My VERY long Carnival Victory Cruise Jan. 23, 2010 Review

Kitt Lady

Barbados (1/26/2011)8:00am to 5:00pm

(January average Temperature - average high 82 degrees and average low 74 degrees - actual 81 degrees, cloudy and off and on sprinkles and a low of 73 degrees)

1182395366_y9U3V-M.jpg

Our one and only rainbow. We were very lucky this year. This was the only day we really had any kind of weather. It sprinled off and on - but not bad at all.

I have lived in Barbados for 28 years,so we will be joining the Victory from here on the 4th May.2011,so looking forward to it....

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your cruise on Victory,it has really been a help and so much fun to read.

What does the pilot boat do?

In some ports it just guides the ship out through the port opening. In others they actually have a pilot come on the ship and steer or oversee from the bridge then get back off when the ship is in more open waters. At least that is how I understand their purpose. Someone can maybe offer more insight hopefully. :cool:

We went to a question and answer session with the captain on our recent RCL cruise and the captain told us that the pilot comes onto the ship and goes up to the bridge. He doesn't actually steer the ship but he is there to act as a guide while the bridge crew navigate the ship into port and up to the dock. I may have misunderstood what he was saying but my understanding was that the pilot never actually touches the ships controls but is just there as a guide since he knows the port the best.

Great review by the way! Looking forward to the rest. :)

Love your review, reminds me of our sailing on the Victory we loved our cruise and especially the itineary.

We also had a Suite and we loved it

Keep up the good work, my Canadian winter seems milder when I read your review :D

Great review, I like the way you've added humor to your experience. You have a very positive outlook, which is nice. Instead of complaining that there were no chairs available on the Lido you didnt let it bother you all that much, cuz really there's no need to let little things like that ruin your trip, your on vacation after all!!! Having said that, i'll make sure to go out early on Sea day to get a spot... We're going on this cruise in April, i'm addicted to this website...

I am so sorry about not being online or answering posts. I have had nothing but problems with the computers today :(. The computer is having "issues" and so is my internet connection.

Errrr...I'm hoping things are worked out now....fingers crossed....

Do you happen to remember what time you guys got to magens bay? It looks so empty, easy to get a good spot, i will be spending the day there :)

We have found out from past experience that if you wait to go to Magens Bay until the afternoon, you will be overwhelmed by the crowds. The last two times we were in St. Thomas we went to Megan's Bay in the morning, came back to the ship & changed into shorts and tank tops to go shopping. Doing this reverse itinerary has worked very well for us!

This is the day I have been waiting for MONTHS!! This was the island that our “what excursion will make your vacation” agreement kicked in – in my favor…..WOOOO HOOOO !!! SNORKELING FOR SEA TURTLES – ooooohhhhhh I SOOOOO excited!!!

1182445959_iFs9q-M.jpg

Five Star Catamaran & Turtle Encounter

When DH and I are trying to agree on excursions we both pick one thing that will make our vacation special. Each of us picks one thing that would make our vacation. It would be great if we would agree - but we don't usually. For me, on this cruise was snorkeling for the Sea Turtles and a catamaran ride.

One little warning though…

If you smoke…have your last cigarette before you get off of the ship. Barbados recently passed a law – no public smoking.

We were taken by bus down the road to the pier that the catamaran was docked....

1182419478_PVW5t-M.jpg

DH and I were able to geet PRIME seats on the netting in the front of the Catamaran. Funny how it never entered our minds that once we hit open water....we would be SOAKED....lol. But hey, we were there to get wet...lol. Just should've put the camera away...oh well....it's ok...but limited pictures for a while.

We get to where the turtles were at.....oh the excitment!! My DH doesn't share my excitment though. He hates water just about as much I love water...(heavy sigh)....what he won't do for his DW...lol. Dh puts on his life jacket, double checking everything was ok with before he gets into the water...lol. Then into the water we go...

Once we are both in the water and he's comfortable - I start to snorkel. I SEEN A HUGE TURTLE. OHHHHH WAS I EXCITED!!! I look for my DH - wanting him to share in seeing this incredible animal. Only to see him swimming away - in the wrong direct ! I yell for him and of course he can't hear me. Well...to make a VERY long story a little short. That ended our snorkeling at that stop. By the time we swam together back to our boat he was full of salt water and out of patience for snorkeling.

Then lunch...they had so much food. We passed on eating but everyone said that the food was great.

Next stop was over a ship wreck...the fish were everywhere !! I snorkeled DH says he was my photographer....lol

1182475753_Uorhy-M.jpg

1182480102_C9hJL-M.jpg

Then we were off to the beach. Unfortunately, the water was a little rough. The catamaran was to pulled up to the beach and they would drop the ladder onto the beach. But necause of the rough water they dropped anchor and you could swim to shore. Welllllll.....DH wasn't too excited. So we stayed on the boat and enjoyed the rumpunch. I am not much of a drinker. Maybe once a year at a wedding...or maybe when we go out to eat I'll have a glass of wine...but I REALLY like Rum Punch....lol.

We have found out from past experience that if you wait to go to Magens Bay until the afternoon, you will be overwhelmed by the crowds. The last two times we were in St. Thomas we went to Megan's Bay in the morning, came back to the ship & changed into shorts and tank tops to go shopping. Doing this reverse itinerary has worked very well for us!

We werent going to wait til the afternoon, as soon as we get off the boat we would catch a cab there, should be empty i hope!

I find it very interesting that your husband doesn't like the water. Nothing wrong with it....I don't like snorkeling, too afraid of my snorkel tube being plugged or someone put water in it.:rolleyes: I have to really focus so I don't hyperventilate but as long as I'm hanging on to my husband though, I'm good.:p

I have lived in Barbados for 28 years,so we will be joining the Victory from here on the 4th May.2011,so looking forward to it....

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your cruise on Victory,it has really been a help and so much fun to read.

I LOVED Barbados!! I think your going to love the cruise!!

Love your review, reminds me of our sailing on the Victory we loved our cruise and especially the itineary.

We also had a Suite and we loved it

Keep up the good work, my Canadian winter seems milder when I read your review :D

Thanks! I woke up this morning and we the temp outside is minus 1 degree....ohhhhh to be back on the Victory.

Archived