Capnpugwash is off to the Mediterranean

Always vodka, unless it is a Cunard Vesper which is gin & vodka.

Update No 24

We sailed out into the Tyrrhenian Sea at 7pm and there is not a ripple on the surface of the water. There is a little tail wind measuring force 5; we are on our way due south to Naples for our last stop on mainland Italy. At some stage tonight we will have to head southeast or east to reach our destination. There will be tours tomorrow to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Sorrento on the Amalfi coast. These destinations are respectively only 14, 9 and 32 miles from Naples. Once again some of them are over 9 hours long; I won’t be going on them. I will go into Naples and have a look around and a coffee or two. If the weather forecast for tomorrow is accurate it should be just like today so hopefully we are in for a real treat. We are not due into Naples harbour until 8.30 in the morning and our scheduled departure time is 6.30pm, so some of the tours are going to be tight for time I think.

More later.

[quote name='upwarduk']Sounds as though it will be hot then for the Italy v Ireland 6 nations Rugby in Rome tomorrow.[/quote]

Yes I think it should be pretty nice, shame we won't be there to see the game. It is supposed to be good at the stadium. We have 3 or 4 Premiership football matches on TV today. Yawn.

[quote name='capnpugwash']Yes I think it should be pretty nice, shame we won't be there to see the game. It is supposed to be good at the stadium. We have 3 or 4 Premiership football matches on TV today. Yawn.[/quote]

Just noticed the time!

What are you doing up?

I had that problem once on the QE2, when I headed back to my pit at 0445 hrs after a good session in the Yacht Club.

I wasn't very sure of the protocol when you come across the staff at that time, is it "good night" or "good morning"?

Just woke up early.

Update No 25.

It is almost 7am and it is becoming light, the sky absolutely clear without a cloud and is a very nice pale blue, we must have sailed past Naples during the night as we are now heading ENE back towards the port, our speed is only 12 knots and the breeze is a light force 2 and we are heading straight into it. I have had breakfast this morning and it is now 8.45, the tour buses have already started departing, the weather seems pretty perfect, bright sunshine and a forecasted high of 16/60 degrees. I feel the need to head to the gym today after the excesses of the last two days. I may head ashore later, but then again I may just stay on board and have a lazy day. It is Saturday after all!

Just back from the gym and the ship’s crew are being exercised with a B emergency, which I believe is a fire drill, they have all been told to report to their duty stations and the passageways are packed with them standing around waiting. It is obviously a good thing to drill the crew in all emergencies regularly and as I have previously mentioned, there have been two drills since we left Southampton.

The day continues with glorious sunshine, and 17 miles away in the Bay of Naples is the island of Capri, you can reach it by jetfoil or hydrofoil in less than 30 minutes from this harbour, except in winter. At this time of year the service doesn’t operate in case the weather gets worse in the afternoon and it becomes difficult to get back, what has happened to the spirit of adventure among people, surely you can see that the sea is becoming rough, so you realise that it is time to head back. It seems to be just another sign of the nanny state in which we now live.

The 4½ hour tour of Pompeii costs $60 each, which is roughly £40. It is only 14 miles away and I am certain that a local taxi would take you there, wait while you walked around and then bring you back for £50 or thereabouts, but people just won’t try anything out of the routine. It is such a shame because these things are much better when you do them at your pace rather than that of the tour guide. A prime example is the “Rome on your own” tour yesterday, there is a train to Rome Termini and then you are dropped off at the station, 3½ hours later you will reboard a train and return to Civitavecchia and are transported back to the ship. The price for this is $72 per person, the return train fare, including public buses and underground trains in Rome is only 9 Euros. Why would anyone select the organised tour? It truly makes no sense to me. I am not anti cruise companies at all, but I do hate being taken advantage of. One of our table companions is a Type 1 Diabetic and has been for 35 years, since her pancreas packed up. She went to an analysis of her body, during which she was asked a number of medical questions and had “ECG” type pads stuck to each wrist and ankle. The wires led to a keyboard with lots of flashing lights and the 20 year old youth told her that if she purchased a 30 day supply of tablets from him it would detoxify her entire body, rid her of stress and clear up her diabetes. All this for a mere £200 for the 30 day supply. In the USA I thought they used to shoot snake oil salesmen, now they get employed on cruise ships. I had a similar experience the other day when I had a shave, my medical history was taken, I was asked to rate my stress levels at various times and this was all put down on a form by the assistant. I asked why she needed the information and was told that it enables her to select the correct product for my skin type when she massaged me; she recommended that I purchase some of it as well, naturally. She said that she quite understood when I declined.

