Mediterranean-NCL Epic or Jade

Kelmn07

Hi All,

Originally I was planning on booking the Epic for the mediterranean cruise starting and ending in Barcelona but then I saw a cruise for the Jade starting in Venice and ending in Rome and also stops in Croatia. I really want to see as much of Italy as possible, but the flight to venice is a two day flight (unless I want to spend an arm and a leg).

How often do flights change-is it likely a shorter flight will pop up?

I didn't see port reviews of two of the stops on this cruise-Messina and Koper-has anyone been and what are they like?

It doesn't look like Jade has as much to offer for entertainment (blue man, cirque, howl at the moon, etc), but it also spends one less day at sea than the Epic does. I am now torn between the two

Also, how is this part of Europe weather-wise in the beginning of October?

Any input would be appreciated in any and all of my questions-thanks so much! :)

Well do your research on the ships and find out exactly what you are looking for, (example is open spaces and a promenade deck important to you?) I Personally would take the Jade. Also train service between cities, airports in europe, Italy are great, the train will take you right into venice. Do your research, please get info from outside cruise critic.

Hi All,

Originally I was planning on booking the Epic for the mediterranean cruise starting and ending in Barcelona but then I saw a cruise for the Jade starting in Venice and ending in Rome and also stops in Croatia. I really want to see as much of Italy as possible, but the flight to venice is a two day flight (unless I want to spend an arm and a leg).

How often do flights change-is it likely a shorter flight will pop up? Have you looked at flights to other Italy airports rather than Venice? Flying to Milan or even Rome is generally cheaper and requires only a train ride to connect - a nice way to see some Italian countryside that you often miss on cruises. We are sailing out of Venice in May, just booked the flights yesterday - flying EWR-Frankfort-VCE, red eye on the way out (like most transatlantic flights). After our cruise, we are taking a train to Florence for several days, then flying to Brussels to see our daughter before heading home thru Frankfort again.. Not sure what you mean by a two-day flight?? How far in advance are you looking? Generally flights don't change - maybe schedules, but not routes.. Venice is not a non-stop from any US airport that I know of, which is why you either connect in another city or go non-stop to another city and take the train. Also, are the cruise lengths different? If the Epic is doing the typical 7 day out of Barcelona - I have to tell you I found that itinerary exhausting - no time at all to enjoy the ship - you do get to see a lot in port, but not much else. I would go by itinerary, with the longer cruise winning - and likely with the most interesting, different ports. I love cruising Europe, but I am a bit tired (for example) of seeing Rome over and over for a single day. I loved my last land-based Italian trip and am looking forward to spending more time on the places I love after my cruise.

I didn't see port reviews of two of the stops on this cruise-Messina and Koper-has anyone been and what are they like? Went to Messina with NCL a few years ago. Went on one of only two ship tours there (clarifying: have only taken two ship tours in my life and this is one of them), to a vineyard and Taormina. Was a nice place to see, especially to see Mt Etna up close and personal! There are reviews of Messina in the Ports of Call, Italy section of this website. Haven't been to Koper, but there is info on that in the Ports of Call, Other Europe board. I myself am anxiously looking forward to Dubrovnik and Split, two places I have always wanted to visit.

It doesn't look like Jade has as much to offer for entertainment (blue man, cirque, howl at the moon, etc), but it also spends one less day at sea than the Epic does. I am now torn between the two I have been on the Jade twice, going again in May. Haven't sailed the Epic yet but don't really have much interest either. I find that on any European cruise I have little time or energy for a lot of the "extras" I would use on a repositioning or relaxing beach cruise. Love the Jade and her crew and looking forward to sailing her again.

Also, how is this part of Europe weather-wise in the beginning of October? Nice time of year - not too hot, not too cold - but you can get more specific answers on the Ports of Call boards.

Any input would be appreciated in any and all of my questions-thanks so much! :)

Hope this helps!

