The new "unfair" cheap points

FLSteve11

True, although part of that comes from them increasing the amount it takes to get to Diamond as well, which would effect everyone.

The main point I was trying to infer is there have been SO many complaints about the old system being unfair. Most of those complaints by people taking longer cruises. Well guess what, it's still unfair, it's just unfair in different ways then it used to be.

It always depends on whose ox is being gored.

If you take a 5 night cruise to Bermuda from NJ it is more expensive than any of the 7 day cruises from FL. But you get 5 credits:D I realy dont worry about CA points I will get be happy to get out of the piles and piles of snow here in CT in February!

I know! In fact my next cruise is a 5-night to Bermuda at the end of July. (well, unless we book a short one before then) Talk about expensive! *grin*

The difference is small. So can't figure out your reasoning here about "unfair". Totally disagree with you, sorry

I think the OP's point -- evident by the *grins* and *sly smiles* and *winks* -- isn't really that the new system is unfair. It's that under any system there are going to be people that complain it's unfair to them. Under the old system, there were complaints that other people taking the cheap 3/4 night cruises were getting to Diamond too quickly. Now, it's going to be that other people taking TA and Repositioning cruises are racking up a lot of points quickly without having to pay a lot for them. In both cases, people were merely taking advantage of opportunities that were well within the program's rules, but some people that aren't in the same position to take such advantages (either because they don't live in So. Florida where logistically it's a lot easier to take the 3/4 night cruises with no need for airfare or because they don't have the vacation time to do the longer TA and Repositioning cruises) will continue to gripe about the "unfairness" of it all.

I doubt that anybody is spending thousands of dollars to go on multiple cruises with the sole point of it all being to reach D or D+ status and get some free cocktails, a bottle of wine and the use of robes.

But what you seem to keep ignoring is that there are some perks that have real cash value that increases as "status" increases. The balcony discount is a big one. As an Emerald, you can get $125 off a 7 night cruise. But as a Diamond I can get $225. That's $100 cash that stays in my pocket. Or actually, since my BF is D+, it's $250, or $150 cash savings. We cruise several times a year, so that's easily $450/year in savings. If you don't care about saving $450, good for you. But I'll take the money. :D

I don't think anyone cruises JUST for the purpose of their status either. It IS a nice addition to it though once you get them.

I do love how people who want to put down the perks pick out the 3-4 smallest perks on there and act like that is it. The balcony discounts can really add up. As can the drinks if you think of it (how much to buy those on board?) The rest are all nice additions as well, but none of them make or break a cruise. the most important thing is... you're on a cruise!

I think the OP's point -- evident by the *grins* and *sly smiles* and *winks* -- isn't really that the new system is unfair. It's that under any system there are going to be people that complain it's unfair to them. Under the old system, there were complaints that other people taking the cheap 3/4 night cruises were getting to Diamond too quickly. Now, it's going to be that other people taking TA and Repositioning cruises are racking up a lot of points quickly without having to pay a lot for them. In both cases, people were merely taking advantage of opportunities that were well within the program's rules, but some people that aren't in the same position to take such advantages (either because they don't live in So. Florida where logistically it's a lot easier to take the 3/4 night cruises with no need for airfare or because they don't have the vacation time to do the longer TA and Repositioning cruises) will continue to gripe about the "unfairness" of it all.

Yes, Thank you! I'm not sure they can setup a perfect system to make everyone happy. Because there are such variations in the cruises, both in length, cost, and most importantly the people who take them and what they value. Most of the complaints lately are on the old system and the conversion, while acting like the new system is fair. It's not, just better for some compared to others in a different way.

Its the same old story...no matter what you do sometimes there are those who you can never satisfy and just love complaining, when I see that on posts I move on and take those particular post with less than a grain of salt

I don't think anyone cruises JUST for the purpose of their status either. It IS a nice addition to it though once you get them.

I do love how people who want to put down the perks pick out the 3-4 smallest perks on there and act like that is it. The balcony discounts can really add up. As can the drinks if you think of it (how much to buy those on board?) The rest are all nice additions as well, but none of them make or break a cruise. the most important thing is... you're on a cruise!

