What constitutes buffet line-cutting?

Julitta

I don't have a problem with letting someone grab something they have forgotten, we've all done that. I do have a problem with the person in front of me suddenly letting five members of their family in the line after we've all been standing there for 15 minutes.

Last month on the Pride I was in the mexican buffet line. I grabbed my tray, silverware and bowl (for my wonton soup). I moved along the line and filled my plate...when I got to the end (the mexican section is only about 10 ft long)I realize I forgot to put the soup in my bowl..I turn around and walk back to the soup..about 5 people back in line and ask the gentleman if I can squeeze in front of him and grab some soup as I forgot to fill the bowl..he was kind enough to actually fill it for me. Afterward, heading back to my table, I thought..damn, I just cut in line like the people I talk about..lol.

wonton soup in a Mexican bufet:eek::D

Bill

...... Use common sense I guess is what I'm saying.
Exactly! There is a big difference between barging into the middle of a line and walking around the place where the line is backed up at a spot where you don't want anything. If you walk around to a big open space further down, you are not cutting off anyone else.

Also, it is nice when people use common courtesy as well as common sense. Most who have common sense have no objection at all if someone who has forgotten one item waits for a gap in the line, then asks "Excuse me, would it be okay with you if I just ......".

Big difference between those who politely ask you for permission to reach in for one item and those who just shove their way in front of you.

What drives me crazy is to wait patiently in line. Then the person in front of you who has been waiting too. takes forever to decide what to get. What in the heck were they thinking for the time it took to get to the food. Why can they not make a simple choice?

The problem, really, isn't the people in line. It's the poor design of the buffet. They need to get with the times and drop the linear design and go wtih the action-station concept. I've seen lunchtime hot buffets in bodegas that are more efficient that the Lido buffet on CCL.

I wish they would relocate the salad bar and make it a separate entity. I don't eat salad and just want some hot food and the wait for the picky people scrutinizing every leaf of lettuce, every slice of tomato is agonizing at times and if I cut straight to the hot items, the dirty looks and nasty comments will be forthcoming. If the salad eaters would just speed it up, the buffet line would move a lot faster. I have sailed on ships where the salad bar is in a different area from the hot items and it was great.

I don't get it really. Why do some consider it line cutting if I use the passing lane when you are stopped too long at an area I could care less about?? If you make your decision quickly, I'll stay where I am but linger too long and I'm going ahead.

Guess it's a good thing I despise buffets and only make an appearance in the morning for some coffee and cereal.;)

wow maybe we should just eat in the MDR. Sit down order eat leave...seems better

It has extremely limited hours for meals other than dinner. In fact, it's not open for lunch when the ship is in port.

Believe it or not, most people actually do use common sense and display a modicum of good manners. It's not a total free-for-all. This issue, like all issues regarding standards of behaviour, gets blown out of proportion on the internet because no one wants to find out that they are rude when they believe they've been completely mannerly.

On the Victory it was an everyday occurrence to be waiting in line, have someone come up and say "I'm just grabbing a tray", for example, and then suddenly not only did they have a tray, they handed trays to seven other family members who then stood in FRONT of you without moving. :mad:

THAT'S what cutting in line means!

I wish they would relocate the salad bar and make it a separate entity. I don't eat salad and just want some hot food and the wait for the picky people scrutinizing every leaf of lettuce, every slice of tomato is agonizing at times and if I cut straight to the hot items, the dirty looks and nasty comments will be forthcoming. If the salad eaters would just speed it up, the buffet line would move a lot faster. I have sailed on ships where the salad bar is in a different area from the hot items and it was great.

I think it depends on ship class. When I was on Conquest class, it was just as you said, salad bar at the beginning of buffet line. But on Spirit class it actually is seperate, so that was really nice!

As others have said, if there's a made-to-order station at the buffet (burgers, omelets, salads, etc.), I have no problem letting people pass me. Likewise, I'll pass the people waiting at these stations.

And if someone forgot to get something and has a tray full of food, as long as they said are polite about it, I don't mind someone getting in front of me for one item. If I have to do this, I'm sure to ask if it's alright with the other person. It's all about politeness. If you're polite (and you're not trying to cut in line and bring 10 people with you), I don't mind letting you in front if me. When you're rude or think you're better than everyone else so you deserve to cut in line, that's just wrong.

But since I usually hang out around the lunch lines before they open so I'm one of the first ones in line, I usually don't have too many problems with cutting. ;)

This is bad on the Victory right now - so much so that one person cut in line and then the rest of the family joined them. They almost had a double line - another trick is to cut in line and then hand things over the heads of the people in line to waiting hands, or send a small child in, back and forth to get items. It was the Destiny a few years ago when she did the same itinerary.

OKAY, here is a scenario that I came across on the conquest last may and it all stems from the omlet station.

There is always a line for people to have an omlet made, but just past the omlets is the "other food" etc. I politely say excuse me to grab a tray/plate etc, then walk in front of the people waiting for an omlet and grab other food in front of the omlet station. Now, people who have just gotten there omlet are in this "line" area grabbing other food, did I line jump/cut? Should I have to wait in the line for omlets which is technically the line for that "area" of food?

I do the same thing and don't feel it is cutting, some might

Being born and raised in Nevada, I've never noticed a such thing as "cutting" in a buffet line. It is very common to grab your plate and casually walk along the counters to see what you want. Then, you take a helping of what you want. If someone is going down each item by item and they stop at the mac-n-cheese and I want the mashed potatoes which is "after" the mac-n-cheese, I'm not going to wait. Obviously, you should be observant and not just take a ladle, for example, out of someone's hand. But if you're occuppied on one dish, I'll go around you.

Many buffets do have omelette or stir fry stations or a carving station. For these stations, there is usually a line and you just wait your turn. Primarily, you have to wait your turn because there aren't multiple carvers. Also, if there is a railing of some sort in which you can't walk around people, then it's probably best not to even try.

Have you guys noticed that at many buffets you can get plates from both ends of the sections? What happens when one going right-to-left bumps into one going left-to-right? You move around each other.

For the most part on Victory I didn't notice line cutting - although many many times people would reach in for a box of cereal. If this bothers people they should put the cereal and milk at a separate station, or like others have suggested break the whole thing up. I think it's convenient to have the kitchen behind the buffet though for refilling.

IMO the omelette station is a separate entity to the Lido buffet and if the line gets long enough for them to mingle, they're still two lines. In fact I think someone finishing the omelette station should get to the back of the buffet line if they want other items.

I found it amusing at the small rectangular buffet how people couldn't figure out where it started and ended, and looked afraid to jump in for fear of cutting in front of someone. :rolleyes:

I have to agree with those who say it is ok to go around someone intensely studying one food group on the buffet, if you yourself are not going to get something from that area. This seems to be the norm as long as it is not a rude version like reaching across someone or going around and then studying the same food group selections.

It may seem to be rude to do it if line cutting is applied to it but it really isn't. It is more about a smooth and faster procedure where no one can hold up the line or feel rushed. It is the norm in Vegas as has been mentioned and in many other buffets in other states. Some excuse themselves and some don't as they go around but I do not see either as rude as it takes the pressure off me to move fast if I am considering what I want. The line cutting I hate is cutting to get to the front of the line where everyone is waiting to be seated or to get to the food counters. To me that is cutting. Once we are at the counter and getting food it makes no sense to hold up a hundred people because I can't decide between beef, chicken, or a Sundae.

Life is too short to worry about silly things. Those who will cut in line don’t care if you get upset and those who care don’t cut. The only people you are affecting by getting upset are you and your group. I say have fun and don’t worry about the small stuff.

Amen, and well said!!!!!!!!!!

People always take a long time at the salad bar. The hot food is so good that we don't want to fill up on salad so we go around them. We're finished serving ourselves before they ever catch up to us.

I call that the passing lane.;)

I hate how slow people can be at the salad bar.:rolleyes:

I definitely have no problem going around people. Especially at the grill. If they're waiting for a cheeseburger and all I want is some self-serve fries, then I take my tray and go right around them. Same as another poster at the Salad Bar. If I get behind someone who meticulously must sift through every topping and pick and choose certain pieces of lettuce, and all I want is some lettuce cheese and dressing, then I'm going around you!

And in all fairness, if roles are reversed, I always tell the person behind me to go on around me.

Yep!;)

nothing worse than cold eggs, which always happens while you wait for the person in front of you to decide if he wants grits, and if he should put it in a bowl or on his plate, and whether he wants bacon or sausage.

And I really don't mind if someone asks..'would you mind if I just grab a box of cereal'..