Capnpugwash is off to the Mediterranean

Update No 4

As I thought the queue for the tickets was over 150 yards long by 8.30, I went to breakfast and emerged at 9.15 to find that the lines had greatly reduced to about 20 people in each of 3 queues. After a 5 minute wait, I had my tickets for my choice of each show. The sky is slightly overcast with a watery sun trying to break through; the air temperature is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Quite pleasant but not sunbathing weather although there is one couple sitting by the pool, totally wrapped up with hats, scarves and heavy coats against the chilly weather, fresh air fans I imagine.

At breakfast this morning we were chatting about tips which prompted me to go to the Guest Relations desk and sign up for the auto tipping programme, just to make life a little easier. It is just $10 a day, or thereabouts and apparently the provide vouchers which I give to my stewardess and waiters to show that I have pre paid their tips, not quite the same as giving them cash but I am sure that I am not the first passenger to do this.

I went up to deck 11 in the forward lifts and walked back along the deck past the pools; it was raining quite heavily and was a little breezy as we have a force 6 blowing across the decks. I intended to take some photos of the climbing wall and the flowrider but it was just too wet to do so and the flowrider was covered with a tarpaulin, strange I thought assuming that it was done because of the rain, when the very function of the machine is to pump large amounts of water to facilitate its’ use. Maybe it is a health and safety matter and they don’t want passengers fiddling with it. I was tempted into Johnny Rocket’s and I had a hot dog and a bowl of chilli, both were delicious. There is a $4.95 service charge which I accepted and I was quite taken aback to be presented with a separate bill for a milk shake, it appears that the cover charge only deals with food and all drinks are chargeable. This certainly isn’t made clear on the menu or on the daily information sheet. But what does it really matter, it wasn’t a fortune but it did irritate me.

At 2.30 there was Whist up in Cloud 9 on deck 14, I got there ten minutes early and even then the room was absolutely packed without any available seats. I rethought my plan and headed down to the Explorations desk at Guest Relations to order a shuttle bus ticket for our visit to Livorno. There was a queue there of about 20 people and only one girl working there; I gave up on that plan as well. Not a very successful afternoon so far but at least the rain has stopped and the sky is a very nice light blue as most of the clouds have disappeared now.

More later

Update No 4

As I thought the queue for the tickets was over 150 yards long by 8.30, I went to breakfast and emerged at 9.15 to find that the lines had greatly reduced to about 20 people in each of 3 queues. After a 5 minute wait, I had my tickets for my choice of each show. The sky is slightly overcast with a watery sun trying to break through; the air temperature is about 50 degrees Fahrenheit or 10 degrees Celsius. Quite pleasant but not sunbathing weather although there is one couple sitting by the pool, totally wrapped up with hats, scarves and heavy coats against the chilly weather, fresh air fans I imagine.

At breakfast this morning we were chatting about tips which prompted me to go to the Guest Relations desk and sign up for the auto tipping programme, just to make life a little easier. It is just $10 a day, or thereabouts and apparently the provide vouchers which I give to my stewardess and waiters to show that I have pre paid their tips, not quite the same as giving them cash but I am sure that I am not the first passenger to do this.

I went up to deck 11 in the forward lifts and walked back along the deck past the pools; it was raining quite heavily and was a little breezy as we have a force 6 blowing across the decks. I intended to take some photos of the climbing wall and the flowrider but it was just too wet to do so and the flowrider was covered with a tarpaulin, strange I thought assuming that it was done because of the rain, when the very function of the machine is to pump large amounts of water to facilitate its’ use. Maybe it is a health and safety matter and they don’t want passengers fiddling with it. I was tempted into Johnny Rocket’s and I had a hot dog and a bowl of chilli, both were delicious. There is a $4.95 service charge which I accepted and I was quite taken aback to be presented with a separate bill for a milk shake, it appears that the cover charge only deals with food and all drinks are chargeable. This certainly isn’t made clear on the menu or on the daily information sheet. But what does it really matter, it wasn’t a fortune but it did irritate me.

At 2.30 there was Whist up in Cloud 9 on deck 14, I got there ten minutes early and even then the room was absolutely packed without any available seats. I rethought my plan and headed down to the Explorations desk at Guest Relations to order a shuttle bus ticket for our visit to Livorno. There was a queue there of about 20 people and only one girl working there; I gave up on that plan as well. Not a very successful afternoon so far but at least the rain has stopped and the sky is a very nice light blue as most of the clouds have disappeared now.

