MDR food, the good, the bad and the ugly

Liztoybiz

We will be eating most of our dinners in the MDR on our June Oasis cruise as this will be our meeting place for show and tell with our extended family. I realize we need to adjust our expectations about the quality from our last RCCL cruise, but would you please share what items you thought were pretty good, or pretty bad in the MDR?

I have heard alot about the onion tart and so I plan to try that one this trip and know we'll have an escargot (or three) but would love to hear your favorites.

Also, anyone who has ordered the steak at the $15 upcharge, was it really good? Like Outback? or Ruth Chris? Maybe Sizzler...

Thanks for helping!

Liz in Kingwood

Oh Shoot!

The crab cake and roasted duck are bad? What a shame!

And thanks for the warning about the crab cake. I could eat several of those in one sitting. Is it too full of fillers? Or is the crab mostly claw? Trying to figure out how you could mess up crab cakes...

And the flourless chocolate cake, now THAT sounds worth the calories!

I'd heard the desserts were mainly full of air. All whipped up but not much taste. Any truth to that?

Taking notes, thanks!

Liz

Good - fettuccine with mushrooms and truffle oil. It's very rich - we share an order for the table

Good - lamb chops (I know some folks hate them, but I've always enjoyed them)

Bad - soups, I find them all to be overly salty

Good - if you like Indian food, most of the curries are quite good

It's been a few months since we've sailed but we have always found a few gems on the menu most nights. Your waiter is usually a good source if you are in doubt - they know what is popular and what isn't.

Bad - Roasted Duck (nothing but skin, fat and bones)

Good - Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

Oh Shoot!

And thanks for the warning about the crab cake. I could eat several of those in one sitting. Is it too full of fillers? Or is the crab mostly claw? Trying to figure out how you could mess up crab cakes...

I'd heard the desserts were mainly full of air. All whipped up but not much taste. Any truth to that?

Taking notes, thanks!

Liz

Nope, duck has been delicious. I have ordered it several times in my last few crusies. Always good.

Crab cake, schmab cake. Yuck. Filler. I would prefer GOOD surimi to bad filler.

I agree with Merion Mom about the Duck. I had it several times and it was always very good.

Can't remember what the crab cakes were like so I guess they weren't that good.

DH loves the onion tart and he is a picky eater. So if Jimmy likes it, it's good.

Judi :)

Just got off Voyager and the only things not great were in Portofino's = minestrone soup and beef carpaccio. The main course and dessert (tiramisu, don't waste time with the others) made the specialty restaurant worth it. Back to your question = no bad meals in the MDR this trip! Multiple appetizers every night and multiple desserts many nights. The scale doesn't lie.

Hot soups = all are pretty good to me. I ordered them every night and while some were better than others, none were disappointing. The best to me is the tortilla soup!

Maybe I'm easy to please but even though the crab cake has filler, its still worth a try!

Got to get = slow roasted prime rib...usually offered twice. So tender and I disagree on the no flavor comment...could be different ship / different experience issue.

The only thing I would have ordered something different would have been the T-bone steak night...wasn't bad but the fish looked better.

Ok, more thoughts.

Beef tenderloin = excellent

broccoli = excellent

mashed potatoes = my son could live on them

*I* think that the chocolate soufflé is awful. Dry and tasteless.

Sugar-free chocolate mint cake = one of their best desserts of any type

scallops risotto = very good

spinach dip = very good

oxtail soup (I know, I know) = very good

banana nut parfait = my friends love it, I say 'yuck'

rack of lamb = outstanding

caesar salad = very good

If they ever have samosas on the menu, ORDER THEM.

sea bass = very good

DO NOT ORDER THE LOBSTER BISQUE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

We've never really had "bad" food on a cruise but some dishes were really excellent! I love the cheese tortellini with bleu cheese sauce, the gnocchi, beef tenderloin, chicken marsala & mahi mahi tempora. I also like the seafood salad, scallop risotto, and caesar salad. And the rolls!:D We rarely eat bread at home but have it everynight on a cruise!

