Best Po'Boys in NOLA

travelgip

I would say no to Parasol's - if you are in that area go to Tracy's

http://traceysnola.com/

http://www.neworleans.com/food/new-orleans-food/455487-rip-parasols-.html

Mother's is good, but a little overpriced and could be a line a mile long.

Johnny's is good and in the French Quarter. If looking for a seafood poboy, hard to beat Acme.

Another place to try might be P&G

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/57/621450/restaurant/Central-Business-District/P-G-Restaurant-Bar-New-Orleans

If you have a car, Parkway is good. I grew up on Domilise's poboys.

The best po-boy joints are little places in the suburbs. There are two in my neighborhood that I think are far better than anything downtown or in the French Quarter. That info won't do you much good without a car, though.

Johnny's on St. Louis Street does a pretty good roast beef. Ask for extra gravy. Verti Mart on Royal Street is good, but does take-out only. Commerce Restaurant at 300 Camp and Serio's at 133 St. Charles (both in the CBD) do good sandwiches, but are only open for lunch.

Deannie's at 841 Iberville does excellent fried seafood (shrimp, oysters, catfish) sandwiches. I think they are better than Acme. Even without the longs lines, I've never been a fan of Mother's.

The best po-boy joints are little places in the suburbs. There are two in my neighborhood that I think are far better than anything downtown or in the French Quarter. That info won't do you much good without a car, though.

Johnny's on St. Louis Street does a pretty good roast beef. Ask for extra gravy. Verti Mart on Royal Street is good, but does take-out only. Commerce Restaurant at 300 Camp and Serio's at 133 St. Charles (both in the CBD) do good sandwiches, but are only open for lunch.

Deannie's at 841 Iberville does excellent fried seafood (shrimp, oysters, catfish) sandwiches. I think they are better than Acme. Even without the longs lines, I've never been a fan of Mother's.

I agree that some of the best food is in neighborhood joints and restaurants.

Has Verti Mart ever reopened? I know they had a fire. Used to be great for delivery - even to your bar stool in the French Quarter!

http://www.vertimarte.com/

aha - according to Facebook, they are - Outstanding!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Verti-Marte/116056521770769?v=wall

Deanie's is a much better value than Acme, and definitely doesn't have the lines. I don't recall my opinion of their poboys, however. I did have a pretty good oyster poboy at Mother's at Christmas, but it was pricey!

DSC_1015.JPG

So what two do you like in the burbs? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Never tried Serio's, not sure if I've tried Commerce, but two more to add to my list! :)

P1100506.JPG

P1100505.JPG

Verti Mart re-opened about two weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet, but it was sure good before the fire.

The oyster po-boy at Deanie's is $11.95. It isn't quite up to pre-BP standards yet, but still very good.

Koz's at 515 Harrison Avenue has outstanding roast beef. I'm not sure about the other sandwiches: I can never pass on the beef.

Dixie Chicken & Ribs at 6264 Argonne Blvd. has good sandwiches, excellent seafood gumbo and the best fried chicken in the city.

Verti Mart re-opened about two weeks ago. Haven't tried it yet, but it was sure good before the fire.

The oyster po-boy at Deanie's is $11.95. It isn't quite up to pre-BP standards yet, but still very good.

Koz's at 515 Harrison Avenue has outstanding roast beef. I'm not sure about the other sandwiches: I can never pass on the beef.

Dixie Chicken & Ribs at 6264 Argonne Blvd. has good sandwiches, excellent seafood gumbo and the best fried chicken in the city.

Thank you. I'll have to check them out. :)

Personally, I prefer po-boys with heated or toasted bread, but some of the best hamburger and hot sausage po-boys on unheated bread come from Shortstop Po-boys on Transcontinental at Airline. Cheap, good and fast!

The best roasted duck po-boy is at Crabby Jacks on Jefferson Hwy. :) Always crowded but the best places always are.

In January, we went to Johnny's. I ordered the roast beef with gravy while my friends enjoyed one fried oyster and one fried shrimp po boy.

It was convenient as it was in the French Quarter and close to their hotel (Omni NO). We got there at 11:45am right before the lunch rush and got a seat in the back room. Place your order with the lady behind the cash register, pay, then wait for your order to be called/yelled out. The tables will have napkin dispensers which you will undoubtedly need lots of. Can't beat the place for atmosphere :-D

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a car, Palermo's World Deli on Clearview and West Esplanade (in Metairie) gets my vote for the best roast beef po boy in New Orleans.

Johnny's or P&G if you are in the French Quarter, and Deanie's also in the Quarter get second votes from me. Verti Mart is awesome too, but again, take out only. Also, I can't personally vouch for them post fire.

I like the Debris po boy at Mother's, but the only reason I can think of not to go is because the lines are crazy: try to find out their hours and go at a "weird" time.

Have a great time!

I just got off the plane from NOLA this evening. One of the best (we think) is the roast beef Po'Boy at Ignatius on Magazine (4200 block). We had it for lunch today. I also vote for Johnny's on St. Louis between Chatres & Decatur in the French Quarter which may be more convenient if you don't have transportation. You could take the St. Charles streetcar and walk over to Magazine or take a taxi.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to Mother's when we were down last time and it was AMAZING. It was a little on the pricey side, but totally worth it. There wasn't a line when we went, but shortly after we arrived and sat down the line started building and when we drove by one time there was a line out the door so you just have to pick your times!

• 4 weeks later...

BBQ shrimp po boy at Liuzza's by the track is awesome. Also have to agree on Johnny's, they are quite good. I was unimpressed by Mother's, mostly because of the hype and long line, wasn't as good as the others.

• 2 months later...

Archived