More later

Well,Cap'n, I am certainly enjoying this. It brings me back to my trip to Bermuda aboard the Explorer of the Seas. I believe that the Independence is larger, but there is certainly much that is the same. For some reason, our trek into Johnny Rockets cost us something like $16.00, I can't remember why, but it was something my husband ordered or a couple of somethings, I believe. And it was a surprise to us as well, and like you a little irritating. But then, we enjoyed it, so we just chalked it up and didn't return. Do they have the dancing and singing outside of the diner? We sat outside with a nice view of the sea. I particularly liked sitting in the Viking Crown Lounge, looking out at the wake, but often times those seats were taken. Do you find the same thing?

Keep up the good work, Cap'n, your take on the ship is most enjoyable. I really like the way you are finding the positive as well as the negative. And there really is plenty to like!

Gail:)

Hi jenny wren I have been to St Columb Major, we are in Saltash great for Southampton only 3 hours.

We will be driving up in 2 weeks on Sunday we are on Indy when Capnpugwash gets off.

Can you tell me if the ice shows are still Strings & Freeze Frame? I do hope that they have changed them, although they are amazing. They have been the same shows since the Inaugral cruise back in 2008 and could do with new ones.

I haven't tried the MDR for lunch but I will try it out. The ice shows are unchanged.

Update No 5

As I was a little short on sleep last night, I thought that I would take advantage of the free time that I had and took a little nap, which certainly seems to have recharged my batteries. Our table waiters informed us last night that the menu this evening is Italian based which hopefully will be both interesting and tasty. I have just received a letter advising that between 1am and 4.30am, tonight, the water supply will be cut off as the crew perform emergency maintenance on a 10 inch water supply pipe. I hope that they are more efficient than some plumbers that we have had at home. Doubtless I will find out when I turn on the shower tomorrow morning. It is now just after 7pm and we are continuing almost due south, the wind which has reduced to a force 5 is directly behind us, blowing us along. Our position is just south of Porto and we are level with Salamanca which if I remember correctly was the site of a battle between British forces and those of the French during the Napoleonic War.

One thing that I have noticed on board is the lack of comfortable seating areas and I find that I am spending more time in my cabin than I am accustomed to. There are seats dotted around in some areas linking the two sides of the ship; I feel that there are perhaps 8 or 10 chairs on three decks, which is not that much for 3600 passengers. The promenade has tables and chairs available but these are outside bars and food outlets and are dining room/café type seats which are ok for their purpose but not to sit and read for example.

I am heading to the bar as it is just 7.30 which gives me time for a couple of cocktails before the 8.30 dinner.

More later.

I haven't tried the MDR for lunch but I will try it out. The ice shows are unchanged.

Update No 5

As I was a little short on sleep last night, I thought that I would take advantage of the free time that I had and took a little nap, which certainly seems to have recharged my batteries. Our table waiters informed us last night that the menu this evening is Italian based which hopefully will be both interesting and tasty. I have just received a letter advising that between 1am and 4.30am, tonight, the water supply will be cut off as the crew perform emergency maintenance on a 10 inch water supply pipe. I hope that they are more efficient than some plumbers that we have had at home. Doubtless I will find out when I turn on the shower tomorrow morning. It is now just after 7pm and we are continuing almost due south, the wind which has reduced to a force 5 is directly behind us, blowing us along. Our position is just south of Porto and we are level with Salamanca which if I remember correctly was the site of a battle between British forces and those of the French during the Napoleonic War.

One thing that I have noticed on board is the lack of comfortable seating areas and I find that I am spending more time in my cabin than I am accustomed to. There are seats dotted around in some areas linking the two sides of the ship; I feel that there are perhaps 8 or 10 chairs on three decks, which is not that much for 3600 passengers. The promenade has tables and chairs available but these are outside bars and food outlets and are dining room/café type seats which are ok for their purpose but not to sit and read for example.

I am heading to the bar as it is just 7.30 which gives me time for a couple of cocktails before the 8.30 dinner.

More later.

One thing that bothered me about the Explorer and that is very different from the QM2 is that there are very few views of the sea from the Arcade, maybe none and very few from other areas of the ship. It seemed if you wanted to get a view of the ocean, you had to go to your cabin or to the outside decks, the pool decks or the Viking Crown Lounge. Is it the same on the Independence of the Seas? And if so, does it bother you too?