There is a girl on the Royal Promenade who does airbrush temporary tattoos, I must get Mug tattooed on my forehead!

More later.

Just to say that our 10 day forecast here in S. Spain is for temps in the low 60s, so it looks as though your luck will be holding for the rest of the cruise until just after Cadiz. Who knows after that?

I don't know if anyone reading this to gain info for forthcoming cruises, has a Kindle. Just to say that I have now learnt to pick up my Hotmail when abroad. I had changed to gmail, as Hotmail seemed to be inaccessible. I think that when I have got to grips with Kindle a bit more, it will turn out to be worth its weight in gold. FREE 3G!!! Just not on a cruise ship (only 2G) - but great when in port or on land!!

I have picked this up somewhere on the boards:

[quote]For the info of European residents, if you are over 65, Pompeii and Herculaneum(Ercolano) are free. (you have to show proof of age at the desk)[/quote]

So even if we took a taxi, we would be saving €!

[quote name='The Real PM']One thing that bothered me about the Explorer and that is very different from the QM2 is that there are very few views of the sea from the Arcade, maybe none and very few from other areas of the ship. It seemed if you wanted to get a view of the ocean, you had to go to your cabin or to the outside decks, the pool decks or the Viking Crown Lounge. Is it the same on the Independence of the Seas? And if so, does it bother you too?

Gail:)[/quote]

Have to say this is what put me off this ship completely. On a day visit I only found one bar in the whole ship with views of the sea !

Glad you are having a good time Cap'n!

Update No 26

I went off into Naples for lunch and found a nice restaurant along the side street to the right of the pedestrian crossing on the main road in front of the terminal. It was very basic but the Captain and two of his officers were in there, one of them had an enormous calzone, and ate it all and the Captain and the other guy had a regular pizza. Being a creature of habit I had prosciutto and mozzarella, spaghetti Bolognese and then a pear and ricotta tart. A litre of house wine at 5 Euros and a brandy with my coffee completed my Neapolitan lunch. It was wonderful, the restaurant is called something Castel Nuevo and it is very close to the port and worth the walk.

I did interrupt the Capitan to congratulate him on having a happy crew and to offer his party an after lunch brandy or grappa. They all accepted a coffee but declined the digestif, so I had it instead. I had my glasses case on the table throughout the entire meal and no-one stole it. This either means that all the stories that are told about Naples are wrong or the thieves who would have stolen them are too blind to see them. Whichever way it is, I had a very nice time. The secure area is typical Italian, there were two armed policemen sitting 20 feet away from the metal detector and x-ray machine, the machine was off so as I walked up I put my metal glasses case on top of it and walked through the arch and of course there was no sound, I retrieved my glasses which could of course have been a gun and carried on. Neither of them gave me a glance. The ship’s security is a lot better thankfully and I put my glasses case/gun through their x-ray machine and it was deemed to be ok.

The sun has been on the starboard side of the ship all day and I believe that we will remain in the shade, which is a pity. I may have a little nap as I have had such a stressful morning. We are due to sail tonight at around 6.30 for Cagliari in Sardinia and we arrive there at 10.30 on a Sunday morning. As it is Sunday I am unsure what may be open in town. I imagine that restaurants will open for lunch and I might take the opportunity to sample Sardinian cuisine, I would be surprised if it was much different to Italian, although it may contain more seafood.

More later.

[quote name='BMT']I don't know if anyone reading this to gain info for forthcoming cruises, has a Kindle. Just to say that I have now learnt to pick up my Hotmail when abroad. I had changed to gmail, as Hotmail seemed to be inaccessible. I think that when I have got to grips with Kindle a bit more, it will turn out to be worth its weight in gold. FREE 3G!!! Just not on a cruise ship (only 2G) - but great when in port or on land!![/QUOTE]

Hello

Just to clarify your Kindle works on board ship while at sea, but only on a 2G network signal?

