Can you walk to Port of Miami

MikeNKim

You could walk to the port, as mentioned above there is HEAVY truck traffic, there is a narrowish walkway behind a "jersey barrier"

Curiously, the port is the WORST place for cruise ship viewing. The view is blocked by the passenger terminals.

You could watch from behind the American Airlines Arena, that gives you a clear view of the turning basin, but I wouldn't hang out alone in that area at that hour of the morning.

The best views are from along the MacArthur Causeway/Watson Island, here's a view:

LOS.jpg

Again, I would much rather you were in the relative safety of a car at that hour of the morning on Watson Island.

The best and safest option for viewing would be South Pointe Park in Miami Beach.

Edited by miamiyogi
I forget vowels

• 3 years later...

I made this walk to my cruise without any issues and would recommend it to anyone in shape wanting to save $15. The top of the bridge has a decent view for those wanting to watch ships, but beyond that there isn't much to see.

As you approach Port Boulevard you'll want to be on the sidewalk on the North side (on your left). Traffic may be heavy but there is a concrete barrier for safety. The trickiest part is that as the bridge comes down on the other side of the water it will curve to the left and the sidewalk ends abruptly. Depending on which ship you are heading to you could sneak across the road (I did this the first time, as there were no cars in sight). However, the better path is to turn left (across 10 feet of grass), head through the parking lot to a crosswalk on the North side that will take you safely to the cruise ships. From there you can walk in either direction to your cruise ship (which may still be a ways).

I made this walk to my cruise without any issues and would recommend it to anyone in shape wanting to save $15. The top of the bridge has a decent view for those wanting to watch ships, but beyond that there isn't much to see.

As you approach Port Boulevard you'll want to be on the sidewalk on the North side (on your left). Traffic may be heavy but there is a concrete barrier for safety. The trickiest part is that as the bridge comes down on the other side of the water it will curve to the left and the sidewalk ends abruptly. Depending on which ship you are heading to you could sneak across the road (I did this the first time, as there were no cars in sight). However, the better path is to turn left (across 10 feet of grass), head through the parking lot to a crosswalk on the North side that will take you safely to the cruise ships. From there you can walk in either direction to your cruise ship (which may still be a ways).

Glad it worked out for you - I'd rather pay the $15 to avoid walking near heavy traffic and sneaking across a busy road. ;)

I do not recommended this; the transfer station is NOT in a good area of Downtown Miami (I work in Downtown Miami). Taxi is the best means to get to the port.

That bus route is being discontinued at the end of this month. Rendered obsolete by the free trolley service, which is very useful for the few cruises calling but not turning over at PortMiami. But your luggage will not fit through the trolley door, so of course a $10-15 cab ride is preferable to boarding the ship an exhausted sweaty mess.

http://www.miamigov.com/trolley/index.html (select 'Coral Way Route')