Hi Capn

I am enjoying your review, I have just booked my summer vacation from Barcelona so I want to hear all about the ports especially what you do in Livorno because it is new to me.

Right now in the Med the weather is unpleasant. Today was wet, but there were some patches of blue sky - and it often happens this time of year that it is warmer outside if you can catch a pocket of sunshine than when you are inside (working :().

Keep your jacket and your brolley handy, but enjoy your trip.

Gail, this is the same, but there is great and easy access to the decks but no windows on the promenade, restaurants and some bars, yes. Other wise it is up top or back to the cabin.

Update No 6

Dinner was very nice and after it the waiters all paraded around and then there was a taped rendition of O Sole Mio which they all mimed very poorly to. Nevertheless we applauded their efforts and everyone was happy. The food on board is very nice, good quality and well presented, not too many vegetables but you can always ask for more and they serve it without any fuss.

I went to the show this evening which was called “Once upon a time”, really excellent voices and very well staged. There seem to be at least 15 cast members. It was a very impressive production which shows Cunard’s and P&O’s efforts up in my opinion. There are definitely more positives than negatives on this ship and probably cruise line. It does seem to be focussed on the US market and clientele which is surprising as the IOTS sails to and from Southampton, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Elevators versus lifts and cream rather than milk are not big things really and on balance I think that RCIL do a very good job. There is a shop on the Promenade that does temporary tattoos and I am quite tempted to go for one, but I will probably wait until later in the cruise to take advantage of the treat.

More later

There is a shop on the Promenade that does temporary tattoos and I am quite tempted to go for one, but I will probably wait until later in the cruise to take advantage of the treat.

Jim

Great to read that you are settled in and appear to be enjoying the trip.

Are you open to suggestions from the followers of your blog re what might represent an apposite tattoo?!:D

Anamaria

There is a shop on the Promenade that does temporary tattoos and I am quite tempted to go for one, but I will probably wait until later in the cruise to take advantage of the treat.

Jim

Great to read that you are settled in and appear to be enjoying the trip.

Are you open to suggestions from the followers of your blog re what might represent an apposite tattoo?!:D

Anamaria

Appreciate the offer but probably not!!

Hi Capn

I am enjoying your review, I have just booked my summer vacation from Barcelona so I want to hear all about the ports especially what you do in Livorno because it is new to me.

Right now in the Med the weather is unpleasant. Today was wet, but there were some patches of blue sky - and it often happens this time of year that it is warmer outside if you can catch a pocket of sunshine than when you are inside (working :().

Keep your jacket and your brolley handy, but enjoy your trip.

Ahoy there ollienbertsmum - I can see yah!! Well, the top o' the Rock is visible from our balcony today.:D Lovely clear day here near Cancelada (Estepona way) - but cold, so I expect you are having the same!! Hopefully, excellent sailing weather for our Capn P!!!

Good to hear that you are enjoying the food Capn - I won't ask how it compares to Cunard, because food is so subjective. I am obviously going to be disappointed in the shows on Cunard, but then I did wonder how they would do 3 shows each evening to the standard of RCCL!!!

When you have some suitable weather, its nice to enjoy the sail-in or away from the helipad.

If you are curious, there are also two private Lounges on board. That is why we mostly travel RCCL - somewhere pleasant to sit during the day. The free drinkies each evening don't interest us half as much. If you want to have a peek, the Concierge Lounge is on Deck 10 between the two elevators - frosted glass windows. That is for Suites and D+ only. It is interior though, without windows. The nicest Lounge IMHO is the Diamond Lounge on deck 14. The entrance is a white door opp the Olive & Twist Bar. Both have state-of-the-art coffee machines - great cappucino available 24/7 - diy.

I do agree about the lack of comfortable seating otherwise - most people seem to sit in the Library or Viking Crown for comfort. I think these ships are more suitable for the Caribbean - the Radiance class would be far more suitable for winter in the Med, but they can't pack in so many passengers:eek::eek: Its all down to the beancounters unfortunately.

One thing that bothered me about the Explorer and that is very different from the QM2 is that there are very few views of the sea from the Arcade, maybe none and very few from other areas of the ship. It seemed if you wanted to get a view of the ocean, you had to go to your cabin or to the outside decks, the pool decks or the Viking Crown Lounge. Is it the same on the Independence of the Seas? And if so, does it bother you too?

