Capnpugwash is off to the Mediterranean

Thank you, Capnpugwash, for your excellent reports! They always are not only informative but also quite enjoyable. Your sense of humor shows through. The size of the portions --- such as your porridge offering this morning --- has nothing at all to do with "American" serving habits as The Real PM seems to assume.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Thank you, Capnpugwash, for your excellent reports! They always are not only informative but also quite enjoyable. Your sense of humor shows through. The size of the portions --- such as your porridge offering this morning --- has nothing at all to do with "American" serving habits as The Real PM seems to assume.

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Well, it is very much like the serving sizes we get here in Connecticut. Maybe your area is different from ours.

Capn, you have once again done a terrific job in your reporting on this cruise. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and thank you for your usual informative and entertaining repertoire. Is my guess correct that you are more than satisfied with the RCI experience and that you would entertain another cruise with this line?

Bettie

Bettie, I am and I believe that I would, not necessarily on IOTS but something smaller perhaps, the main thing would be the price.

Update No 33

I went onto the balcony and was greeted by the stench of diesel fuel. We are moored next to a marine fuel depot and the smell is overpowering. So I stayed in the cabin for a while and then succumbed to the temptation of the Windjammer. I went along to the place, which as expected was almost empty, and I must have got confused as the only food that I could find was egg drop soup, Thai fish cakes and lychee fried rice. I then realised that I was in Jade, which is the first part of the buffet that you come to after entering the place. I had a couple of small fish cakes and some rice, but it was as dry as a pair of old boots. I walked through to the actual buffet area and got a cup of coffee and a couple of peanut cookies, which were lovely. That was where I saw the 75 year old man in camouflaged cargo trousers, a tee shirt and flat cap, he looked peachy. I walked along the open deck past the people lying in the sun and my attention was drawn to an elderly couple, she had tattoos up and down both arms, a younger girl in her forties, who was similarly decorated and a boy, who appeared to be the grandson. The Grandma was shouting at the boy to f**k off and to stop pestering her. You never know, she may be related to camouflage man. The standard of dress today is mostly track suit bottoms, dark blue cropped sports trousers or stretch sweat trousers, very few men are wearing proper trousers, and as for their choice of footwear, the massive shiny brand new white trainers are unusually well represented. I went back to my cabin as the stench of diesel is far preferable to their company. We sail in 3 hours for the short hop to Cadiz, so it is tapas and sherry tomorrow I hope.

The Captain has just made his pre-departure address which I finally managed to hear, there is a switch by the desk that turns the announcements on or off, a CC member told me and I have just found it. The ship is fastened to the dock by around 12 ropes at each end, once they are hooked over the bollards they are put under strain with capstans and that holds the ship secure. If the tide rises or falls they are tightened or loosened accordingly. Prior to leaving, the gangways and all the paraphernalia are bought back on board and the majority of the shorelines are allowed to go slack. The port workers then unhook the loose ropes and drop them into the water to be wound back on board by the crew. Just before we leave, the final lines are let go and again bought back on to the ship. The thrusters then start and we push away from the dock, the power of these creates enormous turbulence in the water between the ship and the dock rather like fast boiling water. Then we are off, and that is it for another day.

Tonight is another casual night for dinner, there is a pre dinner show by Journey South, who apparently took part in an X factor TV a couple of years ago, I never watch that show but I am told that they are supposedly very good. I think that I will go and have a listen to them.

We are sailing out past Europa Point lighthouse into the Straits, we should be through the neck in an hour or so and then we will be in Bay of Trafalgar until we reach Cadiz at 7 am tomorrow.

More later

Thanks for all the updates:)

Seems that it will take an unusually long time to get to Cádiz from Gibraltar. We can get there by road in about one and a half hours. Perhaps the ship is going to drift with the currents;)

Nah, they are on their way back here, near Estepona, popping in for a proper 'cuppa' made with boiling water!!!:D

Unfortunately, I arose from my slumbers too late to see Indie passing by:eek: Both Gibraltar and Cadiz for Seville, are popular ports - shame they are so close. I often wonder why they don't do Gibraltar on the way out and Cadiz on return (or vice versa!) and then Lisbon on the way back. Oh well, I don't know how that mileage works.

I did see that a storm is approaching the Bay of B area. Hopefully, they can avoid it. Anyway, the weather forecast for here in Estepona is not looking too good either - showers:eek::eek: But the Indie has had superb weather so far.

I think the Cap'n may well prefer the Radiance class - wonderful sea views from almost everywhere and lovely interior design. But the only one going from the UK is, I believe, the Jewel in the summer to the Baltic. We may well go on her this summer at some point.