Robin

Thanks for the detailed response. The cruise I am looking at is the first week in october. If I currently search for a flight from NY to Venice, then Rome to NY, I can fly for under $700 but the flight to Venice takes two days (I leave Thursday evening and arrive Sunday afternoon), that's a lot of sitting around airports. But for around $900 it is just about 11 hours of travel time. Based on your tips, I am more inclined to take this cruise even though I had been set on the epic (one day for Rome, being an hour from port, doesn't seem fun).

Thanks for advising me to the correct section for the port reviews as well.

My wife's done both Jade & Epic, I've only done Epic.

When we did our European cruises I found I have very little time for the ship, in fact we were exhausted from our daily tours so concerning the entertainment available...well we wouldn't do most of it.

Given the choice between Epic and Jade I think the itinery is the most important - at least for me.

My choice - Jade.

Thanks for the detailed response. The cruise I am looking at is the first week in october. If I currently search for a flight from NY to Venice, then Rome to NY, I can fly for under $700 but the flight to Venice takes two days (I leave Thursday evening and arrive Sunday afternoon), that's a lot of sitting around airports. But for around $900 it is just about 11 hours of travel time. Based on your tips, I am more inclined to take this cruise even though I had been set on the epic (one day for Rome, being an hour from port, doesn't seem fun).

Save the extra cash, fly r/t to Rome (or Milan) and take the train to Venice.. Certainly beats arriving on Sunday - what a ridiculous connection (what airlines??)! You didn't say where the original NY-VCE was connecting, but an open jaw NYC-MXP(MILAN) / FCO(ROME)-NYC should price out a lot cheaper - the train may be around $50 on high-speed (sorry, have it on my iPad, not here) - Milan is a LOT closer to Venice than Rome, CO flies from Newark nonstop, I am sure others do as well. Play with the airfare and different arrival and departure dates too, spend a few extra days in Italy when you have come so far.

Robin

I agree with everyone I haven't been on Epic but I have done this cruise often. It is a port intensive cruise and you will be exhausted when you get back to ship. I would also stay in Rome after the cruise if you can, or fly to Rome take train to Venice, also the port outside of Rome(Civittachia-sp?) is 2 long hours of driving or the train. But make sure and think of train strikes, traffick etc from Rome, enjoy either way. Oh and I always travel in Oct less tourist, kids(Ilove them but..) and weather is great

Philadelphia would be a bit too far, I'm actually from the Boston area, and JFK was significantly cheaper than flying out of Boston, and is only a 4 hour drive. I am not a person that minds driving, so 4 hours is not that bad if it will save me $200+ a ticket on less than a tank of gas :)

Having been on both the Jade and the Epic I would, in this scenario, opt for the Jade. We considered the Epic for this summer but, as we've visited most of the ports before, we were planning on staying on the ship. As others have said, the Epic is all about the ship, not the ports.

Philadelphia would be a bit too far, I'm actually from the Boston area, and JFK was significantly cheaper than flying out of Boston, and is only a 4 hour drive. I am not a person that minds driving, so 4 hours is not that bad if it will save me $200+ a ticket on less than a tank of gas :)

Don't forget to add in the extra costs for everything if you are planning on deviating from BOS-VCE. on the stateside end, you will have to pay for gas, parking, etc that you might not have to if you are close to BOS airport. On the other end, if you fly to Milan, you will have to get from the airport to the train station plus pay the train fare. So look carefully at all costs for all options to see whether the total savings is worth the extra time..

Robin

Hi All,

I didn't see port reviews of two of the stops on this cruise-Messina and Koper-has anyone been and what are they like?

It doesn't look like Jade has as much to offer for entertainment (blue man, cirque, howl at the moon, etc), but it also spends one less day at sea than the Epic does. I am now torn between the two

Have no idea if this will help you, but have you looked at KLM ? They fly Boston to Venice via Paris, 9.35 hr flight (according to website). I had a brief look for a week flight mid Oct and it was $1200 (that was not the cheapest).