That is what bothered me most too as I love to just sit and look at the ocean - but keep the reports coming Cap'n.

I found IOTS exceptionally bad for sea views, in fact I only found one bar where you could sit and look at the ocean. Interesting reports Jim.

Update No 7

I woke this morning at 6.45am to find that we are sailing along the River Tagus into Lisbon; half an hour later having tested that the water has been reconnected, it is still dark as sunrise is due at 7.46am. We are turning around so it seems that we will moor with our starboard side to the port, unfortunate for me as I am on the other side, which affords me a great view of the statue at the top of the hill; sadly I can’t recall if it is Christ the Redeemer or the Virgin Mary. At sea level we have about 300 seagulls circling and diving into the water because our bow thrusters are stirring up the river water and probably circulating some really tasty morsels of food from the river bed. We are alongside now and the engines are stopped now and our lines are ashore 15 minutes early. The sky looks to be clear with just a few wispy clouds reflecting the pink of the rising sun so we may be set for a pleasant day. The forecast is for the temperature to rise to 51/11 degrees which is cool rather than cold and a lot better than we have had in the UK recently. I am off to breakfast now.

Breakfast turned out to be a bit of a mistake, not the meal itself but more my selections. I had porridge and then kippers which were both delicious. The mistake was that, having eaten I went to the gym; I have been tasting kippers all morning. The gym seems very well equipped to my untrained eye, with over 100 different exercise machines and items of torture. I did some rowing and then found an old fashioned type of cycling machine, upright rather than the modern trend of reclining bikes. I can never get on with them. Having completed my tasks I retired to the steam room in the male changing area, it was really nice, would hold about twenty people at a push, having steamed I went out for a swim. It was bracing in the air but the pool was warm and steaming. It has a deep and a shallow end but unfortunately you can’t swim from one to the other as the pool is divided by a swim up counter with stools. I played around for 20 minutes in the deep part and then went back into the sauna, which is adjacent to the steam room but it was too cool for my liking so I reverted to the steam. Having re-warmed myself I took a cool shower and got dressed, it was at this point that I began to regret going up to the gym in my bathing trunks which obviously were still soaking wet and nice and cold, I hadn’t taken any other clothes with me so I fashioned a sarong like wrap, exchanged my locker key for my room key and keeping a firm grip on this hazardously slipping garment, made my way back to my cabin.

Being a port day, the crew are being exercised in a safety procedure; they will do two drills in the 18 day trip. This has just finished and the Captain, Teo something from Croatia just came on the PA and announced himself as “the Captain from the bridge on the big microphone”. He said that the exercise is complete and all crew are to head to the theatre for an annual meeting. He said “I will see you all there in five minutes so don’t be late”. He has a very good sense of humour it seems. I am going to sit on my balcony for a while and listen to a book. I have now found other areas where there are seats in the ship so my earlier complaint is a little unjust but there still aren’t that many.

More later

Ahoy there ollienbertsmum - I can see yah!! Well, the top o' the Rock is visible from our balcony today.:D Lovely clear day here near Cancelada (Estepona way) - but cold, so I expect you are having the same!! Hopefully, excellent sailing weather for our Capn P!!!

. .

It is still raining here. Don't forget that we are British.

There is a nice private area off the solarium - door on each side going forward leads to narrow area, partly glassed-in and seating designed for reading.

May need a blanket, as it is very cool here.

Ollie etc. - clouding over here now. Had a laugh when we disembarked at Gib and saw half of a new terminal building. Manana to the nth degree!!

We have a nice new road at San Pedro..... not quite finished of course!! They just keep giving new dates to open this coast road, which is important for tourism.:eek::eek:

Glad you are enjoying your cruise. There is some artwork not to be missed on Deck 9 aft, it is called "After Magritte" and can be seen from the balcony looking over the central promenade, it is made up of 20,800 spools of thread (there is a wine glass in the middle of the picture). In contrast there is the "Red Paint Spill" picture by the lifts and the "coloured blobs" on the stairwell, both on Deck 9 aft. Cathy

The

Ollie etc. - clouding over here now. Had a laugh when we disembarked at Gib and saw half of a new terminal building. Manana to the nth degree!!