Hi Capn, I'm really enjoying your journey, can't wait till we're on there on Sunday. I wonder if you would know, can you swap paperback books in the onboard library?

You can borrow books however they have to be returned at the end of the cruise. I often leave my own books on board once I have read them as I am sure do many other guests. The library is growing in size every time I go back.

The weather was really lovely today in Gibraltar. the temperature on the thermometer didn't get above 16 degrees, but with hardly any wind in the sunshine it felt like spring was coming.

I looked out for Capn amongst all of the indy passengers who were wandering up and down Main Street. I have just read that he didn't venture ashore. Next time maybe.

After work I went up the rock to see the ship leave. I wanted to post a couple of my snaps but I am still trying to work out how to do it. :(

That was just before 6 pm - the ship sailed a few minutes early. Now lets see if I can get the picture of her sailing across the bay with Spain behind and then into the sunset with the Rif mountains behind.

Sorry I keep getting a message to tell me that the 'across the bay' upload is failing. Not sure why. Well at least I managed the piccy of the Indy sailing into the sunset. I was standing just above the Pillar of Hercules spot, I like it because you get a picture that includes 3 different countries, Gibraltar, Morocco and Spain.

and on to Cadiz.....

CIMG9474.jpg.8cec899f49229c324cde3a393fcf73f3.jpg

Update No 34

I did go to see Journey South and they sang various cover versions of popular songs, the show started at 6.45 and it was really quite good, nice voices and not a bad selection of songs. After that I walked along the Royal Promenade and bumped into 4 people from our table, I joined them and after a couple of G & Ts went into dinner. We were last to leave again and the meal was good fun and nice food. After dinner I went up to the Champagne Bar and the Mad Hatters Ball parade was in full swing along the Promenade, this is where the entertainment staff dress up in Alice in Wonderland costumes and parade up and down the street, strange but surprisingly very popular, mind you I think a lot of the passengers would queue up to see an envelope being opened.

Bad news now, Quest was cancelled due to technical problems! The sliding floor on the ice wouldn’t slide, so the technical guys will spend tomorrow fixing it.

We have had several deaths of passengers on board unfortunately. Also there have been several severe injuries include 10 people injured when a male passenger overbalanced on an ascending escalator in Lisbon and fell backwards into the people behind him injuring them quite badly, well badly enough for them all to be flown home from Portugal. There was a suicide last night which was announced with a code A message before dinner, I understand that it was a young man of 23 years who took his life in his cabin somehow. What a very sad waste of life.

Tomorrow’s forecast is mostly sunny with highs of 61/16 degrees.

More later.

Update No 34

I did go to see Journey South and they sang various cover versions of popular songs, the show started at 6.45 and it was really quite good, nice voices and not a bad selection of songs. After that I walked along the Royal Promenade and bumped into 4 people from our table, I joined them and after a couple of G & Ts went into dinner. We were last to leave again and the meal was good fun and nice food. After dinner I went up to the Champagne Bar and the Mad Hatters Ball parade was in full swing along the Promenade, this is where the entertainment staff dress up in Alice in Wonderland costumes and parade up and down the street, strange but surprisingly very popular, mind you I think a lot of the passengers would queue up to see an envelope being opened.

Bad news now, Quest was cancelled due to technical problems! The sliding floor on the ice wouldn’t slide, so the technical guys will spend tomorrow fixing it.

We have had several deaths of passengers on board unfortunately. Also there have been several severe injuries include 10 people injured when a male passenger overbalanced on an ascending escalator in Lisbon and fell backwards into the people behind him injuring them quite badly, well badly enough for them all to be flown home from Portugal. There was a suicide last night which was announced with a code A message before dinner, I understand that it was a young man of 23 years who took his life in his cabin somehow. What a very sad waste of life.

Tomorrow’s forecast is mostly sunny with highs of 61/16 degrees.

More later.

Oh my goodness, what a lot has happened. When there are so many passengers aboard, it is not surprising that some become sick but it is especially sad to here about the death of such a young man.

'Journey South' - I remember them, they do have lovely voices.

The Alice in wonderland parade sounds completely random. I wonder if we will have the same sort of thing when we go on the Liberty.

