QE & QV Pics in Port Everglades

eroller

Well the offerings today do not compare to QM2, but none the less I never tire of looking at ships especially on a beautiful day.

Today was "spot the Vista" as there were four in port. QE & QV plus NOORDAM and NIEUW AMSTERDAM.

Unfortunately QE backed in just like QM2 yesterday, and that is where the similarities end. She is not attractive from the rear and certainly not photogenic like QM2. The bow-on view of her sister QV was much better, and of course QV has the more attractive tiered stern.

One thing I noticed both yesterday and today is that Cunard did not "dress" their ships with flags like most passenger ships docked in a major port. All the ships today with the exception of QV, QE, and NOORDAM were "dressed". Yesterday all the ships I saw were dressed except for QM2 and CARNIVAL FREEDOM, and I think FREEDOM had just taken hers down for sailing.

Once again here is the link with all the photos, and some for preview as well.

Ernie

Click here for photo link

web.jpg?ver=12952101130001

web.jpg?ver=12952101360001

web.jpg?ver=12952103130001

web.jpg?ver=12952101010001

web.jpg?ver=12952101660001

Thank you and congratulations for your today's pictures eroller. Quite a nice gallery you got there!

What kind of photo equipment are you using?

I get to do most of my ship spotting sessions here in Monaco and occasionally in Cannes when the Cunard Queens are visiting there. At times they can end up in Villefranche or Cap d'Antibes depending on the weather.

Most visiting cruise ships really don't thrill me. The Cunarders are always the prettiest. I have never seen them dressed on their here not even on their very first visits. Never seen QE2 dressed on any of her visits to Monaco.

I have some nice screenshots of today's Queens visit at Port Everglades. I will post them tomorrow as it is already late in my part of the world. I am waiting to see if I can catch them leaving harbour just as I saw them coming in.

:)

Quite a nice departure for Queen Elizabeth with the two tug boats and their water jets

Yes that was nice. Now it's the race of the Vista's! LOL

QV is facing forward and NIEUW AMSTERDAM is backing out astern.

Looks like QV is winning. ;)

Ernie

WOW, QV gave a very impressive show with her horn upon departure. Best yet!! Dare I say it's even deeper and more impressive sounding than QM2?

Ernie

Yes, I counted her whistle 12 times.. Little attention seeker that she is ;)

QM2's whistle is amazing though - you can feel it go through you if you are on the top deck, it really is something else to experience! :)

Cheers,

Chris

Well, at least in one respect not all Vista's are created equal. The horns! QV's was deep and penetrating (I know that sounds erotic. LOL). NIEUW AMSTERDAM's was quite wimpy.

I've sailed on both these ships and I didn't really notice the difference until now.

Ernie

Well, at least in one respect not all Vista's are created equal. The horns! QV's was deep and penetrating (I know that sounds erotic. LOL). NIEUW AMSTERDAM's was quite wimpy.

I've sailed on both these ships and I didn't really notice the difference until now.

Ernie

Yes, even via the webcam there is a difference! You need to try QM2 :)

Chris

Yes, even via the webcam there is a difference! You need to try QM2 :)

Chris

Oh I have. She is one of my favorite ships. I believe QM2 has two horns. Of course the original from QM in Long Beach complete with simulated steam, and another horn more forward. It's a "double effect" so to speak.

Ernie

WOW, QV gave a very impressive show with her horn upon departure. Best yet!! Dare I say it's even deeper and more impressive sounding than QM2?

Ernie

Funny you say that -- I remember thinking the same thing as I heard QV's whistle for the first time leaving Soton last January. I was on the balcony with Kindlychap, and after the blasts, we looked at each other with a bit of a "well, that was a big surprise" look.

QM2 is still lovely, but doesn't seem to be as imposing as the Vistas. Even seven years on, it still sounds out of tune.

Funny you say that -- I remember thinking the same thing as I heard QV's whistle for the first time leaving Soton last January. I was on the balcony with Kindlychap, and after the blasts, we looked at each other with a bit of a "well, that was a big surprise" look.

QM2 is still lovely, but doesn't seem to be as imposing as the Vistas. Even seven years on, it still sounds out of tune.

Greg,

I didn't hear QE's horn. Does it sound the same as QV's (meaning as good)?

I see you have ROTTERDAM on July 12 as an upcoming cruise. It's quite likely I will be onboard as well. Stephen Card, Stephen Payne, and Bill Miller will be onboard as lecturers. I'm planning to spend two nights after the crossing on the hotel Rotterdam V. I think that would be the perfect way to end the trip!

Ernie

Greg,

I see you have ROTTERDAM on July 12 as an upcoming cruise. It's quite likely I will be onboard as well. Stephen Card, Stephen Payne, and Bill Miller will be onboard as lecturers. I'm planning to spend two nights after the crossing on the hotel Rotterdam V. I think that would be the perfect way to end the trip!

Ernie

I'd definitely say as good -- probably the same model, but that means it's good! Made a habit of going to the Deck 12 Grills Terrace under the funnel for the whistle test, and it was a great sound...shook me greater than any whistle, save the beautiful warble of QE2.

Yep, have very strong plans to do the ROTTERDAM crossing -- same plans. It seems like it's a really special opportunity to cross on something other than Cunard. Much as I love the Cunard TA experience, I like the idea of doing a "straight shot" crossing on someone else, especially such a special experience.

Oh I have. She is one of my favorite ships. I believe QM2 has two horns. Of course the original from QM in Long Beach complete with simulated steam, and another horn more forward. It's a "double effect" so to speak.

Ernie

Oh sorry, I misundertood - from your post I read it as in you hadn't been on her and heard her whistle directly!

She has 4 whistles. Two on the funnel, one on the mast and one on the bow!

Thanks for the photos :)

Chris

Greg,

Ernie

I'd definitely say as good -- probably the same model, but that means it's good! Made a habit of going to the Deck 12 Grills Terrace under the funnel for the whistle test, and it was a great sound...shook me greater than any whistle, save the beautiful warble of QE2.

Yep, have very strong plans to do the ROTTERDAM crossing -- same plans. It seems like it's a really special opportunity to cross on something other than Cunard. Much as I love the Cunard TA experience, I like the idea of doing a "straight shot" crossing on someone else, especially such a special experience.

There's already a roll call for the Rotterdam crossing:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1175099

Calliope from the Maiden QE crossing will also be there. I plan on doing an Arctic Cruise and returning on QM2 August 15.

Roy

Archived