I ordered the Chops steak on our last cruise, it was good but. . .if I'm going to spend $15 on a steak, I might as well go to Chops and get the whole meal.

Sherri:)

Wow, you guys are great!

I would love to do more of the specialty restaurants but we're just doing the Chef's Table one night and the rest are MDR so I needed to start putting together a list. Might take me till June to log plusses and minuses (what I did last time and was never steered wrong).

I remember the appetizers being wonderful and some little bread thing being great. What exactly are the Savory Bites? I wonder if that's the one.

Also, do you enjoy breakfast or lunch in the MDR?

Any favorites there?

Stop me if I'm asking too many questions, lol!

Thanks again,

Glad to hear the duck got some love.

Wondering if the shrimp cocktail is tiny and watery or ok...

Stay warm!

Liz

Asian Chicken Lemongrass soup = excellent

Sea Bass = Usually excellent

Filet of Beef = Awesome every time

Wild Truffled Linguine = Excellent (but rich!)

Smoked Fish Tapenade = Very good

Fisherman's Plate = Lobster tail is ok (hit or miss as to the flavour) the garlicky shrimp are small and are immersed in butter and garlic!

:)

Oh Shoot!

Taking notes, thanks!

Liz

The crab cake in Chops is GREAT! In the MDR... not so much.

Here's my list of items that I enjoyed in the MDR.......

Entrees:

Pan Fried Pork Medallions

Filet of Beef

Surf & Turf

Garlic Tiger Shrimp

Fisherman's Plate

Shrimp & Mahi Mahi Tempura

Apps:

Chicken & Cabbage Dumplings

Scallop Risotto

Strawberry Bisque

Spinach Dip

Desserts:

Double Strawberry Cheesecake

Apple Pie a la Mode

Warm Chocolate Cake (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!)

Chocolate Brownie Sandwich (with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!)

I love chocolate, but did not like the Bittersweet Chocolate Souffle!

Wow, you guys are great!

I would love to do more of the specialty restaurants but we're just doing the Chef's Table one night and the rest are MDR so I needed to start putting together a list. Might take me till June to log plusses and minuses (what I did last time and was never steered wrong).

I remember the appetizers being wonderful and some little bread thing being great. What exactly are the Savory Bites? I wonder if that's the one.

Yes, those are your wonderful little bread things. :)

So is the chocolate soufle that Merion Mom mentioned the same as the flourless chocolate cake? And what are samosas? And I will take your warning to heart about the lobster bisque, seems many agree with you. Hope the scallops risotto is an appt. Love the apps!

Do they still offer the escargot? And any idea which night escargot or lobster (or fisherman's platter with lobster, whichever) is offered?

Surely we can't gain weight just talking about the food...lol

Thanks again guys!!!

Liz

ps. Cari, are those things all available on the menu? That chocolate brownie with ice cream sounds pretty good right now. And did you find the bittersweet chocolate thing too bitter or what was yuck about it?

Off the top of my head as being yummy.....

Smoked fish tapenade

Scallops risotto

Filet of beef

Prime rib

Warm chocolate souffle w/vanilla sauce

Banana parfait

Vidalia onion tart

Onion soup

I was happy with everything I ordered. The only thing SO didn't care for was the Hot and Sour Shrimp Soup.

Ok, more thoughts.

Beef tenderloin = excellent

broccoli = excellent

mashed potatoes = my son could live on them

*I* think that the chocolate soufflé is awful. Dry and tasteless.

Sugar-free chocolate mint cake = one of their best desserts of any type

scallops risotto = very good

spinach dip = very good

oxtail soup (I know, I know) = very good

banana nut parfait = my friends love it, I say 'yuck'

rack of lamb = outstanding

caesar salad = very good

If they ever have samosas on the menu, ORDER THEM.

sea bass = very good

DO NOT ORDER THE LOBSTER BISQUE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I have to agree about the lobster Bisque, I eat alot of it here on Long Island and love it rich and creamy, not so on the ship. maybe the only thing was ever truly disappoitned with.

Archived