Thanks

Richard

[quote name='capnpugwash']Update No 26

The sun has been on the starboard side of the ship all day and I believe that we will remain in the shade, which is a pity. I may have a little nap as I have had such a stressful morning. We are due to sail tonight at around 6.30 for Cagliari in Sardinia and we arrive there at 10.30 on a Sunday morning. As it is Sunday I am unsure what may be open in town. I imagine that restaurants will open for lunch and I might take the opportunity to sample Sardinian cuisine, I would be surprised if it was much different to Italian, although it may contain more seafood.

More later.[/quote]

I was interested in the taxi fares in Rome - you paid 20 euro to get to the station :eek: and 80 euro all the way back from Rome. I must try haggling next time.

BTW when we visited Cagliari last summer Monday was the 'day off'. We just followed the road up to the Bastion St Remy and had a lovely view from the top with a coffee and ice cream when we came back down to sea level before re boarding for lunch.

There were lots of coaches waiting at the drop off point for the (free) shuttles ready to take people to Poetta beach. 10 euro for a round trip. They promote this as one of the best beaches in europe and apparently it is a great place for Sunday lunch. You may be a little early in the season, but if I were going back to Sardinia that would be my first choice to spend the day. My husband got frustrated swimming in the ship pools because they are so small.

[quote name='upwarduk']I have picked this up somewhere on the boards:![/quote]

That is interesting. Maybe I will tell my husband we have a wait before we can visit Herculaneum which had been on my '? to do' list this summer.

Another little known fact is that Paris has free entry for all under 26 year old residents of the EEC. When we were with my daughters I was very much in the Vive the blue flag with the yellow stars!! mood. It saved us a fortune.

[quote name='ctcontrol']Hello

Just to clarify your Kindle works on board ship while at sea, but only on a 2G network signal?

Thanks

Richard[/QUOTE]

Sorry - I meant that it [U]doesn't[/U] work at sea. The ship is 2G - Kindle is 3G:( Of course, you can still read books which you have already loaded, but to get internet or load new books, you have to wait until you reach port.

I would stress that I purchased the Kindle in the UK - but I am assuming that the US Kindle works in a similar manner.

We were on the Indie and quite a few people were using them. Do remember to bring a charger though - I had to lend mine a couple of times to those who had not packed one!!!

Hi,
Yes I can confirm that Pompeii and Ercolano ( Herculaneum) are free for Europeans over 65. I was there in November and had to pay 11 Euros at each site. Our Dutch and French friends were free by showing their Identity cards. BTW it is very easy and cheap to get to both sites once you get to the train station. The worst part is the road outside the port. You cross the road to the little kiosk to buy the bus and train tickets, and then get the bus from the middle part of the road.

Update No 27

The Captain has just made his welcome back announcement from the bridge but unfortunately, there is no facility to listen to it on the cabin TV, and I am unable to hear it through the door of the cabin. Tonight, the dress code on board is smart casual, which is confusingly similar to, if not identical with, casual. We have just started to move, sailing overnight to Cagliari, I have never been to Sardinia and am looking forward to seeing it. Reportedly it is a quite beautiful island, whether Cagliari is as attractive will be apparent tomorrow.

Our dinner this evening was excellent, the main course was fried haddock with prawns and although it had obviously been frozen, it tasted wonderfully fresh. We had a great time over the meal and everyone on the table seems to be gelling very well. It really makes such a difference to the enjoyment of a cruise.

The Cruise Compass paper tells me that as tomorrow is Sunday, most shops will be closed. This is a major issue with a lot of people on board but hopefully it will mean that there will be fewer crowds. I am heading ashore at noon to have lunch in a local restaurant, 3 of my tablemates are joining me so I hope that I find a good place and that the food is good. I am sure that it will be.

More later.

[quote name='Mrs Miggins']Wow - what venom - I think poster's original remarks are very reasonable - most people would know not to eat closed mussels - wouldn't they ?![/QUOTE]

Being from the big city south of Milwaukee, I wouldn't have the slightest idea that one shouldn't eat the closed up mussels. (I probably wouldn't order them in the first place as I didn't really care for the ones I have eaten but they were already shelled.)
;)

[quote name='Sauer-kraut']Being from the big city south of Milwaukee, I wouldn't have the slightest idea that one shouldn't eat the closed up mussels. (I probably wouldn't order them in the first place as I didn't really care for the ones I have eaten but they were already shelled.)
;)[/quote]
Mussels are excellent when cooked correctly. I follow Martha Stewart's recipe. You saute shallots in a stick of butter, add white wine, then add the mussels and cook until they have opened--about five minutes. I always try to buy Prince Edward Island Mussels. [B]And if they do not open, do not eat them.[/B] But likewise, [B]if they do not close when you tap them before they are cooked, eliminate them.[/B] That means they are not alivel

I bet you would love them!!!:)

I have never heard of shelled mussels. How are they served?

