Weather in Western Meditteranean--Sept 17th vs Nov 6th Departure

usermom

Wondering if anyone can give me input on whether or not we will be disappointed if we go on a cruise Nov 6th to the Western Meditteranean (Rome, Barcelona, Florence)? The benefits are we would get to arrive and depart from 2 different cities so we would stay in those cities for 2 additional nights. It would not be as hectic. Or should we just do a 7 night cruise in Sept that includes thes 3 places we would like to go to?

Wondering if anyone can give me input on whether or not we will be disappointed if we go on a cruise Nov 6th to the Western Meditteranean (Rome, Barcelona, Florence)? The benefits are we would get to arrive and depart from 2 different cities so we would stay in those cities for 2 additional nights. It would not be as hectic. Or should we just do a 7 night cruise in Sept that includes thes 3 places we would like to go to?

We did the Western Mediterranean last summer - August. The weather was perfect, but we are used to hot weather, living in southern California.

Our cruise was round trip from Rome, so we did 4 days pre-cruise in Rome. We used Romeinlimo for all of our tours and transfers, and they were fabulous.

Our ports were:

Civitavecchia

Cannes - we went to Nice, Eze and St. Paul de Vence with Revelation Tours.

Barcelona - we went to Montserrat and did a Barcelona city highlights tour with Spanish Trails Adventure

Palma de Mallorca - used Princess cruise line excursion

Sea Day

Tunisia - used ship excursion to Carthage

Trapani - used Romeinlimo

Civitavecchia

The cruise was wonderful, just too short! Seven days is not long enough considering how much airfare is.

When your cruise embarks in one port and ends in a different port there is the advantage of being able to spend extended time in those cities. I see that as a big plus.

You may want to check average temperatures for November and September is that is going to be a deciding factor for you.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!

If you want fewer crowds and don't need beach weather, November can be great. Airfare may be lower too. For walking about it should be much more comfortable.

Our trip in Nov. 2009 started in Rome and went east. Rome and Sorrento on Nov. 14 and 15 were warm enough to eat outside.

We did the Western Mediterranean last summer - August. The weather was perfect, but we are used to hot weather, living in southern California.

Our cruise was round trip from Rome, so we did 4 days pre-cruise in Rome. We used Romeinlimo for all of our tours and transfers, and they were fabulous.

Our ports were:

Civitavecchia

Cannes - we went to Nice, Eze and St. Paul de Vence with Revelation Tours.

Barcelona - we went to Montserrat and did a Barcelona city highlights tour with Spanish Trails Adventure

Palma de Mallorca - used Princess cruise line excursion

Sea Day

Tunisia - used ship excursion to Carthage

Trapani - used Romeinlimo

Civitavecchia

The cruise was wonderful, just too short! Seven days is not long enough considering how much airfare is.

When your cruise embarks in one port and ends in a different port there is the advantage of being able to spend extended time in those cities. I see that as a big plus.

You may want to check average temperatures for November and September is that is going to be a deciding factor for you.

Whatever you choose, have a wonderful time!

I will pipe in because I live in the Med.

I think this depends on how important sunshine is to your holiday. You will get much better weather in September than November. November can be lovely but there is a risk of rain and temperatures of around 16 degrees C. The sea may be a little rougher (but you would have to ask someone who has cruised in November, I am just guessing there). If you really want to see places, buildings and churches, this may not matter.

If you want to go home having sat in the sun in Europe I would choose September. I love the idea of being able to explore 2 cities before and after the cruise, I enjoy a pleasant climate most of the year, so for me a vacation is to see places. I would probably choose the itinerary and go for November.

I am sure that no one could be disappointed having visited Rome, Barcelona and Florence whatever time of the year.

Thanks so much everyone for your great suggestions. I'm thinking we will be trying to see as much as possible so I will probably pick the November itinerary, but I would love a beach day. I just don't want to spend my vacation in the pouring rain.

We did our first trip the very end of November...... it was awesome. No crowds, no lines, no traffic !!! Airfare much cheaper as was the cruise. We began in Rome and ended in Barcelona. Stayed extra days in both.

While the nights were cold, the days were perfect for sightseeing ! While in Pompeii it was quite warm.....like sweating warm but not uncomfortably so. I personally would much rather carry a light sweater and use it if needed than sweat like crazy ! I will agree - no beach time for us that trip. But - our next trip was early/mid May and it was still too cool for the beach. Not too bad for us tho as we were not in Europe for the beach.

Going in September you'll still be able to swim in the Mediterraean. Not so in November, but the weather should still be very pleasant. I visited my daughter in Florence last year on December 4th and stayed 10 days. One day was chilly and overcast but the rest were sunny and pleasant. A light wool jacket was all I needed; that and a big challis scarf I bought in the mercado. A few days were warm enough that a Polartec jacket was fine. Seeing that you live in Connecticut, November weather in Europe will be a piece of cake compared to what you get at home!

Archived