Queen Mary

5fathom

Cruising out of San Pedro Oct 1. We are contemplating staying on the Queen Mary for two nights prior to cruise. We had heard it was not too good but recently underwent renovations. Has anyone seen her lately ? Also how far is she docked from downtown Long Beach. We understand a cab from Long Beach to San Pedro is around $20. Any info would be appreciated. Possibly someone could suggest a better place to stay in Long Beach. Thanks !

I stayed on the Queen Mary for a conference a couple of years ago. It was comfortable, but not too quiet. Although that made for some great entertainment. There's also all the "haunted ship" talk. I had a stateroom on the port side, overlooking the Russian sub.

It's about 1.5 miles to the convention center or Shoreline Village, and I don't recall a sidewalk along the bridge; fortunately I had a car. My coworkers (who booked early enough) all stayed at the Westin.

The Queen Mary is pretty much off by itself but it is on the free Passport Bus line operated by the city of Long Beach that will take you into the downtown areas with the restaurants, shopping, and nightclubs.

Many on this board use priceline to book a hotel. Recommended is ZONE 1 ONLY, 3.5 STARS and above ONLY, start at $55 or so. You will usually end up with the Westin, Hyatt Regency, or Renaissance. Both are centrally located right on Ocean Blvd (or just south (Hyatt)).

A $20 estimate for a cab to the Port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) from Long Beach downtown or the QM, seems a reasonable estimate.

I've stayed on the Queen Mary, albeit many years ago now...

They "remodel" it from time to time, but I'm not sure they can really do to much...the rooms are what they are...

If you want to stay on it for the sheer historical quirkiness, haunting or the nautical theme, go ahead...

But, really, there are better places to stay in Long Beach...

The Maya Doubletree's new Carnival deal at $99 is pretty danged good...and it's, basically, the next property up from the QM on that side of the channel...

Personally, I prefer the Hyatt, Westin or Renaissance...those are really in the true heart of Long Beach...you can walk most places and the free Passport Shuttle will get you anyplace else (except San Pedro or LAX, of course...I meant anywhere else in Long Beach)...and those are truly first class hotels (something the QM really is not)...So, if you can score one of those on Priceline, that would be your best bet...

If you are afraid of the Priceline thing...or want a cheap "Park 'n' Cruise" hotel package, consider the Maya...

If you really want to experience waht it was like living onboard ship several decades ago...but with all the years of age, rust, mold and deferred maintenance attached, go ahead and stay on the Queen Mary...

Will echo what has been said... we visited (not stayed with) the Queen Mary a few months back and found it, well, old... hubby loves history and he was dying to see her and indeed we spend a great day there, but neither of us would consider staing there. It just wasn't... I don't know.... something... not our cup of tea.

We stayed at one of Steve's recommended hotels (his "Long Beach short list" is famous on this board!) - the Renaissance. Fabulous. Would stay again in a heartbeat; we took a cab to San Pedro in the morning and it was around $25.00 if I recall.

Archived