If you add up the adult beverages everyday in the CL, add up the discount book, add up the D+ cruise discount and all the other "little" perks in truly can add up. So anyone who is ignorant enough to use a quote about "steerage" well just another post that I ignore IMHO;)

If you add up the adult beverages everyday in the CL, add up the discount book, add up the D+ cruise discount and all the other "little" perks in truly can add up. So anyone who is ignorant enough to use a quote about "steerage" well just another post that I ignore IMHO;)

I quite agree. I am one that does transatlantics and cruise because I love cruising. I don't know where Steve gets his prices for suites from? A transatlantic for me normally involves flying to a port in Europe I am from the UK and then a transatlantic flight back. The other way will also include a night stay in a hotel due to the time difference. So taking in your cruise fare, transfers, hotel and flight divided by the nights at sea can be quite costly but also can offer great value for money. I meet great people and enjoy the sea days and yes I am Diamond plus. Kimberley

hey, i thought of that when i saw the new plan rolled out.. and i was ticked off that i did not jump on that jr suite a year ago.. but the money did not seem worth the limited amount of perks that you got.. so we stayed with what we booked.

I long for the good old days when status did not matter on these boards or on the ship....RCI you've created a monster.....;):D

Absolutely agree ;)!

But I also think that it would be better if 1:st, 2:nd and 3:rd class were implemented, not on basis of what you pay, but on your social status ;)

Divorced people would be placed in 2:nd class, Married for more than 20 years in 1:st and everyone else in 3:rd. (Unmarried couples would not be allowed onboard at all, the lack of moral on cruises is something that should be dealt with... People are actually DRINKING and engaging in sex on these cruises!) That is something horrible!

You don't HAVE to spend much money on a cruise if you don't want to. To be honest, you could spend 0$ (if you don't tip anyone). After the tips it's all discretionary spending. If you don't drink, and don't gamble (or buy pictures) you can get by on very little money and still have entertainment, 3-meals and non-alcoholic drinks.

Our spending can fluctuate, on one cruise we spent quite a lot, on another cruise we barely spent enough to cover our OBC (including the tips) and ended up with $22 seapass bill

At this point, which you are correct in your thinking, is exactly why RCCL claims to be moving the Mariner of the Seas from the West Coast run, to the European run, with Galveston being it's new winter port.

The reason stated by Royal Caribbean, of why it no longer has any ships on the West Coast for a Mexican Riviera run is that no one was spending enough money onboard.....for drinks, gambling, spa treatments, and the list goes on.....to make the ship profitable. By the way, it ran full most every week on the MR run.

And then we ask, why did they take the Monarch away from the West Coast, as, and I will quote the ex-President (Jack Willaims) "We have two cash cows, one being the Sovereign of the Seas, doing 3/4 night runs out of Florida, and the other being the Monarch of the Seas, doing 3/4 night runs out of California."

So, your point is well taken, but what Royal Caribbean wants, is for it's ships to be in places where people will spend money onboard, as well as the ticket purchased to have a cabin.

And, I guess that the East Coasters, and Europeans have a ton more money to spend onboard than that of the West Coasters, who obviously are "cheapskates" or Royal Caribbean would not have pulled their ships out.

Their main reason is different but I will not go into it here.

The OP was trying to make a point about short vs long cruises under the new point system. Now, people on the East Coast will cruise more often than those on the West Coast, as we now have to fly a long way to cruise with Royal Caribbean.

There is not a cruise line out there that has a better loyalty program than that of Royal Caribbean. For all of the shortcomings of the old or new program, please give me an example of a better program offered by........any cruise line.

I didn't mean to sidetrack this thread, but the Steve's are part of the reason the Royal Caribbean will shy away from any area that is not willing to spend money onboard......to help make them profitable.

And, now back to the point of cruise credits!!:);)

Rick

You don't HAVE to spend much money on a cruise if you don't want to. To be honest, you could spend 0$ (if you don't tip anyone). After the tips it's all discretionary spending. If you don't drink, and don't gamble (or buy pictures) you can get by on very little money and still have entertainment, 3-meals and non-alcoholic drinks.

