Capnpugwash is off to the Mediterranean

This post is in regards to Steve Davis, the American Activities Manager:

"He seems to be a reasonably pleasant individual but fairly dim, very smiley but no depth of knowledge or apparent common sense. He reports on the Morning TV Show that he went out for lunch in Palma and had a dish of Mussels in a cream sauce and having eaten the entire dish of mussels including those that hadn’t opened, was surprised that his stomach was upset. He had apparently never been warned of this fact. I thought that it was common knowledge or Seafood 101. Maybe I am being harsh but I think that he would be more suited to a job with Barnum and Baileys travelling circus."

I am absolutely appalled at this comment. We are also currently sailing on the Independence of the Seas as we speak although instead of blogging every day, we are thoroughly enjoying our cruise. We find Joff and Steve to be brilliant! Has it ever occurred to you that maybe his "dimness" might be an act, as he is a performer. You should spend time getting to know both Joff and Steve, as they are very down to earth and friendly people. I shall be passing these comments onto both of them.

Rome - The train costs 9 euros return - train journey just over one hour - price includes travel on the underground trains in Rome - great value - we first did this about 8 years ago and hardly anyone from our ship was on the train - last year the train was full of cruise passengers who are getting more and more fed up with the exorbitant ships tours - help on this journey freely available on Cruise Critic. (by the way train is quicker than the much more expensive Rome On Your Own coach tours also offered by cruiselines)

Ooops! Watch out Jim, you're being grassed up by BBQMAN1.

Just for the record, the original method of making porridge was with salt, not too much, just sufficient to give it savor.

It's really the tastiest way of having porridge and I would recommend you try it that way even if it sounds strange, but then so does black pepper and strawberries, until you try them.

On another point brought up, in the UK, jacket potatoes' meaning has evolved. It used to refer to boiled potatoes with skins on (jackets), especially "new" potatoes that are never peeled. With the advent of microwaves, the meaning changed to "baked".

BBQman, please feel free to pass on my comments to Steve.

Stewart, I always have mine with a little salt, it greatly enhances the taste.

Update No 21

My friend turned up just after noon and apparently had a real problem getting into the port as he had no pass to allow access, in a typical Italian way the guard said that it was impossible to enter, then a moment later he relented and with the deposit of a driving licence he was admitted. We stopped on the way out to retrieve his document and drove into town. You can’t walk out of the port as pedestrians are not allowed so it is a cab or the shuttle bus.

Livorno is a typical looking city of north Italy with stucco fronted buildings but it is apparently totally without any visible charm although it does have a nice looking canal running through the centre which appears to be used as a marina for the local yacht owning public. We eventually managed to find a restaurant that was open for lunch, for some unknown reason they all appeared to be closed, which for Italy or any country is certainly unusual. We had a nice lunch of mozzarella with prosciutto followed by spaghetti and tiramisu; it was quite wonderfully simple and was certainly helped by the two and a half litres of vino bianco frizzante and two espressos. The mozzarella was the small bocconcino style; about one inch in diameter and so fresh that they were oozing milk. I think it is the water that makes the coffee so great. We finished lunch at a little before 4pm and I got a lift back to the ship, showing my cruise card allowed us port access.

More later.

Update No 21

My friend turned up just after noon and apparently had a real problem getting into the port as he had no pass to allow access, in a typical Italian way the guard said that it was impossible to enter, then a moment later he relented and with the deposit of a driving licence he was admitted. We stopped on the way out to retrieve his document and drove into town. You can’t walk out of the port as pedestrians are not allowed so it is a cab or the shuttle bus.

Livorno is a typical looking city of north Italy with stucco fronted buildings but it is apparently totally without any visible charm although it does have a nice looking canal running through the centre which appears to be used as a marina for the local yacht owning public. We eventually managed to find a restaurant that was open for lunch, for some unknown reason they all appeared to be closed, which for Italy or any country is certainly unusual. We had a nice lunch of mozzarella with prosciutto followed by spaghetti and tiramisu; it was quite wonderfully simple and was certainly helped by the two and a half litres of vino bianco frizzante and two espressos. The mozzarella was the small bocconcino style; about one inch in diameter and so fresh that they were oozing milk. I think it is the water that makes the coffee so great. We finished lunch at a little before 4pm and I got a lift back to the ship, showing my cruise card allowed us port access.

