rough for snorkeling. But, it was great for just cooling off!

There were a few topless sunbathers at the far end...but otherwise not an issue for families.

We had one guy that asked us if we wanted to do a timeshare tour...told him no and he never bothered us again.

Overall a great beach day!

Where abouts is this beach? Is it on the island of St. Maarten?

There's a section of Cupecoy Beach that locals have referred to as Rainbow Beach. It's below where the old Cliffhanger bar operated, but they've been closed for years, maybe five or six years.

The building is seen at the bottom right of this photo:

th_DSCN5992.jpg

(click)

Cliffhanger's access path was blocked off, and I don't know how to access that section of Cupecoy without entering The Cliffs or Rainbow (wow, what a coincidence:)) gated high rise properties they built above the beach.

gary

There's a section of Cupecoy Beach that locals have referred to as Rainbow Beach. It's below where the old Cliffhanger bar operated, but they've been closed for years, maybe five or six years.

th_DSCN5992.jpg

(click)

Cliffhanger's access path was blocked off, and I don't know how to access that section of Cupecoy without entering The Cliffs or Rainbow (wow, what a coincidence:)) gated high rise properties they built above the beach.

gary

Thanks, I was trying to place that one. The last time we went by Cupacoy from the water one would have guessed that it was called "moon beach" as our boat load of sunset cruisers got "mooned" by the "cliffboys".

Where abouts is this beach? Is it on the island of St. Maarten?

th_DSCN5992.jpg

(click)

gary

I was mistaken...looking back through my travel logs, it was Dawn Beach!:o

I almost asked if it might be Dawn Beach because of this:

th_DSCN2691.jpg

(click)

But the 200 - 300 yards didn't work, as Dawn is 700 - 800 yards, and even some years ago taxi rate for two was $15.

th_DSCN3857.jpg

gary

p.s. I really enjoy Carib on the beach under the warm sun.

I almost asked if it might be Dawn Beach because of this:

th_DSCN2691.jpg

(click)

But the 200 - 300 yards didn't work, as Dawn is 700 - 800 yards, and even some years ago taxi rate for two was $15.

th_DSCN3857.jpg

gary

p.s. I really enjoy Carib on the beach under the warm sun.

It was a guesstimate...after a few of those caribes, my calibration may have been off!

But, I do remember $10 bucks...maybe the guy gave us a "cut" rate because it was a group of us.

Becca,

The more I read the more I would encourage you and hubby to spend the day on Orient Beach - so much to see and do for anyone with lots of great eating choices. Been there done that many times and am anxious to get back. If you go you won't regret it!

Archived