Epic Question...

jeremybe

Hi There.. Thanks everyone for the great info on the Epic - I'm on the Epic this coming Saturday and wonder if anyone can help with the following questions...

We have an 11:15 flight out of Fort Lauderdale, what time can you really get off the ship in Miami?

And second - Can anyone recommend a really good car service from Miami to FLL? There will be Two of us and a 2 year old...

Thanks for the help! I look forward to writing a review.. Hope the weather is OK..

Hi There.. Thanks everyone for the great info on the Epic - I'm on the Epic this coming Saturday and wonder if anyone can help with the following questions...

We have an 11:15 flight out of Fort Lauderdale, what time can you really get off the ship in Miami?

And second - Can anyone recommend a really good car service from Miami to FLL? There will be Two of us and a 2 year old...

Thanks for the help! I look forward to writing a review.. Hope the weather is OK..

I've read on the boards about a company called SAS that does transport from the pier to FLL. Also I think people were able to disembark around 7:30 or so on our trip BUT BUT BUT that is no guarantee, and stuff happens that can delay disembarkation. You should consider being able to manage all your luggage if you are so tight for time. Can you do it with a 2 yr old?

Enjoy your cruise!

Try ridesas.com or acetoursinc.com. I have used both but if you use SAS tell Steve your time frame. Also if you use ace then tell Alan your time frame. I would advise to do self disembarkation but with a 2 year old I also question it. I was off the Majesty in Miami in November using self disembarkation and used acetoursinc.com and was at FLL airport by 8:30. I would make sure you have rolling luggage, luggage straps to hook it all together, pack very light, stroller that turns into car seat and maybe you can do self disembarkation a lot easier.

Thank you all for the replies - Cutting it this close wasn't our choice - We were supposed to fly out at 3:30 but the airline (Spirit Air.... Scary airline form what I'm hearing) changed our flight.

Isn't SAS a shared ride? I didn't that that would be wise since we'd have to wait for more passengers to fill it up?

If I tell a Car to pick us up at 8:15, do you think that would be fine? Or should I go for 8:30 - We do have a lot to carry, so self disembarkign will be rough - I'd liek to get the first group where we can leave our lugage out...

Thanks again for your help - Just hope we can get out of here with the Snow Storm approaching..

Thank you all for the replies - Cutting it this close wasn't our choice - We were supposed to fly out at 3:30 but the airline (Spirit Air.... Scary airline form what I'm hearing) changed our flight.

Isn't SAS a shared ride? I didn't that that would be wise since we'd have to wait for more passengers to fill it up?

If I tell a Car to pick us up at 8:15, do you think that would be fine? Or should I go for 8:30 - We do have a lot to carry, so self disembarkign will be rough - I'd liek to get the first group where we can leave our lugage out...

Thanks again for your help - Just hope we can get out of here with the Snow Storm approaching..

We have made several early flights from the port of Miami to Fort Lauderdale's airport. If you email me, I will send you the name of a guy who has transported us numerous times. He is starting up his own shuttle company and is very reliable. Email is lindavanhoose at ymail dot com.

when we disembarked on the Oasis you had two options, one was to take your bags yourself, this means you dont put them out in the hallway. They also group you together to tell you when your time is to disembark, you may want to see how you do it to get off asap. The other option is to put your bags out in the hall and then you have to go find them once off the ship, dont do that.

If the airline made a change that you cant find acceptable, they can fix it for you by offering you another time, or the next day. Maybe do a beach day in FL and fly back the next day. The airline should accommodate you, just tell them your situation. If you keep it like it is, good luck! Pick a cab that doesnt have a van situation so that you are not waiting for other people to fill it up.

I agree with packing super light so you have less to drag around. I packed light and we still didnt use most of the clothes we bought. They had awesome t-shirts that turned color in the sun!

Good luck with the storm, hope you get out on time. Here in Indiana we are getting 15+ inches and ice.

Norwegian Epic docks at 6:30 AM and if you carry your own luggage you can be off the ship by 8 AM and be at the Fort Lauderdale Airport by 9:00.

I have been cruising for the last 5 years and always use QLS Transportation, They're GREAT and very affordable, 1888-757-0021

You can make it for a 11:15 AM flight...Good Luck :)

Regular docking time would be 6:30, however, when we cruised Epic in November it did not dock that Saturday morning until 8:30 - 9:00 a.m.

Needless to say, it came in late. So, you never know, except maybe to expect the unexpected!:eek: I know that doesn't happen often, and hopefully, that won't happen to you.

you have not given yourself much room for error, but it can be done

Great..quoting myself. Is this illegal? lol

What I meant was, if there's a delay with clearing customs, etc. it can delay departure from the ship by an hour or more. Each time I suggest that someone can possibly make an 10am flight out of Miami (at the curb by 8 and departure gate by 8:30). I'm reminded of this, so passing this info on to you. :) Keep in mind that Saturdays are pretty big travel days at POA, MIA and FLL

Even if you get off the ship in quick time there could be hold ups at the airport. On our Epic disembark a few weeks ago we were off the ship and in a cab by 8:05 and at the airport 20 minutes later. But then we had a long wait of 50 minutes between checking bags and going through security. And we were advised by security staff that it was a light day at Miami airport.

We had a late flight so we got off Epic around 9:30 (intentionally) and were at the gate in MIA airport by 11:30! it probably took a good 45 mins to get through customs because there were really long lines. I was chatting with one of the "line handlers" and she said that the best times (DUH) to get thru were either first thing (which you are planning on anyway) or late. It took about 10 mins to get a cab because the dispatcher wasn't doing a good job of crowd control and people kept jumping in cabs the guy pointed us towards. I have no idea about SAS and whether you'd have to wait for them to fill up, but I'd think you could ask them and see what they think, I'm sure they will be honest.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'd expect it would take you less time than it did us, other than the ride to the airport.

OP is not going to Miami airport. He is going to FLL because Spirit doesn't fly to MIA. If they changed your flight call them and see what else you can do since that's quite a difference in flight times. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones with Spirit. Out of Atlantic City they are very convenient, have always left on time and even out of FLL haven't had a problem except 1 late flight.

OP is not going to Miami airport. He is going to FLL because Spirit doesn't fly to MIA. If they changed your flight call them and see what else you can do since that's quite a difference in flight times. I guess I am one of the few lucky ones with Spirit. Out of Atlantic City they are very convenient, have always left on time and even out of FLL haven't had a problem except 1 late flight.

No, I realized OP is out of FLL, that's why I mentioned ride to the airport taking longer!

Do I need to arrange a private transport to FLL or can I just catch a taxi at the pier? Also, my sister and brother in law are going to be going to Miami airport. Do they need to arrange private transport?

There are lots of taxis and several dispatchers. It's $24 flat rate to MIA airport. I have no idea how much to FLL. I'd absolutely recommend taxi to MIA, probably cheaper than private transport.

Do I need to arrange a private transport to FLL or can I just catch a taxi at the pier? Also, my sister and brother in law are going to be going to Miami airport. Do they need to arrange private transport?

If you don't need to be at FLL airport in a quick time frame, I would just take a shuttle. A taxi will probably cost $70, as others have mentioned, whereas a shared shuttle would definitely be cheaper. In your case, I would definitely consider time vs. money. Taxi's are plentiful at the POM, and shuttles (private transports) not so much, which is why if you are considering that route, you should make arrangements, prior to your cruise.

Archived