More later.

Sounds like a delightful lunch , Cap'n.

I wonder have you gone to or heard about a game called Quest played on RCI ships? I would love to hear what you think?

"He seems to be a reasonably pleasant individual but fairly dim, very smiley but no depth of knowledge or apparent common sense. He reports on the Morning TV Show that he went out for lunch in Palma and had a dish of Mussels in a cream sauce and having eaten the entire dish of mussels including those that hadn’t opened, was surprised that his stomach was upset. He had apparently never been warned of this fact. I thought that it was common knowledge or Seafood 101. Maybe I am being harsh but I think that he would be more suited to a job with Barnum and Baileys travelling circus."

I shall be passing these comments onto both of them.

How very kind of you - I am sure it will give them a great deal of pleasure - NOT!! What on earth is the point of upsetting people for no reason?:mad:

I wonder have you gone to or heard about a game called Quest played on RCI ships? I would love to hear what you think?

I quake at the thought of what CP thinks of that game. As far as I am concerned, it is Joe Public at its worst. (We always attend though - not quite sure why, as we always say we won't:D:D) Having said that, Joff conducts the game in a decent manner compared to some CDs!!:D

Update No 21

More later.

I want that lunch.

It sounds like our port security - of the new millenium. People used to be able to fish around the ships, and cars drove around on Saturday nights (a bit scary because one slip and you are driving in the Med). Now you cannot get near the ship without your documents.

Rome - The train costs 9 euros return - train journey just over one hour - price includes travel on the underground trains in Rome - great value - we first did this about 8 years ago and hardly anyone from our ship was on the train - last year the train was full of cruise passengers who are getting more and more fed up with the exorbitant ships tours - help on this journey freely available on Cruise Critic. (by the way train is quicker than the much more expensive Rome On Your Own coach tours also offered by cruiselines)

Mrs M took the words right out of my mouth. The train is the way to go.

Wow - what venom - I think poster's original remarks are very reasonable - most people would know not to eat closed mussels - wouldn't they ?

He said that the guy was pleasant and smiley but lacking in common sense -

which would seem to be a fair assessment - in addition everyone judges the staff? Loads of comments about the good and the bad all over cruise critic - but I have never seen such a ridiculous response to an opinion - which we are all entitled to make. Steve may not be everyone's cup of tea !

I have really been enjoying this thread (novel). It's well written and interesting. I love the details and the images that Capn conveys with words. It's so rare these days. I might have to look through past posts now just to see if other Capn cruises were chronicled as well.

:D

edit: I wanted to point out that update 18 and 19 were identical and I'm wondering if we may be missing an update.

Wow - what venom - I think poster's original remarks are very reasonable - most people would know not to eat closed mussels - wouldn't they ?

He said that the guy was pleasant and smiley but lacking in common sense -

which would seem to be a fair assessment - in addition everyone judges the staff? Loads of comments about the good and the bad all over cruise critic - but I have never seen such a ridiculous response to an opinion - which we are all entitled to make. Steve may not be everyone's cup of tea !

Hmm.... I have just realised that its only his second post!!:eek::eek: I shall give him the benefit of the doubt - gosh, if we all rushed to point out to staff on board the negative posts about them, it would seriously affect staff morale. I just don't 'get' some people. Steve is a perfectly nice young man - we all have our own likes and dislikes - and doesn't deserve to have his attention drawn to negative reviews.

I have to admit its a peculiar thing to do, to run tittle tattling to CDs:confused::confused: Yes, I have shown complimentary reviews to personnel, but never negative ones.