Our spending can fluctuate, on one cruise we spent quite a lot, on another cruise we barely spent enough to cover our OBC (including the tips) and ended up with $22 seapass bill

You know, it occurred to me to put those kind of disclaimers in my own post about how being on the ship more days doesn't always mean more spending, but on average . . . blah, blah, blah. But I figured most people were smart enough to figure that out without me telling them.

You know, it occurred to me to put those kind of disclaimers in my own post about how being on the ship more days doesn't always mean more spending, but on average . . . blah, blah, blah. But I figured most people were smart enough to figure that out without me telling them.

Yep, very true. I wouldn't have brought it up either except you specifically made a point that more days on board meant more days spending. So wanted to remind that it doesn't really mean that. It depends so much on the spending habits of the people on the cruise (Plus, that always seems to skip the mind of people reading posts, no matter how smart they are sometimes. Sadly I have been surprised by posts far too often *grin*)

Yep, very true. I wouldn't have brought it up either except you specifically made a point that more days on board meant more days spending. So wanted to remind that it doesn't really mean that. It depends so much on the spending habits of the people on the cruise (Plus, that always seems to skip the mind of people reading posts, no matter how smart they are sometimes. Sadly I have been surprised by posts far too often *grin*)

Ah, but that's where you're wrong - more days onboard most certainly does mean more days spending. Some individual passengers may not spend anything on a given day, but there will be passengers spending money every day. Anyway, I'll let it drop, because you really just picked up on a side-note of my main point, which was that the new system doesn't get you to Diamond in transatlantic suites much faster than the old system did.

Ah, but that's where you're wrong - more days onboard most certainly does mean more days spending. Some individual passengers may not spend anything on a given day, but there will be passengers spending money every day. Anyway, I'll let it drop, because you really just picked up on a side-note of my main point, which was that the new system doesn't get you to Diamond in transatlantic suites much faster than the old system did.

True, although part of that is they added the equivalent of 2 cruise credits to the length of getting to Diamond then in the past (not just a shift to days at sea). The issue also was of cheapness, and the comparison of it to other methods of gaining towards Diamond at this point. They made it a little easier to get to Diamond for them, and made it harder for most other types of cruises, for the equivalent price. Besides, overall it didn't matter anyway in comparison to the 3/4-day cruises, as they were doing multiple cruises to get to the same point so you had about the same number of days in spending on the old system. You just didn't get the extra bonus now of more days, AND you got to do it in much better accomodations. (Let's face it, I would much rather spend 14 days in a suite, then 15 days in a cramped 120sq ft cabin *grin*) You now need 27 regular 3-nighters to get to Diamond (or 14 in suites, which generally run maybe half the price of a cheap transatlantic), and just 3 transatlantics. If we want to step further, it takes just 7 transatlantics to get to Diamond Plus now. (I only pick on transatlantics because they're generally cheaper, but any longer cruise in a suite will do) Where you would need 59 regular 3-nighters to get there. (That should slow those weekenders down *sly grin*)

My main point really was they just shifted what makes it easier/harder to gain in the loyalty program. No matter how much people now say it's fair, and the old system wasn't. It's not. It's just different.

Since there have been a lot of complaints about the conversion process from people taking longer cruises. I decided to show up the new "unfair" system that we have now put into place.

Yes, believe it or not, like every system and policy, there are some fair points to it, and unfair points to it.

For all the complaints about the "cheap 3/4 night cruisers" racking up credits. I decided to look at the NEW cheap point gainers... transatlantics! Yep, for all the many long cruiers complaints, those now get the cheap points gainers. Forget the 3 nighters, they don't hold a candle to the mass point gainers that you can get now. *grin*

For example:

14-Night transatlantic on Grandeur, in a suite - $1249

Yep!! You can get 28 points for just $1249. Now this is the cheapest of them, but you can do a 13-night for $1349, and a 14-night for $1399. So it's not an isolated incident. Forget the 3-nighters getting into Diamond in 5 cruises, you can now do it in 3. And for just as cheap (if not cheaper). Just means you will be "stuck" on a cruise ship for more days. *sly grin*

Actually I shouldn't pick on transatlantics alone, as long repositioning cruises do just as well.