Capn I love your comment about the envelope. You have done too much people watching. :D

Hi Jim......Once again I have been following your journey with great enjoyment. It's always such fun to tag along with you on your numerous trips but must you mention all that marvelous sounding food so often? I really have a thing for mozzarella and tomato.;) Steve would love your kind of port call.....get off, eat good food, get back on, eat more good food. :rolleyes:

Hope your return across the Bay is uneventful and I'll look forward to your next adventure as always. Thanks for taking us land bound ( for now) folks along.

safe return home...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

Oh my Jim, I just noticed your last entry. Such dreadful things to happen on what is supposed to be a happy time. It does give one pause to realize that all isn't perfect when we travel and bad things can happen when least expected. Such a sad ending for such a young life.

Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011...North to Alaska!! A wilderness tour and cruise....sorry Cunard.

Update No 34

. There was a suicide last night which was announced with a code A message before dinner, I understand that it was a young man of 23 years who took his life in his cabin somehow. What a very sad waste of life.

How very tragic. Deepest sympathy and prayers for his loved ones. We're all on the same boat in this life, and we mourn the loss of one of our shipmates, especially one so young.

Requiescat in pace.

On one cruise the elevators seemed always to be full, so I resorted to getting on whenever there was space, no matter what direction the lift was going. After all, what goes up must eventually come down, and on a cruise ship, the opposite is also true. Am thoroughly enjoying your journal, Cap'n! Hubby & I will be on IOS in March. --Hollyfarm

Update No 35

I meant to mention that yesterday evening at around 7.30, Joff and Steve were recording today’s morning show on the Royal Promenade, I have no idea why they do it so early but it makes a mockery of what they say. An example yesterday was that they were talking about Journey South and they said what a good show it was, they hadn’t seen it as it was going on as they were making the recording, the other nonsensical item was their assertion as to how popular and successful the Quest had been, and as I said yesterday the show was cancelled because of a technical problem. So my question is why do treat the passengers like idiots, it is just so embarrassing.

We have had a very slow journey overnight, calm seas and very light winds. There is very little distance between Gibraltar and Cadiz. We have arrived in the harbour and it seems that we are mooring in the heart of the old part of the city, it is still dark but there are some interesting old buildings visible in the gloom within a couple of hundred yards of our berth, it is quite a sizeable port which is surprising when you consider it’s proximity to Gibraltar, but then I suppose that with Gibraltar being British, the Spanish aren’t going to use that as one of their major ports, are they?

The sun has just risen and the early cloud cover is quickly burning off, the sky has a delightful pink/blue hue, the town is not as pretty as I expected, it seems quite industrialised but maybe that is just the port area. Our departure has been confirmed as 5pm, whether this early departure will be an advantage if we encounter the anticipated storm remains to be seen, but it is probably better to have a few hours in hand rather than trying to play catch up.

I am just back from the gym and will have a sit on my balcony for an hour or so as it is in full sun. Then I will get dressed and ready to head into town for a light lunch, at least that is the current plan, you need flexibility when travelling otherwise it is easy to get stressed, and that would never do.

I met Des, my table companion at noon and we went off for lunch, we had two glasses of sherry, tapas, some paella, which was the absolute best that I have ever tasted, and two bottles of Rioja Blanca. We followed this with two coffees and brandies. The bill came to 38 Euros, we were very happy, we gave him 45 Euros so he was happy. It was altogether an excellent lunch. The bar was full of local workers, absolutely wonderful. They spoke no English at all and my dodgy Spanish got us through. So I must mark that up as a success. Cadiz is not a pretty town but it is quite pleasant and I would certainly come back. It is 2.30 now and I am back on the ship. I might have a nap although the balcony does look very inviting.

More later.

Update No 35

I meant to mention that yesterday evening at around 7.30, Joff and Steve were recording today’s morning show on the Royal Promenade, I have no idea why they do it so early but it makes a mockery of what they say. An example yesterday was that they were talking about Journey South and they said what a good show it was, they hadn’t seen it as it was going on as they were making the recording, the other nonsensical item was their assertion as to how popular and successful the Quest had been, and as I said yesterday the show was cancelled because of a technical problem. So my question is why do treat the passengers like idiots, it is just so embarrassing.

We have had a very slow journey overnight, calm seas and very light winds. There is very little distance between Gibraltar and Cadiz. We have arrived in the harbour and it seems that we are mooring in the heart of the old part of the city, it is still dark but there are some interesting old buildings visible in the gloom within a couple of hundred yards of our berth, it is quite a sizeable port which is surprising when you consider it’s proximity to Gibraltar, but then I suppose that with Gibraltar being British, the Spanish aren’t going to use that as one of their major ports, are they?