I am absolutely appalled at this comment. We are also currently sailing on the Independence of the Seas as we speak although instead of blogging every day, we are thoroughly enjoying our cruise. We find Joff and Steve to be brilliant! Has it ever occurred to you that maybe his "dimness" might be an act, as he is a performer. You should spend time getting to know both Joff and Steve, as they are very down to earth and friendly people. I shall be passing these comments onto both of them.

Well that is very friendly.

Do you attend Joff's game shows?

Apologies for the double posting, satellite problems, at least that is my excuse. I am not really a game show fan but I did watch Mr & Mrs on the ships tv, he is quite a amusing person.

Update No 22

Dinner was another pleasant interlude and again we chatted until after 10.45 and were among the last to leave, the breakfast buffet was being set up as we departed. I have been very itchy all day today since I got up this morning, there are no bite marks or any sign of a rash so I thought no more about it, at dinner this evening the subject of the current bed bug infestation problem that New York is suffering with came up and I mentioned my itchiness, it turns out that three of us have the same situation which arose today. I mentioned this to Guest Relations and they have started an investigation. I have just been phoned by the Assistant Executive Housekeeper who told me that the bedding had been changed this morning but nevertheless offered to come and change the sheets again. This seemed like overkill especially with them having been done already so I said that I would see how it goes tonight. I have turned the AC a bit colder t see if that helps. I didn’t eat anything unusual yesterday so it remains a mystery; I really hope that it goes away soon or at least that I stop thinking about it.

It is a little before 6am on Day 10 of this cruise and we have just entered the harbour, it seems like a fairly busy port with plenty of ships in various states of being loaded or unloaded, we came to what might be called a swinging pool and turned, 180 degrees in our own length, the three or four bow thrusters are really efficient on the Independence and obviate the need for tug assistance which I imagine would be a cost saving. We are moving towards a long quayside which is in front of a wall bearing the message, “Welcome to the port of Civitavecchia, the ♥ of Italy” in very large letters. It is a very nice greeting, but then I feel that the Italians are a very warm and for the most part, friendly people.

We are mooring with our portside to the dock so I am able to view all of the comings and goings. We already have a dozen coaches parked and waiting for their passengers. The first tours depart in 1 hour at 7.30am which is a truly ungodly hour to be getting on a coach. They will be heading into the heart of Rome in the rush hour traffic and will have a 9½ or 10 hour tour in front of them. I am getting the train to Rome with one of my table mates to have lunch in a trattoria that I used to use when I did business in this lovely city a few years ago. I had intended to just go locally but, in truth I couldn’t ignore the temptation of another Italian lunch at a great, very old traditional restaurant. The meal selected will be very similar to yesterday except that the mozzarella is the larger type, about the size of a large grapefruit. The plan is to leave the ship at 11am which should get us into the city in good time for lunch, and to return on a train at around 4pm. That sounds good to me.

My itchiness has subsided a little overnight, I think the cold blast of chilled air from the AC helped but it is still there, no rash or bites, quite inexplicable. So I will avoid seafood today in case that has been a contributing factor. We are secure alongside now and the grew are setting up the gangways, surrounding them with crush barriers that we actually carry on board for the exact purpose of establishing a secure area. It makes me wonder what other mysterious, but ever so useful items they keep in the bowels of the ship. I am going to shower now and get ready for breakfast at 7.30.

More later.

I have been very itchy all day today since I got up this morning, there are no bite marks or any sign of a rash so I thought no more about it, at dinner this evening the subject of the current bed bug infestation problem that New York is suffering with came up and I mentioned my itchiness, it turns out that three of us have the same situation which arose today. I mentioned this to Guest Relations and they have started an investigation. I have just been phoned by the Assistant Executive Housekeeper who told me that the bedding had been changed this morning but nevertheless offered to come and change the sheets again. This seemed like overkill especially with them having been done already so I said that I would see how it goes tonight. I have turned the AC a bit colder t see if that helps. I didn’t eat anything unusual yesterday so it remains a mystery; I really hope that it goes away soon or at least that I stop thinking about it.

