Zuiderdam AFT cabins

pstata

The largest balconies are on decks 4 & 5. If you like shade choose deck 5, as those balconies are completely covered. Deck 4 balconies have the most exposure. Some people who chose deck 8 stern cabins were bothered by chair-dragging noise from the aft pool area.

2626037400099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Edited by jtl513

My husband and I just did the Panama Canal over Thanksgiving on the Zuiderdam in an aft cabin. We had a VA on deck 5, which is the only deck with complete coverings over the verandah, so if it rains you can still enjoy your baclony and feel like you have privacy. Another plus is the rooms are a little larger as are the balconies. It was our first time in an aft cabin and it won't be our last, we loved it. We spent many hours sitting and looking at the wake, it is very mesmerizing and calming. The sunset views and sights were wonderful. I am now going to always try and book an aft cabin when we sail.

Enjoy, Melissa

We were on the Zuid. in Nov., 2009, in VA8134. The upgrade fairy visited us! We loved it--only noticed noise from upstairs once in 12 days. The balcony was damp every morning.l We had a side balcony on an earlier Alaska cruise, and enjoyed this one even more. Have fun!:D

Deck 4 is low enough that when the ship is lowest in a lock - you can reach out and touch the canal walls.

But IMO - all the aft wrap arounds are awesome.

I had 8147 (top most on starboard side).

I shared pictures with Joannie... but if you want more - look here.. http://www.trudyginsburg.com/panama.html

Great pictures. Cabin 8147 is on my bucket list.

-only noticed noise from upstairs once in 12 days.

We didn't really have noise from above. We would maybe hear the music from the deck above in the afternoon - which wasn't a problem.

Yes people were on the rail watching in Panama and at sail away - but no one ever invaded our privacy. We actually liked it.

IMG_0323.jpg.e2c2e099d913cc085fd54113f8333824.jpg

We were on the Zuiderdam in an aft cabin on deck 6 this past December. The veranda was approximately twice as deep as the standard VA cabins and was half covered so you could sit out in the rain (if it happens) and also get some shade as well. We had no noise issues, but you should be aware that there is a bit more motion in these cabins than others. Also, depending on sea conditions (mostly when surfing downwind) there can be some minor noise and vibration as the water lifts the stern. Some people are very bothered by it, but in our opinion it was very minor and did not bother us at all. I plan to try to get one of these from now on.

The largest balconies are on decks 4 & 5. If you like shade choose deck 5, as those balconies are completely covered. Deck 4 balconies have the most exposure.

2626037400099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Would definitely recommend you pick wither deck 4 or 5 based on how much sun/shade you want. Have stayed in the corners on Deck 5 SEVERAL times. Love it!

My friend and I were in 5183 and 5184 on the Zuiderdam a year ago, and loved them so much we have 5184 and 5186 on the Oosterdam in April. Here are some more photos which I hope helps:

Zuiderdam%20Aft%201.jpg

Here's a photo of the balcony itself (5185 on the Zuiderdam):

HAL%20Balcony.jpg

Edited by Pam in CA

• 3 months later...
My friend and I were in 5183 and 5184 on the Zuiderdam a year ago, and loved them so much we have 5184 and 5186 on the Oosterdam in April. Here are some more photos which I hope helps:

Zuiderdam%20Aft%201.jpg

Here's a photo of the balcony itself (5185 on the Zuiderdam):

HAL%20Balcony.jpg

Hi Pam...the aft balconies look dark on deck 5. Is it the angle of the photo, or are they shaded most of the time?

Deck 4 is low enough that when the ship is lowest in a lock - you can reach out and touch the canal walls.

But IMO - all the aft wrap arounds are awesome.

I had 8147 (top most on starboard side).

I shared pictures with Joannie... but if you want more - look here.. http://www.trudyginsburg.com/panama.html

We had 8140, the other aft corner, on our Alaska cruise. Fantastic! We never heard chair noises from overhead.

I didn't bother to send any pix gto Joanie because my photos were just like the ones she had (which turn out to be yours, I guess), only mirror images.

When we booked, it was a sale and all I could get was SC gty. I hoped and prayed for a corner cabin, and was thrilled when I got one. And what a view for going through the canal! People all want to be up at the front, but you get a good view of the "workings" from the back, too. And you have the advantages of comfy chairs, no crowds, and room service! What's not to like?!?

• 2 weeks later...

Zuiderdam 7151 Corner Aft

We have done the Panama Canal on a different line. Covered is the way to go, but as you will see in these photos the very long side balcony here is covered while the true aft area is only covered partially.

dscn0041-300x225.jpg

dscn0039-300x225.jpg

dscn0042-300x225.jpg

dscn0043-300x225.jpg

It would be really nice to have space all by yourself where other passengers can not crowd you while going through the canal. The aft is a great spot to watch the gates close!

We loved our canal transit so much we booked another one for 2012 and want to book for 2014 when the new locks are open.

We have blog links below with pictures of the Zuiderdam and of our transit and port stops on the Canal trip on the Coral Princess.

If you love coffee. Make sure to stop and see Coffee John in Puntarenas Costa Rica at the market just next to the pier. Tarrazu Coffee Beans are even better than Kona.

Enjoy your cruise,

Lin

• 3 months later...

What are those ladders leading down from a balcony on the lowest level pictured?

What are those ladders leading down from a balcony on the lowest level pictured?

I think they are for Window Washers...... At least that is what I read here many many months ago. They are moveable from starboard to port in order to wash the MDR windows.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Beautiful accommodations...the long side wrap balcony and the deep aft balcony. We have never cruised HAL, but are thinking of the R/T Vancouver for May 2013. (We are going to Hawaii on the POA in 2012). Our yearly cruise is usually to Alaska with Princess. We usually have the last mini suite toward the aft on the Emerald Deck. Nice balcony, but nothing like the pictures of the aft wrap on the Zuidy.

Just for curosity I priced the R/T Vancouver for May 2012 in the wrap aft and I am sooooo sad to say that it is totally out of my price range. To those that can afford it, have a wonderful time and enjoy.

• 5 years later...
We were on the Zuid. in Nov., 2009, in VA8134. The upgrade fairy visited us! We loved it--only noticed noise from upstairs once in 12 days. The balcony was damp every morning.l We had a side balcony on an earlier Alaska cruise, and enjoyed this one even more. Have fun!:D

HiWe will be in that exact room in July on the Zuiderham. Do you have any photos of the room or balcony? Is the balcony large? Do you hear the Lido deck while on balcony or room? :confused: