Thomson Spirit

We've just booked a cruise on the Thomson Spirit in June. We are doing the Adriatic Explorer on the AI package. I have a few questions.

Can anybody tell me if you are supplied with a towel for the sunbeds?

Are packed lunches provided for excursions?

Is bottled water provided under AI?

Can drink be taken off the ship?

What is the stability of the ship like (do poor travellers tend to cope OK)?

Cheers

Phil, Newcastle

hi the towels to use at the pool and on the sunbeds will be in your cabin, we were not provided with any packed lunches on trips and the stability of the spirit is fine in fact its a great ship with a fantastic crew, Went on in 2008 and again last august and the itinery is stunning some of the sights made me shed a tear and kotor is the best have a great time very jealous

shirley

We've just booked a cruise on the Thomson Spirit in June. We are doing the Adriatic Explorer on the AI package. I have a few questions.

Cheers

Phil, Newcastle

Phil we were on the Celebration (sister ship to Spirit) last Sept they provide white towels for the cabin and blue ones for sunbeds/pool. We were on Egypt and Holy Land and on the full day tours they provided lunch can't help regards packed lunch. Bottled water isn't included in AI however, if you ask for glass of water at the bar it's free :confused: and with you meals. They won't let you take your drink of the ship unless it's bottle water you have purchased. The Celebration was very stable neither of us had cruised before and we didn't notice anything both ships have a reputation for vibrating a lot but you only tend to notice this in port but you do get used to this after first day. If you have half the great time we had you will love it Enjoy :D

They won't let you take your drink of the ship unless it's bottle water you have purchased.

Is that specific to the Celebration/Spirit?

Christmas before last, we were on the Destiny in the Caribbean, on AI, and every day we went to the bar to get a couple of cans of coke, unopened (free on AI) to take with us, and we left the boat no problems?

Is that specific to the Celebration/Spirit?

Christmas before last, we were on the Destiny in the Caribbean, on AI, and every day we went to the bar to get a couple of cans of coke, unopened (free on AI) to take with us, and we left the boat no problems?

I don't know that I was assuming pint's etc :rolleyes: we didn't think to ask for cans what a good idea will remember that for April on Island :D

Cheers

Phil, Newcastle

I think everyone has answered your questions but just to let you know we did the 2 week B2B last year and on the Adriatic Explorer we had no choppy seas at all - it was all very pleasant sailing. On the other hand, we had a few "choppy" nights on the Pearls of the Aegean and couldn't stop at one port (Santorini) due to high winds. Not sure if this is the norm but there really was no problem at all on the Adriatic Itinerary!

By the way, the bottled water to buy was 80p for a 500ml bottle and £1.40 for a 1.5 litre bottle for those on AI but you have to buy it after 10am for those prices otherwise it was £1.20 and £1.65!!! (Drinks package only available from 10am - 2am).

Lucky you - as much as I loved the Pearls of the Aegean, I think the Adriatic Explorer itinerary had my favourite destinations !

We are a party of 3 couples flying from Manchester on Sat 22nd Jan to join up with Spirit . I will get some info on our return ,as we have got A.I. deal .

We return on Sat 29th Jan , our flight is 19.25 . Do we get to spend any time onboard before departing to airport that evening ? We arrive in port at 8am . Any persons experience of this would be welcome .

From our experience on Destiny, and I imagine Spirit will be the same, your suitcase will be collected from outside your cabin at about 2a.m. during your last night onboard. You will have to vacate your cabin by 10:00a.m. on your last morning. There will be secure storage for your hand luggage in one of the lounges so you don't have to cart it around all day.

There will be "courtesy cabins" you can book a 15 minute time slot in to freshen up before your departure to the airport, or for £20 you can have a "late cabin" to yourselves for the day. You will have the opportunity to book either of these options a couple of days before the end of the cruise.

You will be advised of the time your transfer coach will leave the ship, which will be in order for you to check in at the airport a couple of hours before your flight. You are welcome to stay on board, use the facilities, eat, drink, wander into town or whatever you wish up to that time.

Carol x

We are a party of 3 couples flying from Manchester on Sat 22nd Jan to join up with Spirit . I will get some info on our return ,as we have got A.I. deal .

We return on Sat 29th Jan , our flight is 19.25 . Do we get to spend any time onboard before departing to airport that evening ? We arrive in port at 8am . Any persons experience of this would be welcome .

Hi Willo

We were like you on our last day we left the ship in the evening.

We decided to go on a trip in the morning which was a good idea otherwise you feel like you are hanging about waiting to leave!