Ciao Capn. I've been enjoying your posts; thanks very much for posting. From my limited experience, it isn't easy to post from sea so I appreciate your efforts.

Regarding the "itchiness" you have been experiencing recently - have you spent any time in the vicinity of olive groves? When I spent five weeks in Italy, the locals told me that the itchyness I experienced (nightly torture) was due to tiny little bugs that flourish in olive groves and bite at night. :confused:

Anyway, when I returned home, I did not bring my luggage into the house. I left it outside in the sunshine for a few hours and later washed small amounts of laundry in hot water, dried at moderate heat. No further problems with itching. Oh, yes, I also sprayed my luggage with Lysol Spray just because it seemed like a good idea.

Looking forward to reading you next post...and I'm sure you're itching to write more :D - Cheers, Salacia

At the beginning of December I also had itchiness - never previously. But it stopped when we were on the ship!! I put it down to the central heating at home.

I think CP is right - its the a/c - or the heating. When I had it, I googled it and there were many other people suffering.

Now wondering whether it could be the washing powder at home. Although its very cold at night here in the Med, so I expect the ship has the heating going full blast.

Anyway, whatever it is, you have my sympathy CP - its very unpleasant.

Joff Eaton and his wife are lovely people. Did you like the 'parrot, not a carrot' line? Does wear off a bit the third time though - hehehehe!! Sorry Joff:eek: IMHO Joff is one of the best CDs around - glad you enjoyed Mr. & Mrs. always get a laugh out of that one.

Waiting for your opinion of Quest though! Don't forget to bring your false teeth. :D:D

[quote name='capnpugwash']My itchiness has subsided a little overnight, I think the cold blast of chilled air from the AC helped but it is still there, no rash or bites, quite inexplicable. So I will avoid seafood today in case that has been a contributing factor. We are secure alongside now and the grew are setting up the gangways, surrounding them with crush barriers that we actually carry on board for the exact purpose of establishing a secure area. It makes me wonder what other mysterious, but ever so useful items they keep in the bowels of the ship. I am going to shower now and get ready for breakfast at 7.30.

More later.[/quote]

Maybe bbqman1 has slipped something into your bed after reading your post about Joff !! Dont think you are on his Christmas card list this year !! pmsl... :D

Update No 23

The deck supervisor just appeared at the cabin door about the itchy subject and said that she would arrange for the bed linen to be changed to that which had not been laundered with detergent, she has also arranged for a team to come and do a bed bug hunt. As the problem seems to be reducing and I think that the absence of bites points to the fact that it is not a bed bug situation. Anyway we agreed that we would do nothing today and see what develops later on and overnight. It is heartening to see the concern that the crew members show in dealing with this matter, it has certainly far exceeded my expectations and has greatly impressed me as well.

The ship has been on red alert for Norovirus since we left Southampton until the night before last when they reduced the alert level to green and started serving canapés and peanuts again in the various bars on board, which is a little more civilised than before. The cost of drinks on RCIL has been discussed before but vodka is $8 and tonic water comes for $2.25 making $10.25 in total. A martini on the other hand is $9, therefore in this economic depression it is only right to save cash and drink martinis.

