Camping

Mr. Y

As this thread is all tongue in cheek - I love it - remember also that they start moving chairs at 5:00AM for those 7:00AM chair hogs - oh and those who go for a quick smoke. You may even have the unruly adults like myself who go for a skinny dip in the hot tubs at 2 in the morning. I'll make sure to say HEY as I saunter by.

Bring a long rope and tie it to the back of the ship and let the ship tow the kiddies around in the kayak. Just make sure they keep an eye out for fishing lines. Those aft balcony cabins are real popular with anglers.

Thanks for the suggestion but they are only 6 months and 18 months old. I don't think they would like being towed by a BIG boat....

Thanks for the suggestion but they are only 6 months and 18 months old. I don't think they would like being towed by a BIG boat....

The news gets worse......kids in diapers are not allowed in the pools at anytime. What will you do now? :(

They let people bring little pools for the kiddies in diapers, so I think a tent is a great idea!!

If they say no, then just pull a couple of loungers up, and tie beach towels between them. Bamm! You have a tent!:D

Good use for those Carnival blue beach towels.

The news gets worse......kids in diapers are not allowed in the pools at anytime. What will you do now? :(

sneak them in with me at my 2 AM skinny dip - I can move fast if I see a sinker coming - oops sorry - double post. Is this karma

You don't want 6 mo's & 18 mo's exposed on the deck! R U serious! What if you pass out. They could get into trouble or something. And about the tent, yeah, very funny. Here's what you should do: take the rope you use to pull them by the boat and climb up into one of the life boats! That is better than a tent and it goes with the cruising theme. You can hold a flashlight up to your chin and instead of scary camping stories you can all pretend the ship is going down and you are stranded at sea! With just the three of you it will be very cavernous and echoey in there. If you end up on my cruise don't do it on the life boat I am going to try it on...this is a great idea!

I know everyone is having fun with the camping on the deck but it actually happens on the Alaska Marine Highway ferry's.

http://www.suite101.com/content/camping-on-the-alaska-ferry-a221879

Camping on the Deck

When embarking on the ferry, those who find their way to the decks first, get the best camping sites. Tents can be set up on the rear deck, using duct tape to secure the fabric to the surface. Other options are claiming deck lounge chairs and putting sleeping bags or blankets on them for use during the night.

Some spaces are beneath an overhang from the deck above, but many are on the open portion of the deck floor. These will experience the full force of the weather, be it rain, wind, or chill. Sleeping bags rated for cold weather are necessary.

Bring a long rope and tie it to the back of the ship and let the ship tow the kiddies around in the kayak. Just make sure they keep an eye out for fishing lines. Those aft balcony cabins are real popular with anglers.

Thank you - I needed to have a great laugh after the day I have had. This thread is great!

One more thought - since we are in our first aft balcony, in just over a month, I guess I need to get a fishing pole:p

Thank you - I needed to have a great laugh after the day I have had. This thread is great!

One more thought - since we are in our first aft balcony, in just over a month, I guess I need to get a fishing pole:p

There should be two in your room. If not, ask your STEWART:) to fetch a couple for you. The bait will be in your refrig.

There should be two in your room. If not, ask your STEWART:) to fetch a couple for you. The bait will be in your refrig.

Very convenient. So I don't have to go to the sushi bar for bait? Great! Would hate to have to wait until later in the day to get bait. As you know, fising is best done at sunrise;).

Thanks for the tip.

Hey Gang!

Thanks for the feedback on this topic. Obviously some of the gang is joking around, but I did take notice of the possibility of the overserved adults wandering up to the Lido Decks. Judging from my hosses those wandering overserved adults may have little respect for the kids at that time of the night, so I'm thinking about going to the club that night and dropping a few Jacksons to the security guards to have them keep an eye out for the overserved wandering up to the deck.

Thanks Gang for all your helpful comments.

Hey Gang!

Thanks for the feedback on this topic. Obviously some of the gang is joking around, but I did take notice of the possibility of the overserved adults wandering up to the Lido Decks. Judging from my hosses those wandering overserved adults may have little respect for the kids at that time of the night, so I'm thinking about going to the club that night and dropping a few Jacksons to the security guards to have them keep an eye out for the overserved wandering up to the deck.

Thanks Gang for all your helpful comments.

I am never over served but I as an adult do take advantage of the hot tub - so what.

Hey Gang,

I was talking to to one of my good friends today. He is married and they have two children and they will be cruising with my fellow hosses in a month. They were telling me while it is nice to take the kids on the cruise, they still would like a night alone with just the two of them. So I came up with an idea that I would take the kids off their hands for a night and set up a tent on the Lido Deck for a night once we hit the warm seas. Probably night two. I own a tent that won't take up too much space and from my experience last year, the Lido Deck is usually pretty quiet after 8pm. So I figure I will set up the tent around 830 and they can camp out in the tent while I lounge on one of the chairs.

The kids already got wind of this and obviously they will even be more excited for the cruise now. This should make everyone, even though I'm taking one for the team.

Has anybody done this before? I think I may be starting a great idea for future cruises.

Thanks Gang.

It sounds like a good idea....however, it won't be permitted. You'll note that the lounge chairs, tables, etc., are stowed away at night. There is a reason for that. Decks are kept clear in case of fire or other emergency aboard.

Last week the Coast Guard had to do an airlift of a seriously ill passenger off the Pride....from the Lido Deck....by helicopter and several Coastie rescue folks....just as one "fer instance".....

Set up the tenting experience in your cabin or on the balcony....just be sure to remove it in the morning.

Archived