We have a nice new road at San Pedro..... not quite finished of course!! They just keep giving new dates to open this coast road, which is important for tourism.:eek::eek:

Didn't know about the new road. I use the toll road because it avoids delays, and the 'tourism' but it will gets us to Malaga airport for our trip to Barcelona (hooray)

Terminal building does seem to be taking a long time - all those Spanish workers and their long lunch hours probably.

Update No 8

After my exertions this morning, I was quite hungry at lunchtime. The main dining room is closed so I cannot sample the buffet that has been recommended. Instead I ventured up to the Windjammer café; because a lot of people are still ashore there was plenty of room and I was able to stroll around to make an examination, it is almost the full width of the ship, on deck 11 at the very stern and has full height windows affording a great view. If it didn’t get so crowded I am sure that it would be a good venue. I had a small salad nicoise, some mortadella and a chicken drumstick. It was all very nice especially the salad. I followed this with coffee and some sugar free peanut cookies which, as I had been told, were wonderful. I took some grapes and a banana back to my cabin. I walked along the deck to the forward lifts and found that it was raining slightly, not enough to deter the stalwarts in the various hot tubs up there but it will make them feel unpleasantly chilly when they finally get out. The sun has been in and out all morning and when it is out it is very pleasant, I wish that it had stayed out for a little longer.

I tried my hand at a quiz this afternoon and it was being run by a young man from Liverpool who had such a thick accent that he was very difficult to understand but the worst thing was that his questions came from a thick book of pub quiz questions that he could barely read let alone pronounce properly, two planks comes to mind. I think that I will avoid them in the future. The prize was a RCIL biro which I can probably live without.

We have just slipped our moorings and are steaming out along the River Tagus to the open sea, beginning our day and a half trip to Palma de Mallorca at noon on Monday, so we have a sea day tomorrow as we head through the Straits of Gibraltar tomorrow. Tonight is smart casual, and I am unsure what the difference is between that and casual. I suppose that I will find out this evening.

We are fortunate as in the UK at this time of year, it is dark by 4pm yet here it is delayed until 6pm, it is remarkable how much better that makes you feel when there are a couple of extra hours of daylight. We should be adjusting our clocks tonight or tomorrow to go onto European Time which I think is 1 hour ahead, although with the UK shifting their clocks in October I am not too sure. I will do whatever I am instructed to do.

More later.

Update No 8

After my exertions this morning, I was quite hungry at lunchtime. The main dining room is closed so I cannot sample the buffet that has been recommended. Instead I ventured up to the Windjammer café; because a lot of people are still ashore there was plenty of room and I was able to stroll around to make an examination, it is almost the full width of the ship, on deck 11 at the very stern and has full height windows affording a great view. If it didn’t get so crowded I am sure that it would be a good venue. I had a small salad nicoise, some mortadella and a chicken drumstick. It was all very nice especially the salad. I followed this with coffee and some sugar free peanut cookies which, as I had been told, were wonderful. I took some grapes and a banana back to my cabin. I walked along the deck to the forward lifts and found that it was raining slightly, not enough to deter the stalwarts in the various hot tubs up there but it will make them feel unpleasantly chilly when they finally get out. The sun has been in and out all morning and when it is out it is very pleasant, I wish that it had stayed out for a little longer.

I tried my hand at a quiz this afternoon and it was being run by a young man from Liverpool who had such a thick accent that he was very difficult to understand but the worst thing was that his questions came from a thick book of pub quiz questions that he could barely read let alone pronounce properly, two planks comes to mind. I think that I will avoid them in the future. The prize was a RCIL biro which I can probably live without.

We have just slipped our moorings and are steaming out along the River Tagus to the open sea, beginning our day and a half trip to Palma de Mallorca at noon on Monday, so we have a sea day tomorrow as we head through the Straits of Gibraltar tomorrow. Tonight is smart casual, and I am unsure what the difference is between that and casual. I suppose that I will find out this evening.

We are fortunate as in the UK at this time of year, it is dark by 4pm yet here it is delayed until 6pm, it is remarkable how much better that makes you feel when there are a couple of extra hours of daylight. We should be adjusting our clocks tonight or tomorrow to go onto European Time which I think is 1 hour ahead, although with the UK shifting their clocks in October I am not too sure. I will do whatever I am instructed to do.

More later.

So would European time give you yet another hour of day light--or the other way around?

If you couldn't understand the Liverpool young man, how on earth could the Americans. Oh, are there any?

Archived