I left the ship at 11am as planned and Des, from our table came with me. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you to the near to the port entrance and then you have to get another bus or a cab to take you to where you wish to go. There were taxis at the ship as well, the driver insisted that the fare was 20 Euros which was exorbitant for two passengers but we were stuck as the shuttle bus queue was about 200 people at the time. We took the taxi to the station. We bought the 9 Euros return tickets and the train left at 11.41 to Rome Termini. It seems that mid morning to mid afternoon there is one train each hour. It was quite crowded by the time we reached St Peters, where some detrained, then on to Trastevere where some more got off. The next stop was Rome Osteria where we got off. We took a taxi to Via Flavia for 9 Euros and went into the Taverna Flavia. It was just as I remembered it, the owner was the same man, quite a bit older and with slightly less hair. We had a nice table, prosciutto and mozzarella, veal with spaghetti pomodoro and a nice dessert. Two bottles of Frascati, which is the local wine and two very large brandies with our espressos, completed the wonderful meal. We left the restaurant at 3.20 and got a taxi to the station, the driver asked if we wanted a cab back to the ship and he agreed after some hard bargaining to take us all the way for 8o Euros. As we had almost an hour to wait for the next train and we would then face the taxi fare to the ship we thought that this was quite a deal and accepted. An hour later and we were dropped at the shuttle bus stop by the entrance; the security guard wouldn’t let his taxi in to the ship because he wasn’t local. So we paid him and clambered on to the coach to the ship. The afternoon is stunning with the sun low in the clear blue sky and it is too warm to sit on the balcony with a tee shirt on, and this is February 4th. In Rome we saw oranges growing on the trees lining the streets, they are probably toxic with the lead fumes from the cars but oranges on the streets, whatever next!

It is almost 5pm and I am just relaxing getting ready for dinner this evening, after that monumental lunch I will not be eating very much tonight.

More later.

[quote name='capnpugwash']Update No 23

The deck supervisor just appeared at the cabin door about the itchy subject and said that she would arrange for the bed linen to be changed to that which had not been laundered with detergent, she has also arranged for a team to come and do a bed bug hunt. As the problem seems to be reducing and I think that the absence of bites points to the fact that it is not a bed bug situation. Anyway we agreed that we would do nothing today and see what develops later on and overnight. It is heartening to see the concern that the crew members show in dealing with this matter, it has certainly far exceeded my expectations and has greatly impressed me as well.

The ship has been on red alert for Norovirus since we left Southampton until the night before last when they reduced the alert level to green and started serving canapés and peanuts again in the various bars on board, which is a little more civilised than before. The cost of drinks on RCIL has been discussed before but vodka is $8 and tonic water comes for $2.25 making $10.25 in total. A martini on the other hand is $9, therefore in this economic depression it is only right to save cash and drink martinis.

I left the ship at 11am as planned and Des, from our table came with me. There is a free shuttle bus that takes you to the near to the port entrance and then you have to get another bus or a cab to take you to where you wish to go. There were taxis at the ship as well, the driver insisted that the fare was 20 Euros which was exorbitant for two passengers but we were stuck as the shuttle bus queue was about 200 people at the time. We took the taxi to the station. We bought the 9 Euros return tickets and the train left at 11.41 to Rome Termini. It seems that mid morning to mid afternoon there is one train each hour. It was quite crowded by the time we reached St Peters, where some detrained, then on to Trastevere where some more got off. The next stop was Rome Osteria where we got off. We took a taxi to Via Flavia for 9 Euros and went into the Taverna Flavia. It was just as I remembered it, the owner was the same man, quite a bit older and with slightly less hair. We had a nice table, prosciutto and mozzarella, veal with spaghetti pomodoro and a nice dessert. Two bottles of Frascati, which is the local wine and two very large brandies with our espressos, completed the wonderful meal. We left the restaurant at 3.20 and got a taxi to the station, the driver asked if we wanted a cab back to the ship and he agreed after some hard bargaining to take us all the way for 8o Euros. As we had almost an hour to wait for the next train and we would then face the taxi fare to the ship we thought that this was quite a deal and accepted. An hour later and we were dropped at the shuttle bus stop by the entrance; the security guard wouldn’t let his taxi in to the ship because he wasn’t local. So we paid him and clambered on to the coach to the ship. The afternoon is stunning with the sun low in the clear blue sky and it is too warm to sit on the balcony with a tee shirt on, and this is February 4th. In Rome we saw oranges growing on the trees lining the streets, they are probably toxic with the lead fumes from the cars but oranges on the streets, whatever next!

It is almost 5pm and I am just relaxing getting ready for dinner this evening, after that monumental lunch I will not be eating very much tonight.

More later.[/quote]
Wouldn't it be terrible if you found out that it was the gin in the martini that is causing the itching. Or do you take them with vodka?:D

Archived