The sun has just risen and the early cloud cover is quickly burning off, the sky has a delightful pink/blue hue, the town is not as pretty as I expected, it seems quite industrialised but maybe that is just the port area. Our departure has been confirmed as 5pm, whether this early departure will be an advantage if we encounter the anticipated storm remains to be seen, but it is probably better to have a few hours in hand rather than trying to play catch up.

I am just back from the gym and will have a sit on my balcony for an hour or so as it is in full sun. Then I will get dressed and ready to head into town for a light lunch, at least that is the current plan, you need flexibility when travelling otherwise it is easy to get stressed, and that would never do.

I met Des, my table companion at noon and we went off for lunch, we had two glasses of sherry, tapas, some paella, which was the absolute best that I have ever tasted, and two bottles of Rioja Blanca. We followed this with two coffees and brandies. The bill came to 38 Euros, we were very happy, we gave him 45 Euros so he was happy. It was altogether an excellent lunch. The bar was full of local workers, absolutely wonderful. They spoke no English at all and my dodgy Spanish got us through. So I must mark that up as a success. Cadiz is not a pretty town but it is quite pleasant and I would certainly come back. It is 2.30 now and I am back on the ship. I might have a nap although the balcony does look very inviting.

More later.

It sounds like an absolutely beautiful early morning. I hope you have photos, Cap'n. :)

I never heard about the Quest Game while aboard the Explorer of the Seas. It wasn't until we were on our way home that a couple on the bus told us about it. I had a hard time believing what they were saying. They didn't like RCI and were going back to their beloved Carnival--might be a good reason why I didn't quite believe them. Anyway, now from what you have said, I realize tthat what they described about the game of Quest is true. I have no idea of what the reasoning would be to embarrass passengers, either. I am very glad that you didn't check it out, as I suggested--that was very smart of you!

I have thoroughly enjoyed every word of your cruise and want to thank you for your wonderful diary. It gives a unique and thorough chronicle of your days at sea--and at port. Thank you again!

Gail:)

Hmm... well, I don't think Quest embarrasses passengers!! They volunteer and most of them have done it before!!

Not our cup of tea, but most of the younger, less sedate passengers seem to enjoy it. Having said that, some of the Cruise Directors encourage more risque behaviour than others. Joff gets it about right we thought:D:D

I believe its more suited to a clubby atmosphere though - in Studio B its more like a game show. I prefer it on the Radiance class in the Lounge.

We once sat in the Lounge with a lovely couple, he was a professional - lawyer, I think!! He ended up taking off his trousers - much to the amusement of his wife - and to our astonishment. And no, he was not drunk - just thought it was a bit of fun:eek::D

We once sat in the Lounge with a lovely couple, he was a professional - lawyer, I think!! He ended up taking off his trousers - much to the amusement of his wife - and to our astonishment. And no, he was not drunk - just thought it was a bit of fun:eek::D

That happened to some people we were with. They volunteered and then got carried away with the competitive element of the game. He ended up in lipstick and a dress. When someone else from his party reminded him that there were photos he went white; "I am senior management" he wailed. There was no unhappy ending.

That happened to some people we were with. They volunteered and then got carried away with the competitive element of the game. He ended up in lipstick and a dress. When someone else from his party reminded him that there were photos he went white; "I am senior management" he wailed. There was no unhappy ending.

:D:D:D That's why I like RCI - you just never know what's around the corner - never a dull moment!!

We are going on the new Queen Elizabeth in September - I shall definitely notice a difference:D

Hope I can cope - hehehe!!

Our weather is about to change apparently - won't be seeing as much of the Rock as we do at present - showery forecast!!:eek::eek:

And I cannot help but wonder what delights the good ol' BofB holds in store for Indie in the next few days.

Hilarious! As someone said, the passengers do volunteer, and it is a bit ribald--sometimes almost risque, but it's all in good fun and adults-only, so who cares? If you're in the mood for that sort of thing, go and enjoy a laugh; if not, go to a different lounge and have a drink. Other than the one group (Journey?) I haven't read any comments regarding the musicians on IOTS. On previous RCCL ships we have enjoyed listening to excellent pianists, classical guitarists, etc. in various lounges. Does IOTS have such groups?

Our weather is about to change apparently - won't be seeing as much of the Rock as we do at present - showery forecast!!:eek::eek:

And I cannot help but wonder what delights the good ol' BofB holds in store for Indie in the next few days.

The Indie certainly had a good couple of days weatherwise whilst she was in this part of the world. This time of the year can be so unpredictable, but when it is good, it is brilliant.

I went for a walk to the top of the rock today and it was still warm - but there were ominous clouds.

Archived