The new "unfair" cheap points

FLSteve11

Since there have been a lot of complaints about the conversion process from people taking longer cruises. I decided to show up the new "unfair" system that we have now put into place.

Yes, believe it or not, like every system and policy, there are some fair points to it, and unfair points to it.

For all the complaints about the "cheap 3/4 night cruisers" racking up credits. I decided to look at the NEW cheap point gainers... transatlantics! Yep, for all the many long cruiers complaints, those now get the cheap points gainers. Forget the 3 nighters, they don't hold a candle to the mass point gainers that you can get now. *grin*

For example:

14-Night transatlantic on Grandeur, in a suite - $1249

Yep!! You can get 28 points for just $1249. Now this is the cheapest of them, but you can do a 13-night for $1349, and a 14-night for $1399. So it's not an isolated incident. Forget the 3-nighters getting into Diamond in 5 cruises, you can now do it in 3. And for just as cheap (if not cheaper). Just means you will be "stuck" on a cruise ship for more days. *sly grin*

Actually I shouldn't pick on transatlantics alone, as long repositioning cruises do just as well.

So can we now please put the cries of the old unfair system to bed, because we now have the new winners of the cheap cruise point getters. *wink*

(And yes, in a couple years when my wife gets more vacation time, we hope to be one of them! *sly smile*)

Since there have been a lot of complaints about the conversion process from people taking longer cruises. I decided to show up the new "unfair" system that we have now put into place.

Yes, believe it or not, like every system and policy, there are some fair points to it, and unfair points to it.

For all the complaints about the "cheap 3/4 night cruisers" racking up credits. I decided to look at the NEW cheap point gainers... transatlantics! Yep, for all the many long cruiers complaints, those now get the cheap points gainers. Forget the 3 nighters, they don't hold a candle to the mass point gainers that you can get now. *grin*

For example:

Yep!! You can get 28 points for just $1249. Now this is the cheapest of them, but you can do a 13-night for $1349, and a 14-night for $1399. So it's not an isolated incident. Forget the 3-nighters getting into Diamond in 5 cruises, you can now do it in 3. And for just as cheap (if not cheaper). Just means you will be "stuck" on a cruise ship for more days. *sly grin*

Actually I shouldn't pick on transatlantics alone, as long repositioning cruises do just as well.

So can we now please put the cries of the old unfair system to bed, because we now have the new winners of the cheap cruise point getters. *wink*

(And yes, in a couple years when my wife gets more vacation time, we hope to be one of them! *sly smile*)

Just to play devil's advocate, the big difference is, those that take advantage of last minute 3/4 nighters are usually locals who don't have transportation costs to get there. With a transatlantic, nobody is local, and last minute air fare is usually at a premium. Even if you plan ahead, air fare could be close to the cost of the cruise.

I too can't wait to be part of that particular class of cheap cruise point getters. I drool over those transatlantics every time I go destination browsing.

My wish is to take a Spring and a Fall transatlantic, so I can use the round trip air fare:D

Just to play devil's advocate, the big difference is, those that take advantage of last minute 3/4 nighters are usually locals who don't have transportation costs to get there. With a transatlantic, nobody is local, and last minute air fare is usually at a premium. Even if you plan ahead, air fare could be close to the cost of the cruise.

I too can't wait to be part of that particular class of cheap cruise point getters. I drool over those transatlantics every time I go destination browsing.

My wish is to take a Spring and a Fall transatlantic, so I can use the round trip air fare:D

True, although these are not last minute fares, this is what you can get right now with plenty of time to plan out airfare. Plus for some they are half local (local to one side) so only need 1-way *grin*

It's still a very cheap way to gain a LOT of points without having to do a lot of work, or spend a lot of money.

True, although these are not last minute fares, this is what you can get right now with plenty of time to plan out airfare. Plus for some they are half local (local to one side) so only need 1-way *grin*

It's still a very cheap way to gain a LOT of points without having to do a lot of work, or spend a lot of money.

It's still not as cheap as the 3-4 night cruise scenario was under the old system. For $1249, I could get 5 three night cruises and be halfway to Diamond, under the new system I would only be 35% of the way.

I never considered taking a cruise hard work. I find it rather enjoyable:D.

Well this pleases me since over 6 months ago we booked two different tranatlantics. With these 2 booked we would of been diamond but now we move to emerald on one and stay at emerald after finishing the second one. I did not, even 6 months ago get a rate as you have listed, they both are quite abit more for balcony rooms. Makes me want to go take a look. Since we have to fly other than Galveston we tend to like the TA, not to mention as you say they are a extremely great value.

Not necessarily half local since many of us must first fly to Florida to board.

It's still not as cheap as the 3-4 night cruise scenario was under the old system. For $1249, I could get 5 three night cruises and be halfway to Diamond, under the new system I would only be 35% of the way.

True, although part of that comes from them increasing the amount it takes to get to Diamond as well, which would effect everyone.

The main point I was trying to infer is there have been SO many complaints about the old system being unfair. Most of those complaints by people taking longer cruises. Well guess what, it's still unfair, it's just unfair in different ways then it used to be.

This is somewhat true, but not quite a "new" way to get to Diamond quickly. In the new system, you can get there with three transatlantic cruises in a suite. Under the old system, three TAs in a suite would get you 9 credits, so not quite Diamond, but very close. So the difference in regard to how quickly transatlantic cruises will boost you up is not that big.

