Want to weigh in on Princess coffee?

ripaula

Try buying at Starbucks itself, or when in the US at Target. They are usually $2.99 (not GBP) for three, and if you get the stronger one, Italian Roast, you can use just 1/2 packet for each cup of coffee.

Pia, I just had a senior moment trying to work out when I said what you quoted there, but all's well again, cos I didn't say it lol! :o

The packs here were tiny little sachets in a tiny little box, like 7 individual nescafe tubes. There was no choice of blends. I will splash out next time I shop or go near a starbucks. I'm sure it must be very good if you like it. ;)

ETA Why has quoting gone all weird?

You might want to look for something like this:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Hygiene___Food___DrinkEF123?Args=

Pia, unless these newer ones have an auto shut off, they are not allowed onboard and if seen will be confiscated. We were actually on a cruise not all that long ago where they made an announcement to that effect, that the immersible water heaters were a hazzard and a safety risk and were not to be used onboard. ;)

Love my coffee 1st in the morning and too lazy to get dressed and go to IC that early so I have always brought my own coffee pot (since the first cruise and 1st taste of syrup coffee. Maybe if I used cream and sugar it wouldn"t be so bad, but black syrup coffee is not a good start to my great cruise days! Princess is still the best despite the coffee.

I can't get past the 'smell' of the syrup coffee. It just has a very strange odor, and I can't compare it to anything. I have ever smelled before.

For those of us who are "les gens d'un certain âge" and can remember life during WWll, coffee was a total luxury back then and so they produced a beverage product utilizing Chicory. How or why Chicory I can't say but that is how the coffee aboard Princess smells and tastes...dreadful!

I was on the Crown Princess last January. I generally have just one morning cup of coffee. My room was on the Plaza deck...a hop, skip and jump from the International Cafe. So it was easy for my husband or I just to run down the hallway and get a fresh brewed cup of coffee with the coffee card. Sometimes a muffin or a danish was picked up, too just to banish the hunger pangs before heading to the Horizon Court for breakfast.

I had an occasionally latte but it was nice to have the unlimited brewed coffee. I have not used all the punches so I keep it with my passport for my next Princess cruise.

I did try the Horizon Court coffee upon my arrival but quickly ran back down to the cafe to purchase the card. For $25, it's not a bad deal.

Jenny

I don't know how well this subject has been covered recently, but around the holidays, I heard a lot about how the TSA was going to start scrutinizing your insulated mugs, so put them in the checked bag if possible.

scrutinized for what? :confused:

Pia, unless these newer ones have an auto shut off, they are not allowed onboard and if seen will be confiscated. We were actually on a cruise not all that long ago where they made an announcement to that effect, that the immersible water heaters were a hazzard and a safety risk and were not to be used onboard. ;)

Never even thought about that, Toto. We used to carry a coil years ago, before I got smart and started bringing the one cupper. You are probably right about them not having an automatic shutoff.

I had heard something about this around Christmas time. Googled "insulated mugs screened by the tsa" and there's several articles about the potential for extra screening. Someone decided that you can use them to make a bomb. Have no idea if it's really going to happen but it's talked about on several web locatiions. Gave up bringing my "Bubba Mug" after losing too many due to my forgetting them at the buffet tables. The mugs nerver made it to the lost and found.

One excerpt --

"Pistole also advised the public to expect additional screening if they travel with the thermal mugs and thermoses.

“In the near future if you want to take your thermos with you just be aware that your going to be subject to more physical screening," the TSA head said today."

Try buying at Starbucks itself, or when in the US at Target. They are usually $2.99 (not GBP) for three, and if you get the stronger one, Italian Roast, you can use just 1/2 packet for each cup of coffee.

Thanks, Pia - I will look in Target when next in US. I have heard mention of these on the boards, but never seen them over here until last week. As I said previously, they were on offer at our local supermarket. They did actually have a full range (the stronger ones were more expensive), but maybe they are now sold out - maybe all those UK cruisers stocking up:p after reading about it on CC.

Sorry, for our taste the coffee on board is SWILL...and we cannot drink it...It is made from camp coffee (syrup)..and is just awful. I also do not

drink fancy coffee's but the coffee card was a god sent to us, as between

the two of us...we each drink at least 2-3 cups in the a.m. Buy a card for

$26.00....it will be well worth it !!!!!!!

B>J>:)

I had heard something about this around Christmas time. Googled "insulated mugs screened by the tsa" and there's several articles about the potential for extra screening. Someone decided that you can use them to make a bomb. Have no idea if it's really going to happen but it's talked about on several web locatiions. Gave up bringing my "Bubba Mug" after losing too many due to my forgetting them at the buffet tables. The mugs nerver made it to the lost and found.

One excerpt --

"Pistole also advised the public to expect additional screening if they travel with the thermal mugs and thermoses.

“In the near future if you want to take your thermos with you just be aware that your going to be subject to more physical screening," the TSA head said today."

I really need my mug, so now it will go into checked baggage instead of carryon.

At home we like mild coffee blends, but brewed strong - extra scoops in the filter!

On board Emerald in Dec, we found that different stations in Horizon Court had different strengths of coffee - some clearly had more syrup:water than others (based on colour, odor, how it mixed with milk, and taste). We'd travel around trying each station until we found the one that was consistently strongest.

One of the Horizon Court supervisors pointed out the water tap in case I wanted to dilute the cofffee -- I said "no way - I need more syrup!". A few minutes later he came to our table with a cup with some coffee syrup in the bottom. We added it to our coffee and created a better cup! We asked for more syrup a couple other times and he brought it no problem.

I agree that the coffee card is a great idea - we enjoyed our specialty coffees daily. BUT we found that the brewed coffee at IC was BURNT!! It was made in the glass pots, and they sat on the warmer for ages. The few times I got a brewed coffee it was not drinkable. The IC does not keep a time limit on the coffee they brew, so it sits there on the warming plate forever. It really does depend on how recently they made the pot and how well they cleaned out the last batch before they brewed the new one!

I like my coffee strong and drink it black with no sweetener. I have never found the coffee in the Horizon Court to be objectionable. Having said that, since most posters on this site find HC coffee undrinkable, I don't see why Princess doesn't get the message and change over to fresh brewed. Royal Caribbean serves fresh Seattles's Best in the Windjammer Cafe.

On the other hand, Windjammer is only open for meals whereas Horizon is open 24 hours. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm a coffee lover. I love good coffee. I can also drink "bad"coffee, as long as it's not weak!

HOW BAD is the bad coffee? What's so bad about it?

Not too interested in the coffee card since I don't drink fancy coffees, but I will get it for fresh brewed if the syrup stuff is swill:rolleyes:

Bad!!

Why would you need a coffee card? Isn't the coffee and tea free on Princess?

Please do some research or read from the beginning so as not to belabor the point. Yes, you can drink all the free coffee you desire, providing you are happy with the free psuedo coffee.

Archived