Camping

Mr. Y

Hey Gang,

I was talking to to one of my good friends today. He is married and they have two children and they will be cruising with my fellow hosses in a month. They were telling me while it is nice to take the kids on the cruise, they still would like a night alone with just the two of them. So I came up with an idea that I would take the kids off their hands for a night and set up a tent on the Lido Deck for a night once we hit the warm seas. Probably night two. I own a tent that won't take up too much space and from my experience last year, the Lido Deck is usually pretty quiet after 8pm. So I figure I will set up the tent around 830 and they can camp out in the tent while I lounge on one of the chairs.

The kids already got wind of this and obviously they will even be more excited for the cruise now. This should make everyone, even though I'm taking one for the team.

Has anybody done this before? I think I may be starting a great idea for future cruises.

Thanks Gang.

It gets pretty windy up there on Lido. When we started hammering them spikes into the deck to hold our $99 pop-up gazebo from Walmart, you should have seen the looks we got from them security fellas. Youda thought that deck was made of gold......wel it wasn't, just some old wood like our deck outback.

Anyway.....since they seem to be so protective you might want to bring a whole heap of velcro to hold that tent down. Let us know how it works out.

If camping out doesnt work, can they camp out in your cabin?? Bring over the mattresses from their beds and lay they on the floor and all the kids pile into the same bed for the night.There should be room for two mattresses if you move things around.

Still give your friends a night off.

It gets pretty windy up there on Lido. When we started hammering them spikes into the deck to hold our $99 pop-up gazebo from Walmart, you should have seen the looks we got from them security fellas. Youda thought that deck was made of gold......wel it wasn't, just some old wood like our deck outback.

Anyway.....since they seem to be so protective you might want to bring a whole heap of velcro to hold that tent down.

Velcro? I thought that's what the roll of duct tape is for.:rolleyes:

Duct tape? Ya can't hold a tent down with duct tape.........rube

As a member with over 6,500 posts I should think you would be familiar with the smilie for sarcasm at the end of my post. Try to figure this smilie out or isn't sophisticated enough for you? :p

Hey Gang,

I was talking to to one of my good friends today. He is married and they have two children and they will be cruising with my fellow hosses in a month. They were telling me while it is nice to take the kids on the cruise, they still would like a night alone with just the two of them. So I came up with an idea that I would take the kids off their hands for a night and set up a tent on the Lido Deck for a night once we hit the warm seas. Probably night two. I own a tent that won't take up too much space and from my experience last year, the Lido Deck is usually pretty quiet after 8pm. So I figure I will set up the tent around 830 and they can camp out in the tent while I lounge on one of the chairs.

The kids already got wind of this and obviously they will even be more excited for the cruise now. This should make everyone, even though I'm taking one for the team.

Has anybody done this before? I think I may be starting a great idea for future cruises.

Thanks Gang.[/quote

What a great and sweet idea. You can always bring some snacks and tell Pirate Stories.

Thanks Debrohah,

I am going to talk to some of the staff on the Lido deck to see if they could put out a grill so we can roast marshmallows.

Not to burst your bubble, but Im 100% sure the answer will be NO. fire hazard. If they let you cook on the grill they would probably lose their jobs, but its a great idea otherwise .. just not on a cruiseship where people freak over anything a fire hazard.

Not to burst your bubble, but Im 100% sure the answer will be NO. fire hazard. If they let you cook on the grill they would probably lose their jobs, but its a great idea otherwise .. just not on a cruiseship where people freak over anything a fire hazard.

Maybe roomservice can make smores for you, and bring them out, Or cook them at the Grille when not cooking burgers.

Maybe you can get some of the lounge chair stacks arranged to tie the tent to, and build a "FORT" for them, on a side deck, that way it is out of the way and blocked from some of the wind.

Or depending on the ship it could be at the kids water park area, the floor is spungy and softer,

This might start a new thing for Camp Carnival, try emailing John

While I think this is all fun - sounds like a lot of extra to pack and worry about.

Why can't they just go to camp until 3AM? We'll be leaving our son there till 3 one night so my husband and I can enjoy plenty of alone time...by 3AM we'll be ready for sleep anyways.

I can't tell whether the original post is serious. I'd give ten-to-one that the crew will not allow you to put up a tent on the Lido deck. It sounds like fun. But in my experience, Carnival will only let you do what they've let many people before you do. And I'm guessing this isn't one of those things. And they won't look for a reason to let you. They'll look for any reason to not let you (you'll be in the way of other passengers, you might get blown overboard, you might be in the way of a maintenance exercise, etc.)

And good luck trying to work this out in advance. I've found Carnival's staff paricularly unhelpful when trying to make arrangements in advance for anything that might be seen as "outside the box".

Do you have a separate cabin from this family? If so, are you sharing the cabin with someone?

I ask, because I don't think you will be allowed to set up a tent on Lido. (Sweet idea, though, and my nieces loved the same concept in a hotel room some weeks ago.)

Instead, and you'll have to ask your cabin mate(s) if you have any, you can have a little campout in your cabin. My DD and I often have a late night picnic in our cabin, in which we order room service (we both LOVE the chocolate cake), play hide and seek, and cards.

If an indoor campout is a no-go, then I can attest to the WONDERFUL service that Camp Carnival provides while onboard. It is free until 10pm. After that, a nominal $6/hour babysitting fee applies until 3:00am. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

True camping does not require a tent. Tell them to just grab their blankets and sleep on the deck.

Don't forget to pack a soft sided cooler, fill it with ice and some food so that it's more like "real camping".

As long as you are on the smoking side of the ship, just bring long sticks, marshmellows and a bic lighter. It may take a while but you'll end up with your toasted marshmellows.

Our grand kids have never been kayaking before but seem to be interested in it. Do you think we could bring one small kayak to let our grandkids use in the pool? Of course we would only use the pool after hrs so we wouldn't bother anyone.

I can't tell whether the original post is serious. I'd give ten-to-one that the crew will not allow you to put up a tent on the Lido deck. ...

And good luck trying to work this out in advance. I've found Carnival's staff paricularly unhelpful when trying to make arrangements in advance for anything that might be seen as "outside the box".

Finally, a voice of reason. Tent? Really? :confused:

Archived