We were back on board for lunch and then in the afternoon we had put our names down at Reception for use of a courtesy cabin- 15mins just flies when two of you want to shower and change- the staff were knocking on the door asking us to vacate the cabin for the next users!

We decided to go into the restaurant for a starter in the evening- we just had time to eat it when we had to dash off to get the coach to the airport.

Flopsy

Hi Willo60

Got back from Spirit last Friday. From the list we had, I noticed that everyone was leaving the ship three and a half hours before the time of their flight - this was from Teneriffe which is an hour drive to the airport.

Are you disembarking in Madeira? If so, and you don't want to or can't do any of the other trips, we just strolled off the ship, followed the main road towards town for a very short distance and there are steps up to some lovely gardens high up on the left hand side - little cafe with lovely icecream and seats to watch the antics of the lizards. We then walked a little further along and eventually sat at a pavement cafe overlooking the harbour, with a glass of sangria, and listened to a band from Ecuador playing some really lovely music. A very enjoyable couple of hours ashore. Sure that you'll have a wonderful time on the Spirit - we enjoyed every moment of our week on board.

Sandie

Hi Willo60

Got back from Spirit last Friday. From the list we had, I noticed that everyone was leaving the ship three and a half hours before the time of their flight - this was from Teneriffe which is an hour drive to the airport.

Are you disembarking in Madeira? If so, and you don't want to or can't do any of the other trips, we just strolled off the ship, followed the main road towards town for a very short distance and there are steps up to some lovely gardens high up on the left hand side - little cafe with lovely icecream and seats to watch the antics of the lizards. We then walked a little further along and eventually sat at a pavement cafe overlooking the harbour, with a glass of sangria, and listened to a band from Ecuador playing some really lovely music. A very enjoyable couple of hours ashore. Sure that you'll have a wonderful time on the Spirit - we enjoyed every moment of our week on board.

Sandie

Sandie , thanks for that info .

We are flying Manchester / Gran Canaria Sat 22nd Jan .

We are on 19.25 flight return so got plenty time to get organised and chill before flight home . The cabin for £20 looks a good deal . Dont fancy 15 minute turnaround in shower and fighting with curtain !!!:D

HI There we returned back to the UK last Sunday from Gran Canaria after 17 1/2 hrs delay. We had be out of our cabin at 9am but you could spend the rest of the day on the ship, you have to be off the ship about 30mins before you get picked up to go to the airport. And you can still use your AI card it's valid till you leave the ship.

Could I ask 3 more questions?

Does the Spirit have UK electricity sockets in the cabins?

Is there wifi available?

Do you receive details of the ship and excursions before the holiday as so far we have very little info on what to expect?

A

Does anybody else know about wifi and electricity sockets?

Afraid there is no WiFi on the spirit but there is internet room on deck 5 . Your cabin staff leaves a destination guide when they clean your cabin at night. Hope this helps.

Does anybody else know about wifi and electricity sockets?

There is one of each type of socket (110v USA type 2 flat pin) and (220 european 2 round pin).

I don't think there was wifi onboard, but there are internet PC's at 25p a minute. We have just got back from the colourful coasts cruise, and found free wifi at Funchal airport, and many of the bars in each of the ports. Even if the bars don't advertise it, it's worth asking because many do have it and will give you a password to log on if you're having a drink/meal.

We did this cruise last August and it was wonderful.

Regarding the electricity several people on this site suggested taking an extension lead. The sort with lots of sockets on. The sockets in the cabins are really difficult to get things like mobile phone chargers into, so the lead was a big help.

I was so worried about travel sickness as I don't travel well and had heard about the infamous vibrations! We had storms two nights and I was fine. We were on deck 3.

I did a review of the cruise when I got back, so it may be useful to you.

I just wish Thomson went to the Norwejian Fjords. We have had to book with Fred Olsen for this year.

We did this cruise last August and it was wonderful.

Regarding the electricity several people on this site suggested taking an extension lead. The sort with lots of sockets on. The sockets in the cabins are really difficult to get things like mobile phone chargers into, so the lead was a big help.

I was so worried about travel sickness as I don't travel well and had heard about the infamous vibrations! We had storms two nights and I was fine. We were on deck 3.

I did a review of the cruise when I got back, so it may be useful to you.

I just wish Thomson went to the Norwejian Fjords. We have had to book with Fred Olsen for this year.

RivaDiva - Thomson Spirit is back in Norway in the summer of 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hooray!!!!!! :D:D:D This info was obtained from two independent sources on Dream - both people who were in a position to KNOW - not speculate. So, yes you may have to try FO this year, but there's a light on the horizon for next! :)

Archived