As regards saving $200 remember train fares and fuel can make a big dent in the savings and a bit more stress on the connections. Although i would do the same to save money :)

Thanks for the pointers everyone, because of the advice we have opted to take the Jade for its itinerary, we are excited! Now I need some help picking a room, but that's for another forum :p

I'm sure you'll love the Jade! DH & I did the Rome/Athens (changed to Crete last minute due to political demonstrations)/Izmir/Egypt/Malta itinerary out of Barcelona a few months ago. We loved the ship! I agree with those who said you'll likely be too wiped out to do much on board - the ports were amazing but exhausting, so we'd normally just go to dinner, catch the early show, and then go to bed! Sea days we relaxed, slept, watched movies, and stored some energy for the next port.

Good luck with cabin selection! I'm in the midst of doing that now for our next cruise. Always a big decision!

Tanya

I have been on the Epic and it's great. You won't be disAppointed. We stayed in the Garden Villas which are comfortable. The crew really made our cruise outstanding. That was August 2010 in the Caribbean. So we decided to cruise the Epic in the Med in March 2011, just for the cruise staff! However we prefer the 12 cruise itinerary so we are on the Jade and looking forward to it. Going to try the 3 Room Villa.

Hi All,

That flight to Venice leaves on Thursday evening and arrives Sunday. That is three days, not two. No way would I go for that. Have you tried some websites like kayak?

Also, consider the cost of rail travel if you fly into Milan. We took the Italian train, first class from Venice to Florence in July (buy your tickets on-line before you fly-buying rail tickets at the train station can be a long delay) Seems like it cost $150 each for the Eurostar.

If I were you, I would focus on flying in to Rome, and spend some time in Rome (at least 3 days). The must see sights include St. Peters and the Sistine Chapel, as well as Forum, Colliseum, Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Trajan's forum and more.

The weather in Italy in October is still pretty nice, but you will need a jacket for the evening.

If you have never been to Venice, spend a couple of days there. The cruise port is close to the train station. Check out the Venice website that tells you about the people mover, hotels, etc.

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to be price conscious for everyone in the group, but it's really just one that worries more than the others, so I am pretty sure we are just going to suck up the extra bit of money and fly from boston to venice. None in the group can afford to spend days in either city, cost -wise and vacation days wise. We will be arriving with a full day to spend in Venice and staying to spend a full day in Rome.

Thanks for the responses. I am trying to be price conscious for everyone in the group, but it's really just one that worries more than the others, so I am pretty sure we are just going to suck up the extra bit of money and fly from boston to venice. None in the group can afford to spend days in either city, cost -wise and vacation days wise. We will be arriving with a full day to spend in Venice and staying to spend a full day in Rome.

Check out the Venice website for the port and hotels. Also, the Venere website is good for finding inexpensive hotels.

• 1 month later...

Check out NCL's web site you may be able to save big $$ or upgrade ,or perhaps change your reservation( Cancel the other) and get a big deal on the EPIC! I was told could cancel until final payment is due...so making a change would be easy.

I was browsing around a few weeks ago and found a fantastic air deal on the gateway city of NY ( JFK) going to Barcelona on the Epic for a July 10th sailing on Epic. I added a 2 night after stay in Barcelona( having done this intinary 2 years ago you are exhausted we did a night pre stay then) .

I am paying $2500 less than anywhere,For a mid ship balcony cabin.

I spoke with Cassandra the NCL representative she was great .

I normally book with my cruise agent ( via internet) but this deal was too good to pass up and I tramsferred the booking to my agent so I got free travel insurance included.

BTW I have since checked and that deal is over( at least for that sailing) but check out the others...... The air from JFK round trip was reduced to $745pp.

This package also included all taxes, port charges , hotel tips( breakfast included in hotel) and transfers.

Now I ponder excursions as when we last went on the Gem in Summer'09 we couldn't see everything...

check out the NCL website, who would have guessed they'd have the BEST deals?

We wanted to sail the EPIC I have heard all good things about it !

Try Delta from JFK. Non stop to Venice flight 86.

Return from Rome to JFK Nonstop Delta again about $1100

Archived