So can we now please put the cries of the old unfair system to bed, because we now have the new winners of the cheap cruise point getters. *wink*

(And yes, in a couple years when my wife gets more vacation time, we hope to be one of them! *sly smile*)

Whoa - hang on a minute. Do I have this right? You are saying it wasn't right that those doing longer cruises including transatlantics, used to complain that the 3/4 night cruisers got the same points as, say, an 11 night?

But now the shoe is on the other foot, you are now complaining that those longer cruisers are getting more points. Oh how unfair is that?:rolleyes:

How is it unfair to get 3 points for a 3 nighter, 7 for a 7, 14 for a 14? How much more fair could they do it? Apart from making it dependent on how much total spend including onboard spends.

All those who previously did the 3 to 4 day cruises do seem to have done the best out of the conversion - how many people on here are jumping for joy that they just jumped up to D+??? There was the most arrogant post on another thread yesterday that asked why everyone was moaning and they should just quit and accept it for what it was - he then added - by the way, he got upgraded to D+ by the conversion!!!!!

Yes, we do transatlantics and love them (suites is the way to go;)) - but we have also done Xmas and New Year - and they are about triple the price of transatlantics. Not sure where you are getting your price quotes from but take a look at the cost of doing a transatlantic on Liberty in October 2011 - it will make your eyes water! Add to that the cost of transatlantic flights - one ways aren't cheap.

We are not in a position to take those 3/4 day cruises, a lot of people aren't in a position to do transatlantics. We cruise to fit our lifestyle and what we like doing. Guess you do too.

We like the transatlantics - and we do them for that reason - we haven't changed just because it will give us more points (although some might I guess, better start booking ours earlier).

Addict, Nobody got upgraded to D+ as a result of the conversion. If you were just short before, you were just short after. The only people who changed categories were those who had 8 or 9 credits and ended up upgraded to the new Emerald status or those who had 100 or more credits and were upgraded to the new Pinnacle status.

Absolutely agree ;)!

But I also think that it would be better if 1:st, 2:nd and 3:rd class were implemented, not on basis of what you pay, but on your social status ;)

Divorced people would be placed in 2:nd class, Married for more than 20 years in 1:st and everyone else in 3:rd. (Unmarried couples would not be allowed onboard at all, the lack of moral on cruises is something that should be dealt with... People are actually DRINKING and engaging in sex on these cruises!) That is something horrible!

We have been married 64 years what class would we be (be nice)? Maybe class 1+.;)

Addict, Nobody got upgraded to D+ as a result of the conversion. If you were just short before, you were just short after. The only people who changed categories were those who had 8 or 9 credits and ended up upgraded to the new Emerald status or those who had 100 or more credits and were upgraded to the new Pinnacle status.

That is the way it should have been, so your point is well taken that if you were Diamond before the conversion, you would still be Diamond after the conversion. If you had 23 cruises, the conversion would put you short of D+.

The two new tiers are Emerald and Pinnacle Club. Nothing else should have changed.

Rick

Look everybody the chages they made is good why are people on this thresd making a big deal off it this,the change been made there turning back so deal with it if not there are other cruise companys out there.Thanks for the change i made diamond plus

Perhaps I misunderstood what this person was saying? "Thanks for the change I made diamond plus" - sounds like he didn't expect to.

True, although these are not last minute fares, this is what you can get right now with plenty of time to plan out airfare. Plus for some they are half local (local to one side) so only need 1-way *grin*

It's still a very cheap way to gain a LOT of points without having to do a lot of work, or spend a lot of money.

I would guess that the cruise line makes a higher per diem profit on TA cruises than on a short 3 night cruise.

More money spent in Specialty restaurants

More money spent on Drinks

More money spent in Casino

More money spent in the Spa

The mass market cruise lines are not making that much money on the cabin fare. They make the money on the ancillary services.

You are right, that you could go on a cheaply priced per night sailing on a repositioning, but would you really want to spend 14 nights trying not to spend any extra money? It would have been much easier to do that on a 3 night cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Archived