Plus - a significant part of their revenue is from onboard spending, and on a 14 night cruise, that's 14 nights of spending. :)

Can't agree with you on this Steve, because out of our 19 cruises that were 11+ nights or longer...........only 2 were transatlantic cruises and they were by no means cheap.

I know your intentions are good.........so keep trying!!:D

It's amazing to me how caught up in the points system people get. You all do realize that until you get to Pinnacle that the benefits are pretty cheesy? Even for Diamond Plus. ESPECIALLY considering what you spent on all the cruises to get there.

Yippie...a robe to use onboard (not own)

Yippie...a behind the scenes tour

Yippie...a crappy boarding gift

Yippie...a concierge lounge where I can look down on others as though they are from steerage.

The benefits just aren't worth complaining or arguing about. It's kind of like my Speedway gas card. I spend $20,000 in gas to get a $20 gift card. Hardly worth the effort.

My $.02

(I am Emerald and 11 points away from Diamond...yippie...)

You all do realize that until you get to Pinnacle that the benefits are pretty cheesy? Even for Diamond Plus. ESPECIALLY considering what you spent on all the cruises to get there.

Yippie...a concierge lounge where I can look down on others as though they are from steerage.

The benefits just aren't worth complaining or arguing about........

I doubt that anybody is spending thousands of dollars to go on multiple cruises with the sole point of it all being to reach D or D+ status and get some free cocktails, a bottle of wine and the use of robes.

But what you seem to keep ignoring is that there are some perks that have real cash value that increases as "status" increases. The balcony discount is a big one. As an Emerald, you can get $125 off a 7 night cruise. But as a Diamond I can get $225. That's $100 cash that stays in my pocket. Or actually, since my BF is D+, it's $250, or $150 cash savings. We cruise several times a year, so that's easily $450/year in savings. If you don't care about saving $450, good for you. But I'll take the money. :D

And your right too!:)

Why would you look down on others while in the Concierge Lounge? Actually you'd be surprise at how many "steerage" guests you will find in the Concierge Lounge and they are lovely people.

True, although part of that comes from them increasing the amount it takes to get to Diamond as well, which would effect everyone.

The main point I was trying to infer is there have been SO many complaints about the old system being unfair. Most of those complaints by people taking longer cruises. Well guess what, it's still unfair, it's just unfair in different ways then it used to be.

The difference is small. So can't figure out your reasoning here about "unfair". Totally disagree with you, sorry

It's amazing to me how caught up in the points system people get. You all do realize that until you get to Pinnacle that the benefits are pretty cheesy? Even for Diamond Plus. ESPECIALLY considering what you spent on all the cruises to get there.

The benefits just aren't worth complaining or arguing about. It's kind of like my Speedway gas card. I spend $20,000 in gas to get a $20 gift card. Hardly worth the effort.

My $.02

Are you D or D+ BY ANY CHANCE???

Why would you look down on others while in the Concierge Lounge? Actually you'd be surprise at how many "steerage" guests you will find in the Concierge Lounge and they are lovely people.

Very true, but the sad fact is a few rotten apples spoil the bushel. In all honesty we have met a lot more good folks than we have snooty folks in the CL. Probably because we choose not to mingle with the snoots:eek:

Can't agree with you on this Steve, because out of our 19 cruises that were 11+ nights or longer...........only 2 were transatlantic cruises and they were by no means cheap.

I know your intentions are good.........so keep trying!!:D

Hahaha I know! I just got really tired of all the complaints about the old system being so easy for short cruisers, and the conversion process, so I wanted to point out that it's not fair now either. Just different.

This is now the easiest way to get up to D/D+ (I believe, could be wrong), and there are people who take lots of transatlantics. But we will still hear about people (including those who took them) complaining about the old system and how people got to where they are, and the "unfairness" of the conversion system. I figured if I played up the new system inequalities (and trust me, I played it up *grin*), some people will realize it will never be fair. It's just...different.

Heck, I'm pay almost as much for my 5-night Bermuda cruise this summer, in an inside cabin, as I did for my balcony 9-night cabin last year. Yet would gain almost twice as many points for the latter.

For example:

I think you missed the best one. Take a round the world cruise in a suite and with only one cruise you will make Diamond Plus.

Well this pleases me since over 6 months ago we booked two different tranatlantics. With these 2 booked we would of been diamond but now we move to emerald on one and stay at emerald after finishing the second one. I did not, even 6 months ago get a rate as you have listed, they both are quite abit more for balcony rooms. Makes me want to go take a look. Since we have to fly other than Galveston we tend to like the TA, not to mention as you say they are a extremely great value.

I have to say, these were the rates i dragged up lookingtoday. There ARE more expensive ones of course, but if you want to "game the system" now, you can do it just as easily as you used to with 3 nighters. Just different people doing it now

This is somewhat true, but not quite a "new" way to get to Diamond quickly. In the new system, you can get there with three transatlantic cruises in a suite. Under the old system, three TAs in a suite would get you 9 credits, so not quite Diamond, but very close. So the difference in regard to how quickly transatlantic cruises will boost you up is not that big.

Plus - a significant part of their revenue is from onboard spending, and on a 14 night cruise, that's 14 nights of spending. :)

You don't HAVE to spend much money on a cruise if you don't want to. To be honest, you could spend 0$ (if you don't tip anyone). After the tips it's all discretionary spending. If you don't drink, and don't gamble (or buy pictures) you can get by on very little money and still have entertainment, 3-meals and non-alcoholic drinks.

Our spending can fluctuate, on one cruise we spent quite a lot, on another cruise we barely spent enough to cover our OBC (including the tips) and ended up with $22 seapass bill

Archived