Smoke smell in an inside cabin

gargoyle999

DW and I will be sailing on the Splendor next Sunday and will have a PT cabin. We sailed in our first inside cabin on the Imagination last Nov and thought it was nice (great actually for the price) except for the smoke smell in the cabin.

Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for something to bring that will help remove smoke smell from the cabin?

Some of the cabins on Imagination have ventilation issues - we had that same problem on the upper deck on that ship.

We've never had the issue on any other ship. I do, however, carry a small spray bottle of Febreeze - they can also come in and run an ozone machine in your room and change out the bedspreads if needed (if there was a smoker in the room before you).

The Imagination had problems, if I remember right, on the starboard side of the forward upper deck. My mom and sister were midship on the same deck - no issues. My mother in law was in the same cabin location as me, but on the port side - no issues. My dd and her friend were in an inside aft cabin on the same deck - no issues. The cabin steward said there was nothing he could do, it was coming through the vents. He was 100% correct - you could SEE it coming in. We shared ventilation with a lounge. THis is only an issue with a few cabins on the Fantasy class, according to our steward. Don't worry too much about it and I hope you have a great cruise.

I was just at Walmart today, and in the pharmacy/toiletries area where they have travel sized supplies, there was travel sized Febreeze. That might be worth a try.

We picked one up yesterday! Though I have previously tried Febreeze for my two big sticky dogs and it didn't really seem to help. :eek: So that is why I'm not sure it will help with smoke smell.

We used to take Renuzit in a spray bottle. But can't find it locally anymore. We switched to Febreeze that works just as well.

DW buys a new bottle for every cruise and packs it in a ziploc. Never had a problem. Whatever is left we give to the room steward for their own cabin. They always seem to appreciate it. One even said that he wondered why our cabin smelled so good when he went in.

We just use it to prevent "funky-cabin-odor":p We've never had an issue with residual smoke odor in any cabin including insides.

Charlie

The Imagination had problems, if I remember right, on the starboard side of the forward upper deck.

Interesting! We were almost all the way forward on the starboard side on the Empress deck. It was very strong in the hallway and inside the cabin.

That is good to know the steward can try to do something. The Imagination was only 4 nights. This will be 2 weeks in the cabin! So if there is an issue and the febreeze doesn't seem enough we'll ask the steward for some assistance. :)

Just thinking - "smoke smell" is a pretty generalized term... tobacco smoke? Diesel (and other mechanical) smoke? Electrical smoke? Any of those can be found on a crusie ship. I've already seen Febreze and Ozium mentioned here. Both work but need repeated applications. Febreeze has its own scent, Ozium does not unless you use too much.

As a side note, someone mentioned big sticky (stinky?) dogs. 1) They won't be on the ship. 2) Check with your vet or PetSmart about deodorizers for pet areas. That's why I stopped raising Chows and started keeping Yorkies and Doxies. They're easier to keep clean and they won't stink up the place too bad unless you let them get a head start...

Forgot to mention it - though they now make air sprays, Febreze (checked the spelling) was originally intended to be sprayed directly on whatever is holding the smells (curtains, bedding, etc.) and only works well on porous materials like fabric. Those travel-size bottles are probably the fabric deodorizer, not the air spray.

Wouldn't you know, nicotine is the hardest scent to remove or cover in a living space.

Ozium. It's what they use in those mega blaster things on the ship. You can buy it in the auto department at WalMart... costs about $5.00. I doubt you'll notice a smoke smell, but just in case...

why should anyone have to incur the costs of an "odor coverup" for cigarette smoke when the cruiseline is capable of doing that for you at no cost ! :confused::confused::confused:

why should anyone have to incur the costs of an "odor coverup" for cigarette smoke when the cruiseline is capable of doing that for you at no cost ! :confused::confused::confused:

Because unfortunantly that is not always the case.

We had that experience on the Fantasy in May. The cabin steward brought in the machine TWICE, sprayed and replaced all the soft items (pillows, duvets, etc etc)

I still had to use Ozuim in the cabin.

It took 2 days but we finally got 95% of it out.

Because unfortunantly that is not always the case.

We had that experience on the Fantasy in May. The cabin steward brought in the machine TWICE, sprayed and replaced all the soft items (pillows, duvets, etc etc)

I still had to use Ozuim in the cabin.

It took 2 days but we finally got 95% of it out.

So you are saying that YOUR "ozium" was better than the cruiselines ? And how in the heck can you state a % of it was cleared up with any accuracy? Hogwash

Oh puh-leeeze. I was ANSWERING the OP's question. :rolleyes: Nothing more. Of course, one would report this to the cabin steward or guest services to address it. Duhhh.

Oh puh-leeeze. I was ANSWERING the OP's question. :rolleyes: Nothing more. Of course, one would report this to the cabin steward or guest services to address it. Duhhh.

Puh-leeeeeze... I too answered the OP's question......and merely stated the stateroom attendant should be able to correct w/out the need to purchase and tote along unnecessary items ! DUH right back at ya !

ok

I am just going to take a guess here.

The ship is just now sailing again as of this weekend after

3 months of drydock repairs and renovations.

I would think that at sailing time there were no smoke smells

left from previous voyagers.

If you "happen" to get a cabin that is being smoked in this week

..for the first time in at least 3 months, call your cabin steward.

I have no facts or mathematical equations for some of you that want to see proof,

but I think the odds are in your favor of getting a nice clean fresh smelling cabin.

Puh-leeeeeze... I too answered the OP's question......and merely stated the stateroom attendant should be able to correct w/out the need to purchase and tote along unnecessary items ! DUH right back at ya !

But you QUOTED me in your response to the OP. :confused: So I replied to YOU. :D

Archived