Alaska from Vancouver: Volendam vs Zuiderdam?

tomculb

Following up on my post a few minutes ago, if we do a 7 RT day Alaska cruise out of Vancouver, we can choose Wednesday on the Volendam or Saturday on the Zuiderdam. We took our only other cruise on the Oosterdam last spring, so I feel like I've already been on the Zuiderdam, and a smaller ship intuitively seems attractive to me, but is there really much of a difference to justify the difference in price? Are there shorter lines getting on and off the Volendam? If most cruise ships embark on weekends, is the Volenam likely to be in Alaska ports with fewer other ships in port? Any other considerations?

I would check out the number of ships in the ports on the days each of these two HAL ships are there. I bet there are fewer on Volendam days, given her Wed. departure. Personally, I like the smaller ship - just a more comfortable, quiet feeling onboard.

DaveOKC

I agree with Dave - love the smaller sized Volendam, have sailed on the Oosterdam twice (both to Alaska), and this past year on the Amsterdam (14 day Alaska). While the Oosterdam holds a special place in my heart, the size of the Amsterdam was like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears - JUST RIGHT;)! Look at cabin 7086 for an ocean view that is steps from a small, little used public aft deck, so you "feel" like you've got an aft balcony even though you don't! Also as previously stated, the Wed. departure would most likely bring you fewer other ships in port.

I would have picked the Wednesday departure if we didn't both work and have to take advantage of the 2 weekends between the cruise itself. Less crowded ports and more than likely less children (I would think, just guessing because most people who work also have to take days off between the weekends). I haven't really looked at the Volendam, but if she is a smaller ship that is a bonus too, imo!

I asked these same type of questions for our Alaska cruise we took last July. RuthC suggested a Wed sailing. Being fairly new to cruising, I wasn't even thinking about which day of the week to sail. I was the one in charge of planning this cruise for DH and I and another couple, and I wanted to make all the right decisions!:)

Chose the Volendam, Wed. sailing, and it was perfect. No crowds.

On embarkation day, and each time we pulled into a port, this little voice in my mind would say "Thank you Ruth".

RuthC suggested a Wed sailing.

...Chose the Volendam, Wed. sailing, and it was perfect. No crowds.

Whew!

On embarkation day, and each time we pulled into a port, this little voice in my mind would say "Thank you Ruth".

You're welcome! Thanks for remembering, and for the credit (glad it's not blame.)

LOL. No blame Ruth!:) That Wed sailing suggestion was great along with the other advice I received. I really do appreciate everyone here taking the time to answer questions.

I pushed for the Alaska cruise so it was especially good that it turned out so well. I am enjoying the credit DH and our friends are giving me for planning such a great cruise. lol

It is fun and very helpful to check the link to see what other ships will be in port with you. Be sure and also check the time that the ships will be there. We had already decided on a Wed sailing and when I found out about this link I saw it was a good decision.

On embarkation day (a Wed in July) we were the only large ship leaving. Then in Skagway and Juneau we were the only large ship there. In Ketchikan there were two other ships, but they came and went at different times. They had gotten there before us and left at least 2-3 hours before we did.

We did the float plane trip with Michele in Ketchikan and when we were flying back in we saw the large Princess ship leaving. So we had plenty of time to walk around town before we had to board and it was not crowded at all.:)

Archived