[quote name='capnpugwash']Just woke up early.

Update No 25.

The day continues with glorious sunshine, and 17 miles away in the Bay of Naples is the island of Capri, you can reach it by jetfoil or hydrofoil in less than 30 minutes from this harbour, except in winter. At this time of year the service doesn’t operate in case the weather gets worse in the afternoon and it becomes difficult to get back, what has happened to the spirit of adventure among people, surely you can see that the sea is becoming rough, so you realise that it is time to head back. It seems to be just another sign of the nanny state in which we now live.

Hi Capn - really enjoying your posts as we are on the next cruise.
We were hoping to travel to Capri when in Naples and were under the impression that a restricted service was in place for hydrofoils/jets between Naples and Capri.

Can anyone confirm whether this is the case or not please as if it is not we will have to arrange going somewhere else!!

Keep up the great posts Capn

Many Thanks
Adam

[I][quote name='capnpugwash']Update No 27[/I]

[I]The Captain has just made his welcome back announcement from the bridge but unfortunately, there is no facility to listen to it on the cabin TV, and I am unable to hear it through the door of the cabin. .....[/I]

In our cabin we had a switch whereby we could listen to Captains annoucements or music at other times....it was under the left hand mirrored cupboard over the dressing table...near where the kettle plugged in...but of course your set up may be a different way round ....however it was in the strip above the dressing table.....:)

Keep up the reports its like doing the cruise all over again !!:)

[SIZE="4"]Really enjoying your on-going review, thank you for posting:)

Would like to add a comment on using your Kindle aboard ship.....I have used mine on our last three cruises and have managed to check my (Hotmail) email account most days. It gives me enormous pleasure not to have to pay the extortionate internet charges on board;)

Sue[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Sue'n'Steve;27825515][SIZE="4"]Really enjoying your on-going review, thank you for posting:)

Would like to add a comment on using your Kindle aboard ship.....I have used mine on our last three cruises and have managed to check my (Hotmail) email account most days. It gives me enormous pleasure not to have to pay the extortionate internet charges on board;)

Sue[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Love to know how you did it whilst at sea!! Mine just couldn't connect to the ship's 2G. Neither could my friend's - but hers was from the US. But I suppose if you were near land and could pick up a 3G signal, that may account for it.

Anyway, now I have my Hotmail compliments of previous poster!! I agree about not paying any charges - long may it last!! Of course, it is called experimental - although they had better not try to take it away from me:D:D

I do receive a lot of free internet on RCCL, so its not too essential for me. Don't understand why so few people are buying the Kindle for the free 3G!!!

Hi Cap'n!
Loving the reviews. We are sailing on the 3rd March on the 11 night Canary trip and were on Indie twice last year. When on in August, we bought the bag of beer deal - the bag and 5 beers for something like $38 and you just went back to the bar with your bag and got it re-filled - something like 6 beers for the price or 5 or some discount as you had purchased the bag. Not sure what it was but wondered if this was still available on board or not? Will save me looking and packing the bag if it isn't!

Many thanks and keep your reviews coming! Makes my 3 + weeks fly in so much quicker reading this daily.

Karen

[SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue][SIZE=2][QUOTE]and have managed to check my (Hotmail) email[/QUOTE][/SIZE] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

I see you can access your emails but can you reply on a kindle?? Sorry but I thought they were just for reading books.

I take my laptop everywhere with me and I will go online, download my messages and then reply off line. Update my blog etc and then go back online just to send. Hopefully that won't be too expensive.

[COLOR=darkslateblue]BMT wrote - [/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkslateblue][QUOTE] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkslateblue]I do receive a lot of free internet on RCCL[/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkslateblue][/QUOTE][/COLOR]

Lucky you - how may I ask?

[quote name='Miss Independence'][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=darkslateblue]BMT wrote - [/COLOR]
[COLOR=darkslateblue][/COLOR]

Lucky you - how may I ask?[/QUOTE]

Platinum members upwards get a voucher- maybe two- in their coupon books onboard with reduced and/or free internet access- a certain number of minutes depending what tier of Crown and Anchor you are.

Archived